markw

HTC Desire battery life

20 posts in this topic

I've decided to get one, and have been reading stuff about how much power it uses - it has to be charged every day. Lots of tips on how to extend the period between charges, such as:

turn off wifi and 3g (data connection)

turn off live wallpapers and animations

turn off the location feature which feeds data to the weather widget

One tip was to turn off HTC Sense. Is this possible? And if you do it, will it lose all the HTC widgets such as clock and weather?

Plus any other tips will be gratefully received.

Thanks, M

I've decided to get one, and have been reading stuff about how much power it uses - it has to be charged every day.

I sometimes charge my Legend twice a day. A spare battery helps. :o

(The Legend has slightly better battery life than the Desire despite having a lower capacity battery... expect it's something to do with the larger screen on the Desire.)

Lots of tips on how to extend the period between charges, such as:

You can turn off auto-sync of email etc. No point leaving wifi on if you're not using it, but I tend to leave 3G on all the time. If you are leaving wifi on you can stop it searching for open access points.

No idea about the second suggestion above, but I dim the screen when indoors.

One tip was to turn off HTC Sense. Is this possible? And if you do it, will it lose all the HTC widgets such as clock and weather?

Thanks, M

I believe that you'd have to root the phone and install vanilla Android on the phone to disable the Sense UI.

B

Thanks for the info. I've seen the other thread, but thought I'd start this as it didn't involve the iPhone, and I don't want to be off-topic!

M

I have a google android, from the same stable. Battery life is not great but i can charge it from usb so can give it a boost often.

And turning stuff off does help, same as it does with a laptop!

The Iphone is the same in terms of power usage, but the HTC is better VFM as it does the same but you dont pay double for it.

I've decided to get one, and have been reading stuff about how much power it uses - it has to be charged every day. Lots of tips on how to extend the period between charges, such as:

Thanks, M

If you are going to turn off all that, why not just turn off the phone and get a nokia 3310? ;)

Seriously, 3g is what makes the phone good.

The Iphone is the same in terms of power usage, but the HTC is better VFM as it does the same but you dont pay double for it.

I turn of wifi, GPS, sync and even the 3G broad band connection, and the phone lasted me 3-4 days. Still picked up my emails when I wanted them by turning on sync and then the 3G connection

I turn of wifi, GPS, sync and even the 3G broad band connection, and the phone lasted me 3-4 days. Still picked up my emails when I wanted them by turning on sync and then the 3G connection

I just keep a spare battery charged and handy, and then change it as required. :eek:

B

I just keep a spare battery charged and handy, and then change it as required. :eek:

B

I do festivals so maybe I need 6 batteries:)

I picked up a spare battery with a charger for about £40 it charges your phone and the spare battery at the same time.

You can also get a more powerful battery that's bigger but it comes with its own modified battery cover.

A word of warning though it you have a protective case for your phone it probably won't fit in ...

I charge my battery once a day and I use it lots ... best phone I've ever had ... wouldnt like to be without it ... lol

I'm on it now when connected to wireless It's faster than my new laptop ...

There's an app called Juice Defender in the Android Market that I've been using with some success - your phone works as normal when the screen is unlocked, but when locked, the app turns off all your data connections and checks for any updates every 15mins (or whatever period of time you wanted).

Use the default settings and you should be fine, except turn off the battery saving icon or it'll set your phone to silent when theres under 15% battery charge left.

I'm getting around double the normal battery usage by using the phone normally - though someone power-using data connections will of course get much less extra usage.

There's an app called Juice Defender in the Android Market

Sounds a great idea. The apps for HTC seems to be getting better and better. I found one thta can lock groups of callers so very secure for work, I'd hate to lose my phone with numbers in.

The same app locks mail amd messages so they need a code to read, along with other software this means 3 diff codes before you could even find the mail/message boxs which gives me peace of mind about phone security.

I sometimes charge my Legend twice a day. A spare battery helps. :D

The official line for the HTC Wildfire battery life is about right I find it lasts just a little more than a waking day, which is fine if you remember to charge your phone every night while you sleep. I like to turn mine off to avoid the night creeper calls but fiddling to mute it is a small price to pay for a silent night. (58 missed calls last night for some weird reason)

I installed the juice defender app yesterday and havent had to charge the phone yet, although it is plugged into my computer and charging next to me as I type.

Try that App before you pull your hair out, it definately works noticably well.

Now when will I be able to get Froyo

FROYO is already out but may be network dependent if your fone is locked to a network!

I have it and it is great!

FROYO is already out but may be network dependent if your fone is locked to a network!

I have it and it is great!

It's rather more complicated than that.

HTC phones have their own dedicated Sense UI which means an upgrade is not straightforward. Froyo is expect to hit 2010 HTC phones (e.g. Desire, Legend) in Q3 2010, but if it's like the Android 2.0 (now 2.1) upgrade for the Hero could take a fair bit longer.

Once HTC have released the Froyo upgrade then yes the networks have to do their own testing as they in turn usually customise Sense which will further delay matters.

Those with SIM free phones don't have to worry about that, however. :confused:

B

The official line for the HTC Wildfire battery life is about right I find it lasts just a little more than a waking day, which is fine if you remember to charge your phone every night while you sleep. I like to turn mine off to avoid the night creeper calls but fiddling to mute it is a small price to pay for a silent night. (58 missed calls last night for some weird reason)

I installed the juice defender app yesterday and havent had to charge the phone yet, although it is plugged into my computer and charging next to me as I type.

Try that App before you pull your hair out, it definately works noticably well.

Will the juice defender be available to WG's....?

I'll get me coat.

Will the juice defender be available to WG's....?

I'll get me coat.

I'm sure each and every responsible prostitute carrys her own juice defenders!