Anthologist

The African WGs in London Mystery

8 posts in this topic

This is a mystery and a bit of a tangent on a legalities & legislation board thread at the moment. The Poppy Project trafficked accommodation, we are told, is apparently choc full of Africans. Speculation is rife as to their origin. Yeah, OK, they come from Africa, but their IMMEDIATE origin, like Hackney or Newham or wherever.

Anthony Steen, who chairs the UK Human trafficking Centre, is reported as saying:

"the accommodation units for trafficked women are entirely taken up with women from Africa."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-report-into-brothels-dismissed-as-amateurish-2053046.html

Thing is, London's sex industry does not seem to be running alive with Africans. Bangs, yes, bongo drums, no. So where on earth are they coming from?

The new Project Acumen Setting the Record report on trafficking took a sample of 210 migrant sex workers across England and Wales, amongst whom there were only four Africans (three Zimbabweans and a Kenyan, none of whom were deemed trafficked). It says the Africans at Poppy "may" be from "closed markets", which apparently don't advertise openly and were beyond its remit, but closed markets are supposedly very small.

Other speculation suggests they're coming from the Detention Centres, or may be taken direct to Poppy from the airports or docks by the Border Agency.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this mystery?

This is a mystery and a bit of a tangent on a legalities & legislation board thread at the moment. The Poppy Project trafficked accommodation, we are told, is apparently choc full of Africans. Speculation is rife as to their origin. Yeah, OK, they come from Africa, but their IMMEDIATE origin, like Hackney or Newham or wherever.

Anthony Steen, who chairs the UK Human trafficking Centre, is reported as saying:

"the accommodation units for trafficked women are entirely taken up with women from Africa."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-report-into-brothels-dismissed-as-amateurish-2053046.html

Thing is, London's sex industry does not seem to be running alive with Africans. Bangs, yes, bongo drums, no. So where on earth are they coming from?

The new Project Acumen Setting the Record report on trafficking took a sample of 210 migrant sex workers across England and Wales, amongst whom there were only four Africans (three Zimbabweans and a Kenyan, none of whom were deemed trafficked). It says the Africans at Poppy "may" be from "closed markets", which apparently don't advertise openly and were beyond its remit, but closed markets are supposedly very small.

Other speculation suggests they're coming from the Detention Centres, or may be taken direct to Poppy from the airports or docks by the Border Agency.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this mystery?

The poppy project deals with people trafficked for all reasons, including domestic servitude etc. If the police were only looking at sex trafficking then that would explain the discrepency.

Even the CPS legal guidelines relating to Human Trafficking and Smuggling say that:

"There are benefits to victims in claiming they have been trafficked: they are able to access accommodation and support and are eligible for a (renewable) residence permit to remain in the UK. Prosecuting advocates will need to be alert to cross-examination of the victim at court on the grounds of inducement and their spurious claims of being a trafficked victim in order to acquire a residence permit."

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe some Africans are more inclined to "play the system" than other nationalities.

Even the CPS legal guidelines relating to Human Trafficking and Smuggling say that:

"There are benefits to victims in claiming they have been trafficked: they are able to access accommodation and support and are eligible for a (renewable) residence permit to remain in the UK. Prosecuting advocates will need to be alert to cross-examination of the victim at court on the grounds of inducement and their spurious claims of being a trafficked victim in order to acquire a residence permit."

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe some Africans are more inclined to "play the system" than other nationalities.

Silverado, you're right, but I haven't come across an account of alleged trafficking victims appearing at court. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I think it's very rare. And it's the sort of heart-rending stuff the media loves, so I think there would be accounts if they did.

I seem to remember reading some more authoritative source than most (I think it was Hansard) in which Poppy had secured an agreement from the Home Office that trafficking victims would not have to appear. Perhaps they make statements?

I'm still confused about where these Africans come from. If punter992005 is right, they might be domestic servitude victims, but this would hardly support their hypothesis that London's running alive with sex trafficking victims.

My guess is it's a clever scam. What better than to claim to have been trafficked, get looked after and by pass the system. Remember it was the Nigerians that started the let me put money in your bank account and other internet scams.

My guess is it's a clever scam. What better than to claim to have been trafficked, get looked after and by pass the system. Remember it was the Nigerians that started the let me put money in your bank account and other internet scams.

My initial guess too. Nevertheless, a swift google search does throw up genuine and tragic cases where there were convictions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/04/wales-prostitution-nigeria-court-carroll

African woman will tell the feminazi what they want to hear. The feminazi then scream from the roof tops. If i was an African who has had to cope with danger and terrible discomfort to get here i dont blame them.

Amazing!

From the fact that there are Conmen in one Africa country, you have managed to extrapolate that a whole continent is full of crook and liars!

I suppose it's also true that because some Scots have ginger hair, all Europeans must be redheads!