Guest Tonyofstoney

Mini Printer

4 posts in this topic

I find I do about 95% of my computing on my netbook, but when I need to print something I have to send it to myself then print it from my desktop, which I hardly use for anything else these days. Can anyone recommend a mini colour printer?

I know I could plug my netbook into my main printer, but that's in another room and would mean fiddling about. What I really want is something not much wider than a sheet of A4 portrait, which will just tuck away in a corner for when I want to use it. Doesn't have to be wireless, or do scanning and all that good stuff: just an easy to use, small colour printer.

Thanks.

Is your printer usb, or an older one from before USB?

if it is USB, then what i have done is to just take my netbook to the printer and plug it in. As we have several laptops in the household this works quite well.

as it is a scanner too then same applies, we scan to any of the laptops(We dont have a desktop computer)

We biught the printer before wireless printers were generally available. boo!.

only hassle is having to install the drivers for the device on each computer.

alos we have a Freecom network drive that can be seen from each computer, so sharing files is easy, and we dont keep data on the lappies.

I've got a Canon Pixma IPv90 which is a bit expensive but small and portable. New model is IPv100.

I find I do about 95% of my computing on my netbook, but when I need to print something I have to send it to myself then print it from my desktop, which I hardly use for anything else these days. Can anyone recommend a mini colour printer?

I know I could plug my netbook into my main printer, but that's in another room and would mean fiddling about. What I really want is something not much wider than a sheet of A4 portrait, which will just tuck away in a corner for when I want to use it. Doesn't have to be wireless, or do scanning and all that good stuff: just an easy to use, small colour printer.

Thanks.

Have you tried sharing the printer on the desktop and then using the desktop as a print server? Or alternatively, getting a print server that you can use over the network? (Belkin amongst others do devices which enable you to share devices in this way.)

B