nntt

Photoshopped Photos?

16 posts in this topic

I was just looking through the photos thread and it got me wondering, if a ladies pictures are photoshopped, is there anyway to tell that?

Yes. Blow the picture up to life size and ask them to stand next to it.

What kind of editing is acceptable ? Blurring faces and tattoos to hide identity is okay surely but is airbrushing imperfections like acne scars, stretch marks, pimples?

The you have the extremes where the skin is porcelain smooth with no contours or shadows at all.

Tricky one.

I'm no expert at Photoshop or these sorts of techniques but when I've seen articles showing the 'before' and 'after' photos, if done well, the technique can be fairly subtle. It's very common in advertising and other printed media even of already beautiful women, models etc.

As far as WGs go, I think the pictures that look 'unnatural' are the ones that should ring your alarm bells.

As an example the kind of pics found here are unacceptable to me as they are not 'real' in any sense of the word look how photoshopped their faces are it looks extremely unnatural.

Not that i use agencies i prefer indies but i like a more natural picture of the lady before i make a decision. The hard thing was for a while this year a lot of girls mainly EE were getting 'glamour' shots done which made me wary of their profiles on places like ** as they just looked fake.

I was just looking through the photos thread and it got me wondering, if a ladies pictures are photoshopped, is there anyway to tell that?

Download the pic to your desktop, double click on it to open it, right click on it, then left click on 'properties'. Select the 'details' tab and look down at the origin of the photo. If it's been photoshopped, it will say it there.

Download the pic to your desktop, double click on it to open it, right click on it, then left click on 'properties'. Select the 'details' tab and look down at the origin of the photo. If it's been photoshopped, it will say it there.

Good tip! I can see Photoshop in the programme name in the Origin section. Does that mean it has definitely been manipulated or just saved in Photoshop?

Not a fail safe method. We use photoshop to resize most of images and add the watermark.

Basically follow the punter's moto, if it looks too good to be true, it generally is!

Good tip! I can see Photoshop in the programme name in the Origin section. Does that mean it has definitely been manipulated or just saved in Photoshop?

I doubt it is a failsafe method of detection, all it means is it's been through photoshop before being saved. Unfortunately, whether it's been altered in any way is another thing.

As DivineMK rightly says they use photoshop just to add a watermark to their pics. So their pics, although unaltered, would also show up as being photoshopped.

I did some checking. Downloaded one of those pix. Looked at the original at about 500% zoom and it looked un-smoothed. Put it through two methods of smoothing the image and checked those images at 500% still looked un-smoothed although at 100% they did look noticeably smoother. Then used the blur tool in photoshop and that was easy to pick up at 500% zoom.

So it seems the blur tool can be picked up, but commercial smoothing programs cannot.

Photoshop is used to make all sorts of adjustments to photos, not just hiding or deceiving. For instance my pics are probably editted using that program, but my instructions are to not change my actual appearance - only tidy the images so they are ready for upload. So whilst my photos are genuine they will probably show up as being 'shopped'.

So not necessarily a guide to reliability or not.

Photoshop is part and parcel of digital photography, so to say a pic has been photoshopped is almost always a statement of the obvious.

If you get a terrific pose but you think it would look better with the exposure or white balance tweaked in photoshop - where is the harm? The lighting might accentuate a patch of cellulite out of all proportion - are you really going to leave it? It's not all about swapping body parts or covering up leprosy.

As others have said the photo being edited in Photoshop is insufficient evidence of anything being drastically altered. All of my photos go through photoshop and the majority of the time the only adjustments will be cropping, exposure adjustment etc. If for example I took the perfect photo that didn't need any adjustment except resizing for a web page it would still show that it had been "Photoshopped".

I think common sense is the easy approach here, if you see a photo where the subject has flawless porcelain like skin with brilliant white eyes & teeth then there is a possibility that other tweaking may have taken place.

Personally I'd read reviews in order to try to get some indication of personality and if you can get that and good looks then you are on to a winner, looks alone is no guarantee of a good time though.

or it might not! If at the end of the processing in Photoshop you select "Save for web" you will strip all the Exif data out, so that you are left with no evidence, not even the date it was taken, and the date it was saved!

or it might not! If at the end of the processing in Photoshop you select "Save for web" you will strip all the Exif data out, so that you are left with no evidence, not even the date it was taken, and the date it was saved!

Agreed. It all depends in what format you save the pic as.

Exif data can also be edited externally to Photoshop.

B