Irgendeiner

Er, defamation? Definition, these days?

3 posts in this topic

In Hong Kong at the end of 1994 (yes, many of you were then below the age of consent!!) the RHKP made, with a good and valid warrant, a seizure of a substantial quantity of a white powder, not far from Lan Kwai Fong.

The finger of suspicion pointed to one particular party as being the source of the good news which had led the boys in blue to their successful raid. He denied talking to the polis, and (significantly) said that if anyone else repeated the calumny, he would sue.

Er, hang on a mo' ? Is not defamatory material something which, if published, would lower the plaintiff in the estimation of "right thinking people"? And, surely, if "r t p" became aware of where a stash of hash or coke was hidden, they'd immediately tip the forces of law, order and democracy off, wouldn't they? So, not defamatory?

Now, fifteen years later, when discrimination on grounds of sexuality is a "No, No!", thanks to the hard work of the blessed Harriet, we have the suggestion that Hague, and his aide shared a twin bedded room, because they are gay (or at least bi...). Can that be defamatory?

OK, so I'm not a "r t p", and, I'm afraid that although I don't think gays should be jailed any longer, I don't like what they do, and think they should keep their "activities"between themselves.

Will the civil courts, however, still hold that the publication of material suggesting that a man is a poofter, is defamatory, even though doing all the things that they do is now entirely legal, and that cabinet ministers can have civil partners, etc.,?

But right thinking people, not many of us here, would think that being accused of cheating on your wife when you haven't would count as lowering the estimation of the plaintiff. Therefore defamation? Doesn't matter about the sexuality involved?

But right thinking people, not many of us here, would think that being accused of cheating on your wife when you haven't would count as lowering the estimation of the plaintiff. Therefore defamation? Doesn't matter about the sexuality involved?

Thank you for coming back to me!

Adultery, strangely, was NOT made OK by the blesssed Harriet! Why not, I hear myself cry? Adultery remains a curious variety of civil wrong, not (I defer to my elders and betters) tortious, but a "matrimonial offence"! Can a civil partner comit "quasi-adultery" if he (or she) does a bit of "how's your father" with another of the same sex?