schweeps

Punting Budgeting

47 posts in this topic

Punting is great but addictive...

Wanted to start a thread as I was curious how some of you guys budget for your punting!

Cheeres

schweeps

I used to (in my more adventurous phase):

1. Decide how often I'd like to punt.

2. Decide what types of punt to go for (eg. independents vs parlours etc.)

3. Cost it up per month

4. Scale up to the year

5. Try to stick to it :eek:

(5) sometimes involved cutting back if I'd gone a bit OTT once in a while.

I normally visit the same girl each week, which equates to 280 quid, monthly. With the occasional visit elsewhere.

Punting is great but addictive...

Wanted to start a thread as I was curious how some of you guys budget for your punting!

Cheeres

schweeps

After looking at the last two months punting, I'd abstain from replying.

I think my bank manager's sobbing in the corner....

I had a budget. Havent really stuck to it. Just punted when I felt like it.

why don't you get yourself a budget pot or plan in advance :eek:

I haven't formally budgeted for punting up to now, but think its probably got to the point I should.

My only "rule" to date is to fund it out of income rather than capital. I've stuck to that, but I'm sure if I looked at total spent it would be "frightening" (heavens know what some of the regulars here have spent over the years). Mind you, I reckon total spend on many long term hobbies builds up very substantially. (e.g. I reckon some friends have spent hundreds of thousands on cars.)

I often punt as a reward for something else in my life. Sometimes as a reward for not spending money on something else!

In an about turn when I spent £250 on a cricket bat last summer, I abstained from punting for the whole summer to justify that extravagence to myself.

Of course I wish I had greater funds available, but don't we all? Just need to keep all spending in perspective. Once the decision is made though, you've just gotta enjoy it and damn the expense.

I tend to look in my wallet and if there isn't enough go to an ATM.

I find it real difficult to budget especially since based in Glasgow, I need to seek out greener pastures in Edinburgh - that includes travel + punt budgeting! And nothing comes cheap, do they...

Wonder if there are any independents in Glasgow now?

If my business is doing well enough so that I am able to draw out enough for all my families needs (and wants, within reason!) and there is still surplus, then I will treat myself.

If business isn't doing so well then not only do I not punt, but I actually lose all desire to do so.

My basic wage covers me for "life" stuff so I use my bonus for punting, the better I do at work, the more I can punt, its a great motivator :eek:.

I don't always spend it all so anything I have left over gets put into the pot, my one and only rule is not to spend more than there is in the pot as I don't want to go into my standard wage to punt, If I have a crap month then I don't punt or I only have a couple of 30 mins or whatever.

May I enquire how many punters who post on this board are self employed and receive some of their trading revenues in cash?

It would not be unheard of for individuals in this position to divert and not record a proportion of their income.

A £150 punt for a person paid by PAYE costs £150 them as it comes out of their taxed income - for those who use undeclared income it can be as low as £90 (40% tax on £150 = £60)

The risk is obviously being caught and fined by HMRC, but the temptation of a notional 40% discount is always there.

Edited by Rayjinbull
typo

I find it real difficult to budget especially since based in Glasgow, I need to seek out greener pastures in Edinburgh - that includes travel + punt budgeting! And nothing comes cheap, do they...

You cannot be serious! :eek: For starters there is Laura Lee and also Caitlin.

When it's raining then I don't go out on the motorcycle and that saves up enough money after a few weekends for a punt. Given that it rains so much in this country this seems to keep the balance right.

I find estimating what it costs per day is useful, and working out what per centage of my income it is. Fortunately I am single.

I've lost count of how many times I've tried to budget lol....how many times I've said 'right, only this much on punting this month'...only to go back on it...good times are addictive lol...

...you only live once, thats how I keep justifying it, but I know it's not right....

Nik

i have a notional sum set aside for punting mainly made up of expenses paid to me and any bonus received,however the one eyed snake sometimes overrules this:)

On average I have two punts per month with my regular Lady (one 30 minutes, one 60 minutes) which costs £200 total.

I then have opportunistic punts with either new girls in my area or girls local to places I may be travelling for work.

