wanderlust

Carding vs. box-side ads

5 posts in this topic

Boris & Kit Malthouses' campaign against phone box carding continues, with some limited success. While there are plenty of cards there are fewer than before, depriving tourists of entertainment and free postcards for their more louche friends. A pity, even if no one in their right mind would seek a WG this way. How much taxpayers' money has been wasted is unknown.

What is funny is that BT have flogged off entire external sides of phone boxes around Euston Station to advertised a Gentlemens' Club, Platinum & Lace.... I've no idea what 'private arrangements' can be struck there, but one does wonder. The ladies on their website are er, a little bit unclad: http://www.platinumlace.co.uk/platinum-lace/platinum-lace-gallery

As a shareholder in BT, I intend writing to suggest that they've now crossed the Rubicon and should start selling space on the internal walls for small ads.

Latest information from the fuzz is that carding is on the decline, I read somewhere (Project Acumen report , I think).

So does that mean that my collection is going up in value? Wah!

Platinum & Lace's adverts have gone from London phone boxes now. Instead those on the Tottenham Court Road and Charing X Road sport adverts from their rivals, Spearmint Rhino...

While there are plenty of cards there are fewer than before, depriving tourists of entertainment and free postcards for their more louche friends.

The carders seem to have done quite a bit to stop the supply of "London souvenir post-cards" by switching from the white version of blu-tack to an aerosol glue which holds much more firmly, and usually tears the card when it is removed! (and leaves a filthy mess on the box window)

Modern technology!