vivluvsme

no sound on PC

4 posts in this topic

Hi

Have bought a secondhand machine (I know but no money) and while it has a sound card and even a very sophisticated extra sound unit in the front, it makes no sound at all.

Obviously you would want to get it in your hands to sort it out if you were willing to but is there a likely process I can go through to, say, disable anything already there that's conflicting and just get basic sound?

Looking forward to hearing from you ;)

VLM

Hi

Have bought a secondhand machine (I know but no money) and while it has a sound card and even a very sophisticated extra sound unit in the front, it makes no sound at all.

Obviously you would want to get it in your hands to sort it out if you were willing to but is there a likely process I can go through to, say, disable anything already there that's conflicting and just get basic sound?

VLM

Hi, you could try the following to see if it's a software issue. I'm assuming you're running some version of Windows here!

- go to My Computer -> properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager, do you have a device below the 'Sound*' category?

- If the device is there check it is not disabled (right-click to see Enable/Disable options)

- If the device is there and enabled, check if the icon/properties indicate a problem with the drivers. If so you could try the automatic 'Update Driver Software' option. This fails most of the time so maybe better to immediately go to the manufacturers website and download a set of drivers matching your windows version. The details of the device should point you to the manufacturer if unsure.

- If you have a windows version newer then XP (2003/2008, vista, 7) check if the 'Windows Audio Service' is enabled in Control panel -> Services

- If you have a properly configured audio device in there, what type of audio are you using to test? if it's something like a movie you could be missing the right decoders. There are various freeware codec-packs available with the most widely used decoders, for example k-lite. If you have a .wav file on the system try that one to verify if sound works. The decoders shipped with windows should handle that by default.

If you don't even have an audio device showing in your hardware overview then it could also be disabled in the bios. You can usually check this by pressing DEL when your machine boots and navigate through the menu to something that indicates it sets the status of the onboard audio. This only applies if the audio is built-in though, not if you have a separate sound card.

If all off the above checks out, and you've made sure that the volume isn't muted (:() it could be a connector or hardware problem. You say there is a sound unit in the front, do you mean a speaker or a set of connectors? If it is a speaker then it might not be connected if the previous owner used an external set of speakers. To check you'd need to open the case and look if the build-in front speaker is connected to the motherboard. If you do have a set of connectors in the front these could also not be properly connected. In most cases there's also a set of audio-connectors at the back of the case, try to attach a speaker to one of these. If you've got color-coded connectors the green one is usually the standard output.

Good luck

Hi

VLM

Does the sound card show up in the device list?

Thanks for all that info.

I have a parallel internet connection problem so couldn't post earlier.

During the day I have worked through most of the points you make as it happened but I think this very sophisticated audio unit which has lots of knobs on front (even fibre optic) and a card behind the front is the cause because it's the default device with lots of settings attuned to it (the previous owner apparently wrote music with it) and I can't change it to a normal sound card after removing it as it wasn't giving me anything.

Right to point out about mutes etc but were all ok as it happened.

Frustrating but VERY difficult to cure by remote control I realise.

I am really grateful for the info and I will check I haven't missed something you've said.

VLM