Wayne King

Disable File Sorting in Win 7

4 posts in this topic

Having just moved to Win 7 I have just noticed that I can no longer sort files in the order of my preference. Files are now automatically sorted depending on the selected order defined by windows i.e. Date, Name, Size, Type etc.

This is very frustrating as I like to view photos in an order I prefer not one dictated by the software.

Can anyone tell me is there is a fix or a work around as a search on google turn up nothing that worked.

Thanks

Having just moved to Win 7 I have just noticed that I can no longer sort files in the order of my preference. Files are now automatically sorted depending on the selected order defined by windows i.e. Date, Name, Size, Type etc.

This is very frustrating as I like to view photos in an order I prefer not one dictated by the software.

Can anyone tell me is there is a fix or a work around as a search on google turn up nothing that worked.

Thanks

I think this is what you are looking for although I'm not entirely sure that I know exactly what you want.

I think this is what you are looking for although I'm not entirely sure that I know exactly what you want.

The auto arrange feature was removed for locations other than the Desktop in Windows 7.

It's not a problem for me, but it does seem to have caused considerable frustration for many, many people and as you would expect there are workarounds to resolve this issue and there are plenty of Google results for people complaining about this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+7+auto+arrange+folder+icons

There's possibly some other solutions in the above search results including links to actual .reg files which mean that the Registry doesn't have to manually edited. ;)

B

Thanx a lot the link from SaSfan worked a treat. Just download the zipped reg file (which nicely comes with an undo) ran it and presto worked in less than 3 secs. Spent a couple of hours reading and trying a some other reg edit solutions that failed.

I love you guys...

I know its a small thing but I used it a lot when viewing photos so its a relief to find a solution. Shows the power of forum communities when even a search of google didn't give me the answer. I'll be able to pass it on to others now.

Thanks SaSfan and bacchus