Guest bricktop

Windows 7 Home Premium... on how many pc`s??

11 posts in this topic

can you register it on? we have 2 laptops at home, they are both running vista and getting a wee bit old and slow, back in the day when i had windows millennium i`m sure i lent it out to a few friends, but now i`m sure i can only use one copy on one pc??

is this correct?

thanks B.T

You can install it on one PC.

Whilst there was a 3 PC upgrade available from either XP or Vista, AFAIK this isn't available at the moment, for example Amazon say it's currently unavailable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Licence/dp/B002MT21N6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1283691105&sr=8-15

(It's not a good idea purchasing upgrade copies... they are tied to the PC on which it's installed and can't be transferred. Much better to purchase full version.)

B

You could get an OEM version for your laptop and if both laptops are the same make it will work on both. Make sure both of your machines are Windows 7 capable though.

You could get an OEM version for your laptop and if both laptops are the same make it will work on both. Make sure both of your machines are Windows 7 capable though.

I don't think it will actually, due to the activation being tied to a specific PC via the UUID encoded into the BIOS.

B

Enterprise - You can have fun with this, but to be covered you're looking at VLK servers to authenticate. There's still leeway though with authenticating with M$

Retail version - 1 full copy with unlimited installs, with the option to install on fully new hardware if required.

OEM version - Valid for the hardware that the machine was first installed with. It acts as a full install (see the retail) but can only be installed a total of 3 times on the same hardware (same PC itself) before m$ ask questions. 10 times max. However, I have easily validated OEM versions on different hardware for home use. I personally buy nothing but OEM because of this, and the cost effectiveness. Making an image iof your base install also helps. There used to be a reseller rule that they could not sell these to standard home consumers (online they used to insist you bought a mainboard and CPU before you could buy an OEM Win OS). Now they arehappy to sell anyone it on it's own. No issues :P

Upgrades - With Vista/Win7, there are upgrade options which ngate a full price software purchase. These are effectively retail versions, but you still need to meet the default requirements of having a previous compatible OS installed on the machine to be upgraded first. Installing after the first time can be a pain in the arse.

Hope this helps.

(It's not a good idea purchasing upgrade copies... they are tied to the PC on which it's installed and can't be transferred. Much better to purchase full version.)

B

And, often the upgrades don't seem save that much over a full version anymore.

Enterprise - You can have fun with this, but to be covered you're looking at VLK servers to authenticate. There's still leeway though with authenticating with M$

Retail version - 1 full copy with unlimited installs, with the option to install on fully new hardware if required.

OEM version - Valid for the hardware that the machine was first installed with. It acts as a full install (see the retail) but can only be installed a total of 3 times on the same hardware (same PC itself) before m$ ask questions. 10 times max. However, I have easily validated OEM versions on different hardware for home use. I personally buy nothing but OEM because of this, and the cost effectiveness. Making an image iof your base install also helps. There used to be a reseller rule that they could not sell these to standard home consumers (online they used to insist you bought a mainboard and CPU before you could buy an OEM Win OS). Now they arehappy to sell anyone it on it's own. No issues :(

Upgrades - With Vista/Win7, there are upgrade options which ngate a full price software purchase. These are effectively retail versions, but you still need to meet the default requirements of having a previous compatible OS installed on the machine to be upgraded first. Installing after the first time can be a pain in the arse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Comet28. How do you buy an OEM version, can you buy it at PC World for example?

Thanks Comet28. How do you buy an OEM version, can you buy it at PC World for example?

You can purchase at many online shops like ebuyer or Amazon.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM - 64-bit at ebuyer

One thing I will add is, what may be more influential in the decision whether to buy OEM or full retail versions of the operating system is that Full retail includes both 64bit and 32bit versions of the operating system. This may be important should you have critical software that won't run in 64bit.

There are numerous advantages and disadvantages to 64bit which you may want to find out about first if you go the OEM route.

I don't think it will actually, due to the activation being tied to a specific PC via the UUID encoded into the BIOS.

B

Yes, this is true, but I would slightly differ by saying that the same copy can be installed in multiple PCs as the license key will be accepted, but post-installation do NOT activate the copy of Windows 7. This will let you fully use the copy, but not download Windows Updates or Microsoft downloads like IE, WMP etc. as they will check if the copy of Windows is active/valid/genuine or not..