The most I have ever spent in a month is around £500 but I try to keep it under £300 if I can.

I do feel guilty when I add up the figures at the end of a year as it would pay for a decent foreign holiday for the family.

May I enquire how many punters who post on this board are self employed and receive some of their trading revenues in cash?

It would not be unheard of for individuals in this position to divert and not record a proportion of their income.

A £150 punt for a person paid by PAYE costs £150 them as it comes out of their taxed income - for those who use undeclared income it can be as low as £90 (40% tax on £150 = £60)

The risk is obviously being caught and fined by HMRC, but the temptation of a notional 40% discount is always there.

So Ray, are you the taxman or someone who has a state subsidised sex life? :eek:

I tend to punt as and when. I can go through stages where I punt a couple of times within a month, but then go away for a few months, so it's around once a month on average.

I could afford to punt more often, but I would feel conscious and it would make me reconsider my other spending (gadgets, trips away etc). I have just bought an expensive new bed so probably won't punt for a few months now.

One thing that has been on my mind of late is car expenditure vs punting expenditure.

All things being equal in a few years I should come into a certain amount of money and property. This would boost my income by around a significant amount and obviously I think about how I would spend that money.

There are 2 areas and they both come down ultimately to getting more sex. It would come down to a flash car or punting more. Punting more seems like a more honest, eco friendly, hassle free option.

Do other posters have a similar inner debate in terms of cars and punting? Or other items?

You cannot be serious! :eek: For starters there is Laura Lee and also Caitlin.

Darla.. Susan.. Faye.. Casey.. the list goes on!

I don't punt often and it's usually when I have a little spare cash although unfortunately that's not always the case, I have been known to go a little silly to fund my punting life and in the past that did get me in some debt. These days it tends to be the occasional punt, ie once every couple of months or so. The main thing is the amount I would spend on each punt, from the £60 for a normal 30 minute punt to £120 or so if I really like the lady.

The new fly in this ointment is splashing out recently for a two girl punt and although this did put a serious dent in my not too considerable finances I did find it so enjoyable that I think I will have to do it again sometime. So that will screw all pretences of having a budget!!

My problem is that other members of my family can see my bank statements, so taking out large amounts of cash with nothing to show for it would lead to some questions.

So I take out say, £10/20 a week extra and put it on the side, and wait until I have enough for a punt. My plan was to save for hour sessions, but so far whenever I have got up to £60 I have not been able to hold out, and hence go for a 30 min session.

I try to top up the cash (or indeed risking it) by putting some on sure fire Premiership fixtures, perhaps doubles, even though the odds are never great, every little that comes back helps!

I pretty much sat down and worked out how much money I make each month , which is always steady for me, less how much I spend on mortgage (inclu. over paying a bit), bills, essentials, other recreational activities and some money saved... that comes to about £500 for me, so I stick to that as an absolute upper limit but try to keep it closer to £400 if possible.

Slightly differently to others I don't spend my bonus on punting... that's for other big purchases, savings or mortgage overpayments only. That only comes around once a year, and if I spent too much of it on punting in one go I think there would be a danger I'd get addicted to spending more :D

One tip is to always keep some records of your punting expenditure. That way you can look back in the cold light of day to make sure you are really sticking to the budget and not just kidding yourself :D:)

4 months into Punting now and though I try and budget, I find my Testosterone decides for me. Also as a newbie I have a long wish list.

I try and aim for VFM but do consider a premium.

I am currently healthy and have some disposable income so, after I have given some to charity I get my wish list out to see whats about.

Seems I am improving on my geography of Eastern Europe though as some of the WG's have been EE.

I also get the most out of my cash so for example, I always sell my old mobile phones or sell upgraded ones if i don't like them.

I use Quidco for cashback etc so all this income is "set aside" for my Punting requirments.

All this can net a few £100's a year which add 3-5 punts more.

My problem is that other members of my family can see my bank statements, so taking out large amounts of cash with nothing to show for it would lead to some questions.....

I find cashack at supermarkets etc works quite well. shows up on the statement as waitrose or morrisons -no questions asked.

There again, i am not usually that organised.......