cumandgo

Posting styles -- Expressing your views.

137 posts in this topic

I always think it is interesting to note how many probationary members, notwithstanding their anonymity, in their very first post or thread plead for board members to " go easy " on them. I presume they feel the need to say this because they have witnessed other posters being mauled and they dont wish to suffer the same treatment, at least until they find their feet.

I would guess that there are many members here who would like to have their say, to perhaps give a disagreeing opinion on some controversial post and generally to be more active posters but just wont do so for fear of being jumped on and being mauled to death ! Having said that, my own view is that posting on PN does provide a good training ground for debate in general as no matter what your opinion might be ,you are practically guaranteed to be met with an opposing view and therefore some effort has to be put into the thought process behind your post as otherwise you will pay the penalty and end up having to fight a rear guard action.

So, as posters do you feel PN provides a forum where all members feel encouraged to 'voice' their opinion on all matters punting or do you think many feel restricted in what they might like to say because of shyness or the fear of being castigated by the more extrovert and forceful members for something they might say and therefore stay schtum a lot of the time.?

Would you like posting styles to be different in any way or are you generally happy with the way things are ?

[ btw, no Lou, I am not making this post because I feel threatened or intimidated !! :cool: ]

Where the anonymous man/nickname is able to post as freely as his desire has him, ladies with websites and telephone numbers post as freely as they choose to.

Longer term anonymous men/nicknames are able to post with back up/encouragement/grief/piss-take from the people who've come to know their posts ...or having met him/her or it in some other manner the anonymity is only with the viewing public. This can present another dynamic of posts to the unfamiliar reader. All the above resulting in a new posters first post often reading like the first day of school. Be nice to me, I'm new here.

My posts I try to think can be read from many angles, I try to think of those angles. Some days that results in a post, often I don't feel the need to stretch. Tonight I grabbed a few thoughts, things probably missing....

In general the manners on here are considerably better than on many sites. The debate is certainly far more thoughtful than on say newspaper comments.

An advantage of a pretty regular squad (trickle of arrivals and departures) one can edit or interpret the weird.

I always think it is interesting to note how many probationary members, notwithstanding their anonymity, in their very first post or thread plead for board members to " go easy " on them. I presume they feel the need to say this because they have witnessed other posters being mauled and they dont wish to suffer the same treatment, at least until they find their feet.

I would guess that there are many members here who would like to have their say, to perhaps give a disagreeing opinion on some controversial post and generally to be more active posters but just wont do so for fear of being jumped on and being mauled to death ! Having said that, my own view is that posting on PN does provide a good training ground for debate in general as no matter what your opinion might be ,you are practically guaranteed to be met with an opposing view and therefore some effort has to be put into the thought process behind your post as otherwise you will pay the penalty and end up having to fight a rear guard action.

So, as posters do you feel PN provides a forum where all members feel encouraged to 'voice' their opinion on all matters punting or do you think many feel restricted in what they might like to say because of shyness or the fear of being castigated by the more extrovert and forceful members for something they might say and therefore stay schtum a lot of the time.?

Would you like posting styles to be different in any way or are you generally happy with the way things are ?

[ btw, no Lou, I am not making this post because I feel threatened or intimidated !! :cool: ]

I do love the different colourful characters on this forum/site. It makes for interesting conversation, different outlooks and opinions come into the mix of things.

Personally, I tend to steer away from anything 'harsh' deliberate argumentative,

not that I like everything to be nice all the time- well I would prefer that, but it's not realistic view that everything is alway's nice! ;)

I keep an open mind and give my honest opinion on subjects- whether that is nice or not depends on what subject matter is, sometimes can come across at times as blunt/sharp.

I think it is quite easy to misinterprete posts, especially if you don't know the person.

I have met guy's from here that shout their mouths off- then in reality are little pussy cats lol.

I would consider myself to be a little Door mouse in reality to my posts. :):D xxx

I think things can easily get misinterpreted as I said earlier in my post.

Definitely agree with this statement. I'm sure plenty of threads have spiralled out of hand due to misinterpretation and even worse with 'mass misinterpretation'. The best threads are when there seems to be a balance of views coming from different directions that keep the topic alive and centre of attention.

I always think it is interesting to note how many probationary members, notwithstanding their anonymity, in their very first post or thread plead for board members to " go easy " on them. I presume they feel the need to say this because they have witnessed other posters being mauled and they don't wish to suffer the same treatment, at least until they find their feet.

From my POV, certain times one does have to curtail the first thought in ones head.

This board has the ability unlike most other boards of producing emotion evoking thoughts and responses.

It is also a public forum that deals with real life goings on.

Experiences related to others via the medium of the written word, unfortunately as you are not in the room with the person typing the response you can't gauge the emotional content of the response.

