noman

Craigslist to pull "adult services" sections...

38 posts in this topic

The listing is being closed in the US soon so could it happen here next...?
It's hilarious. They still have 'Adult Services' on their list of services in the US but have CENSORED next to it and it does not link to anything. In neighboring Canada, on the other hand, it's business as usual. CL is US-based and I guess they get enough revenue from their other advertising but I would have thought that an Adultwank-type move 'off shore' might be the answer if they don't.:D

Er, just read the link. Am afraid I didn't add much.:D

It's hilarious. They still have 'Adult Services' on their list of services in the US but have CENSORED next to it and it does not link to anything. In neighboring Canada, on the other hand, it's business as usual. CL is US-based and I guess they get enough revenue from their other advertising but I would have thought that an Adultwank-type move 'off shore' might be the answer if they don't.:D

Er, just read the link. Am afraid I didn't add much.:D

More detailed info:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/technology/05craigs.html?hp

They've been saying this for a but 100 years. I doubt it will affect anyone, they'll just move to another forum.

Personally i hope they close the craigs list adult directories completely.

Its a disgrace that you can put an advert on there without registering even an email address. The system is way to open to abuse.

according to that NY TIMES article adult services earned them 45 million dollars last year, so that would be a very significant revenue stream to cut off.

I agree, they've been saying this for such a long time.

Not used Craigslist for ages, I tend to keep away from advertising on sites that are not really designed specifically for punters/wgs.

JJ xx

Personally i hope they close the craigs list adult directories completely.

Its a disgrace that you can put an advert on there without registering even an email address. The system is way to open to abuse.

You need to provide a valid email before you can post.

They've been saying this for a but 100 years. I doubt it will affect anyone, they'll just move to another forum.

they'll move to the Casual encounters section on the same forum .

I used it with very good results in the US .

You need to go for the cities where there are a high% of females looking for NSA sex ,such as Washington DC,San Francisco . The latter,cos of the nos of gays in the city . Washibgton,DC ,because of the high % of females working in government and int Organizations in the city .

Houston ,Texas ,was very good as well .The city is spread out and it is a hell of a job for females to meet other guys.

Very good as well ,for the above 3 cities ,under the section Women for Men .

But this is for relationships.

Who said ,(There is no Fair play in Love or War ).????

a valid email is generated in 5 secs flat.

. It's sorta funny when its their boss but not, when it's personal or criminal, like I hate the way it's used to revenge, blokes put their GF number up there in amongst the rest of the numbers

"How Censoring Craigslist Helps Pimps, Child Traffickers and Other Abusive Scumbags"

Faulty logic suggests that if Craigslist is effectively a digital pimp who's profiting off of online traffic, why shouldn't it be prosecuted as such?

The problem with this logic is that it fails to account for three important differences:

1) most ISPs have a fundamental business -- if not moral -- interest in helping protect people;

2) the visibility of illicit activities online makes it much easier to get at, and help, those who are being victimized; and

3) a one-stop-shop is more helpful for law enforcement than for criminals. In short, Craigslist is not a pimp, but a public perch from which law enforcement can watch without being seen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danah-boyd/how-censoring-craigslist-_b_706789.html

A valid email like someone else said, takes 10 seconds to knock up and you dont have to even put any real details in to open it.

"How Censoring Craigslist Helps Pimps, Child Traffickers and Other Abusive Scumbags"

Faulty logic suggests that if Craigslist is effectively a digital pimp who's profiting off of online traffic, why shouldn't it be prosecuted as such?

The problem with this logic is that it fails to account for three important differences:

1) most ISPs have a fundamental business -- if not moral -- interest in helping protect people;

2) the visibility of illicit activities online makes it much easier to get at, and help, those who are being victimized; and

3) a one-stop-shop is more helpful for law enforcement than for criminals. In short, Craigslist is not a pimp, but a public perch from which law enforcement can watch without being seen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danah-boyd/how-censoring-craigslist-_b_706789.html

Fascinating article, for anyone who has time to read it. You certainly wouldn't get this slant on CL and Craig Newmark from one of the Murdoch papers.:D

A valid email like someone else said, takes 10 seconds to knock up and you dont have to even put any real details in to open it.

I never said you couldnt, just replying to your post about not even needing one.

Its the perils of selling or buying anything online, which is why I only order from a company with reputable feedback.

I never said you couldnt, just replying to your post about not even needing one.

Its the perils of selling or buying anything online, which is why I only order from a company with reputable feedback.

Trouble is that sometimes a reputable company or person can have a fake profile put on unbeknown to them by someone with a nasty little grudge, when someone then falls for the fake advert the real company gets bad feedback.

When they pull the erotic section away from Craigslist ladies will simply use the massage section to advertise in.

Has the massage section now been pulled in the UK also ?

Seems it stopped working on dec. 20th ?

Has the massage section now been pulled in the UK also ?

Seems it stopped working on dec. 20th ?

No, the therapeutic service section is up and running, current to 24th December.

No, the therapeutic service section is up and running, current to 24th December.

On my computer, I see a lot of ads for Monday Dec 20th, and only 4 for today.

It has been like that all week. They seem to delete the ads following the 20th.

Or is it just on my computer?

On my computer, I see a lot of ads for Monday Dec 20th, and only 4 for today.

It has been like that all week. They seem to delete the ads following the 20th.

Or is it just on my computer?

Not many adds for today because not many girls working today i expect

Not many adds for today because not many girls working today i expect

I think you will find that they are deleting all ads posted after Mon Dec 20.

Ive just checked again, and the posts for today are no longer there.