Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JKay

Anyone using Linux Mint?

3 posts in this topic

I have a virgin fresh home built PC (months ago!) and was going to try using Ubuntu 10.04 but just been looking at the Mint website and it sounds a bit more beginer friendly, if I read things right, Mint is an off shoot development of Ubuntu, any good words for it?

I don't use Mint but I do use Ubuntu and it is generally regarded as a very user friendly Linux based OS. I'm not sure if Mint is easier but as its GUI is based on Xfce (which I have used) it is less resource hungry - so good if you have low spec hardware. So why not download the Live CD, run it off the CD and see how it runs on your hardware ie check that there are no tedious configuration issues, and if all is well do the full install. Good luck

I have a virgin fresh home built PC (months ago!) and was going to try using Ubuntu 10.04 but just been looking at the Mint website and it sounds a bit more beginer friendly, if I read things right, Mint is an off shoot development of Ubuntu, any good words for it?

Mint is no longer an Ubuntu derivative. It's now based on Debian. Its main advantage was that it includes proprietary software (e.g., for audio and video playback) in the distribution so there's less for a new user to do on installation. Ubuntu remains a more mainstream distribution with better support and there are solutions for quick installation of the add-ons that are included with Mint: see Ubuntu Tweak.