Half the time what is typed is not what was meant, certain things need clarification and at the end of the day the written word even with a vast amount of smileys will not give you facial expressions and the context of what was said, compared to speaking.

I don't frequent the board as much as I would like to and yes I will look and not reply because I know half of the time even when in agreement with something, someone will invariably be along to tell me I am wrong.

That's fine you don't have to agree with me, but at the same time agreeing with someone and having them still say your wrong is a bit silly even to the most frivolous of people.

In short I avoid the board half the time purely because I can't be bothered to defend myself it takes up to much time that I can use elsewhere.

I use mostly the chatroom which is more sedate, we have the same discussions and discuss the threads there, and even when we disagree it's not so bitchy as the forum itself.

Occasionally I will pop a post on the board, but if I am frankly honest the board is fast loosing its appeal to converse with people.

I will defend my post and perspective when challenged but even then, half the time I just can't be bothered because why fight a loosing battle?

I am well aware that I am not always right, but that does not devalue what I have to say , as is often quoted it is my opinion and that is all it is.

Most jokes and humour unless explicitly stated falls on deaf ears, and most assume that you are being aggressive etc when in fact your not.

As Highland said this board is funded by WG's adverts, and the FR system is set up for mutual benefit (both for the punters to find good WG's and the girls to get clients)

But the forum is not set up for punters or WG's it is there for both to use.

Just because we pay our adverts doesn't mean that his opinion is any less valued.

I am sure it is valued and he does have a way of taking things out of context and seeing other sides of what was said, that is not to say, what he say's is invaluable but at the same time it may not be what the poster meant.

So as I said, the written word does not always come across in the correct context.

But that is the joy of the board, sometimes out of context is a good thing and can provide a thought provoking discussion, and sometimes it is not, and takes what a poster meant out of the right context and make it into an argument.

This has the potential to be a very useful thread if, as has been the case so far, all parties concerned stay calm and discuss rationally.

The Moderating team are watching the boards very closely at present as we do not wish to see this forum degenerate into the mud-slinging matches that so often have happened on other forums.

Posters are of course encouraged to express their views, both on this and on all the other topics here for discussion. But it is always wise to re-read what you have written before pressing the 'send' button - and if you're able to put yourself into the readers shoes whilst doing this it often leads to a swift re-write!

We want the Punternet forum to continue to be a welcoming place where Service Providers and Service Seekers can come to talk about something which most of us cannot discuss in our day-to-day lives. To this end, it may be wiser for some posters to drop their attempts to crusade and convert others, and simply accept that our differences in outlook and opinions are what makes such richness when woven into the Punternet tapestry.

Well I for one think that the board has calmed down, being moderated well and become very tame to what it was a few years back and long may it continue.

You will always have differences of opinions and strong characters and rightly so, the forum would be boring if you didn't and many like me wouldn't still be here ten years down the line.

To this end, it may be wiser for some posters to drop their attempts to crusade and convert others,

That's a good point, where is Beachey when you need him?

This has the potential to be a very useful thread if, as has been the case so far, all parties concerned stay calm and discuss rationally.

The Moderating team are watching the boards very closely at present as we do not wish to see this forum degenerate into the mud-slinging matches that so often have happened on other forums.

Posters are of course encouraged to express their views, both on this and on all the other topics here for discussion. But it is always wise to re-read what you have written before pressing the 'send' button - and if you're able to put yourself into the readers shoes whilst doing this it often leads to a swift re-write!

We want the Punternet forum to continue to be a welcoming place where Service Providers and Service Seekers can come to talk about something which most of us cannot discuss in our day-to-day lives. To this end, it may be wiser for some posters to drop their attempts to crusade and convert others, and simply accept that our differences in outlook and opinions are what makes such richness when woven into the Punternet tapestry.

I dont necessarily go along with this. I think its important that if someone ferverently believes in something that they should be allowed to take issue with another poster, point out that they believe them to be wrong and to try win them over through good advocacy. It would be very boring if everyone just gave their views and never challenged views held by others -- we cant all be right , it cant be 'each to their own ' all of the time !

The key in my view is to temper the language used in the replying post. There is no judge to say who is right or wrong anyway, and once you go 'over the line ' and emotions take over that is the end of the discussion, it doesn't matter what the line of logic is, the debate is doomed to fail.I think we all know when we use particular words or emotive language, what the effect is going to be but because we feel angry or whatever at that time, you want to put the boot in and you click the send button accordingly--- unfortunately that tends to lead to the downward spiral and the issue under discussion becomes lost in the mud slinging.

