Jimmy Bond

Guardian article: Police naming and shaming WGs in NOTW

12 posts in this topic

surely if they havent been charged with anything this is libelous???

Interestingly

A Met spokesman said the asbos against the Newham women had been used as a last resort because they were persistent offenders, and that decisions to publicise the identities of people issued with asbos were made on a case-by-case basis.

The problem here, as I see it, is whether the dregs of society deserve their innocence/guilt protecting

"Operation Monaco was launched in May 2009 but police have admitted that just one charge of controlling a prostitute for gain has been made, as well as 52 charges for placing cards in phone boxes advertising sexual services."

Looks like Operation Monaco will be the same as Pentameter 1 and 2. A complete waste of public money which can only disrupt the lives of the people they claim they want to rescue.

The police are really heading for a fall. I keep saying it but they keep acting like imbeciles and they're going to get sued. They're rolling over women who are working voluntarily, then arresting their clients with no grounds to do so, and they'll probably keep the 50 quid claiming it's the proceeds of crime as two women working together is a brothel...then they'll wonder what happened when a bunch of WGs turn up dead in a flat because they didn't call the police.

The police are really heading for a fall. I keep saying it but they keep acting like imbeciles and they're going to get sued. They're rolling over women who are working voluntarily, then arresting their clients with no grounds to do so, and they'll probably keep the 50 quid claiming it's the proceeds of crime as two women working together is a brothel...then they'll wonder what happened when a bunch of WGs turn up dead in a flat because they didn't call the police.

Too true. Then the real criminals prosper in this environment. They can steal, threaten from small brothels, knowing full well nobody will go to the police and complain.

From what I've read, Operation Monaco has mostly been focussing on the littering problem caused by the cards, which makes this incident look even more ridiculous for the police. I can almost imagine the pre-raid conversation:

Policeman 1: I didn't join the force to clean cards out of phone boxes.

Policeman 2: Neither did I, let's raid one of these brothels like cops on the telly do.

Policeman 1: Yeah, that sounds cool. Let's get the papers in to take pictures and write about how awesome it was.

Policeman 3: Can we actually arrest anyone for anything? We should check...

Policeman 2: Stop being a wuss and look up the phone numbers of the papers.

surely if they havent been charged with anything this is libelous???

Sounds that this could be, any comments from the legal eagles on here?

The police are really heading for a fall. I keep saying it but they keep acting like imbeciles and they're going to get sued.

And from the Guardian article:

A Met spokesman said the asbos against the Newham women had been used as a last resort because they were persistent offenders, and that decisions to publicise the identities of people issued with asbos were made on a case-by-case basis.

"Association of Chief Police Officers guidelines clearly state that working with the media on operations can assist in the prevention and detection of crime."

ACPO is not the government or pasrliament of our country - it should stop making the laws!

Even so, without a reference to the guidelines (which are alleged to be clear) I wonder whether even ACPO intended that NotW should come along on raids, and, IMHO, trespass on private property?

...and further to my last (quoting the Met's reliance on ACPO guidelines to justify NotW "scoop") go here : http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1726356/police-investigating-press-photographer-incident and find that we are by no means the only group who get endless hassle from the Police, who use their own in house "guidelines" to justify whatever they do, whether the coin falls heads or tails!

We are still in a financial criss that was largely caused by institutions and individuals they employed having a vested interest i(I>E a quick megabuck) in anti society deals.

The "Procceds of crime law gives just the same incentives to the police and CPS.

I would not argue with the principle that criminals must not keep the prodeeds of crime but the asset recovered should NOT go to to Police & CPS but either to general revenues or to fund social projects that might help prevent crime.

And from the Guardian article:

"Association of Chief Police Officers guidelines clearly state that working with the media on operations can assist in the prevention and detection of crime."

ACPO is not the government or pasrliament of our country - it should stop making the laws!

Even so, without a reference to the guidelines (which are alleged to be clear) I wonder whether even ACPO intended that NotW should come along on raids, and, IMHO, trespass on private property?

Hadn't thought of it as trespassing, but I guess you're right that the search warrant only permits the police to enter the property, and doesn't give them the right to invite journalists inside.

Wouldn't be the first time the police were guilty of/complicit in trespassing though....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261742/Exeter-Police-accused-trespass-burgling-50-homes.html

They did eventually drop the scheme due to the legal issues raised in this article.