As regards mis-interpretation, I sometimes feel this is deliberate . As an example , people can pick on the absolute and use this to make a post. Off the top of my head, something like " I always bring rich chocolates for the WGs I visit, as we know all women love choclates ! ". Now a response might be " Well I can tell you Sir,I am not all women. I'm a very successfull WG and I hate chocolate in fact and my clients respect my individuality and never bring chocolates or any other ' bribe ' for that matter and I give them just as good a time --- we are not all fat, choc guzzling hussies you know !! " Not a great illustration but you get my drift ?

Anyway, from a reading of other boards, notwithstanding the odd hiccup, I think this forum is streets ahead of the others which are either lethargic and uninteresting or alternatively regularly disintegrate into foul language and name calling.

Keep on debating ! :cool:

As regards mis-interpretation, I sometimes feel this is deliberate . As an example , people can pick on the absolute and use this to make a post. Off the top of my head, something like " I always bring rich chocolates for the WGs I visit, as we know all women love choclates ! ". Now a response might be " Well I can tell you Sir,I am not all women. I'm a very successfull WG and I hate chocolate in fact and my clients respect my individuality and never bring chocolates or any other ' bribe ' for that matter and I give them just as good a time --- we are not all fat, choc guzzling hussies you know !! " Not a great illustration but you get my drift ?

And the expected reply would be :-

"So Madam, you are saying that I do not respect individuality and use chocolates as a "bribe" are you, well let me tell you that ............".

I have deleted three posts from this thread.

I would ask that the posters whose posts have gone, repost them without specific mentions of other posters designed to antagonise.

I am sorry to have to censor this thread but as I have personally requested it not to be removed, I would grateful if you would all now attempt to keep the thread non-specific.

Thankyou.

To answer the question, a bit of a rarity in itself as far as I am concerned, no I don't think that "PN provides a forum where all members feel encouraged to 'voice' their opinion on all matters punting". Now I think that this is more by accident rather than design, however in the main both the old board and this new one is more of a "statement" board rather than a "discussion" board, and the questioning of such statements is taken to be, by definition, a personal attack. Having said that, I do not feel restricted in what I post and do not give castigation a single thought.

But proselytizing is part of my job description :cool:;)

But proselytizing is part of my job description :cool:;)

Do we include using big words in your job description too? I had to go google that one!

- Proselytize

pros

Yes, I would like to see the use of Rolly Eyes icon banned. Annoys the hell out of me.

Yes, I would like to see the use of Rolly Eyes icon banned. Annoys the hell out of me.

Yep a firm msuggestion, I can understand that. It is a very provocative ' smiley ' and is really meant to convey " you havent a clue " or ' you're a bit of an eejit ' or ' what a load of twat '. Yes it is destructive, a put down.

Yep a firm msuggestion, I can understand that. It is a very provocative ' smiley ' and is really meant to convey " you havent a clue " or ' you're a bit of an eejit ' or ' what a load of twat '. Yes it is destructive, a put down.

It sometimes saves time especially if you're not in the mood to type a long-winded response to a suggestion that is patently idiotic or absurb.

But you knew that anyway :cool:

Edited by kennyroche
Made sure the post wasn't offensive :)

It sometimes saves time especially if you're not in the mood to type a long-winded response to a suggestion that is patently idiotic

Yes but that is assuming the poster using the icon is a non-idiot himself and there is no proof of that.

It sometimes saves time especially if you're not in the mood to type a long-winded response to a suggestion that is patently idiotic or absurb.

But of course it also allows a poster to avoid giving a reasoned response whilst pretending to convey that he/her has one in his/her back pocket ! ;)

Yes but that is assuming the poster using the icon is a non-idiot himself and there is no proof of that.

Fair point, Fred

I actually like to see the idiots, the brainiacs, the wgs, the punters etc etc using whatever is available to them during the debate. I really don't like having any foolish responses nor any insults hidden from me by moderation. Even "touting" for business can be good fun to read sometimes.

nor any insults hidden from me by moderation.

Seconded.  ‏  ‏  ‏  

Fair point, Fred

I actually like to see the idiots, the brainiacs, the wgs, the punters etc etc using whatever is available to them during the debate. I really don't like having any foolish responses nor any insults hidden from me by moderation. Even "touting" for business can be good fun to read sometimes.

Right you are, kennyroche

I do love the different colourful characters on this forum/site. It makes for interesting conversation, different outlooks and opinions come into the mix of things.

I tend to agree there are colourful characters, and it does make intresting reading....what I hate though, is when someone posts what they think is true, and it gets hammered by a group of folk who seem to take delight in trying to slight someone.

Its like a pack of hounds trying to catch a fox, with the redcoats on horseback baying for blood.

Like, der, that's the point of it. ;)

(The use of :) above could perhaps be considered to be ironic, but many say that irony is dead. :cool:)

B