elrond

Gail Porter on Prostitution 10pm, Sky TV, Monday 13 September

43 posts in this topic

Hope you can watch this. I don't get Sky TV, decided not to give my hard earned cash to Murdock, I am a man of principle. So please someone report on it for me.

Gail Porter travels around the UK, to the Netherlands and Sweden, interviewing sex workers and others to investigate whether prostitution should be decriminalised, legalised or banned.

Throughout her journey, Ms Porter shares highs and lows, laughter and tears with the women she interviews. She is at times overwhelmed but always respectful and compassionate. She concludes that women go into prostitution because they “need to live, to survive and support [their] family”, and that their safety must be the priority. While finding no situation ideal, she declares her support for decrimalisation and for the abolition of brothel keeping laws so that women can work together more safely.

Some of the women featured who are available for interview, include:

Oh wow! A programme about prostitution where they actually talk to the women affected and consider all prostitution not just the small part that stems from trafficking, considering other options other than some kind of criminalisation or prohibition. Must be worth watching. :eek:

Oh wow! A programme about prostitution where they actually talk to the women affected and consider all prostitution not just the small part that stems from trafficking, considering other options other than some kind of criminalisation or prohibition. Must be worth watching. :eek:

Oh come on, we're talking about the media here. Whatever they produce will lean heavily towards sensationalisation to get more viewers, or towards the opinions of the producers. They're in business to make money, not produce honest and un-biased programmes.

They may well interview a balanced amount of people, but with editorial selection, and careful editing, it may well be made to suit personal morals of the producers, or simply to sensationalise things for ratings.

Its on Current TV

In case anyone was wondering

Oh come on, we're talking about the media here. Whatever they produce will lean heavily towards sensationalisation to get more viewers, or towards the opinions of the producers. They're in business to make money, not produce honest and un-biased programmes.

They may well interview a balanced amount of people, but with editorial selection, and careful editing, it may well be made to suit personal morals of the producers, or simply to sensationalise things for ratings.

Gail Porter does say that she doesn't want to take a moral stance and see it as it actually is. Doubtless it will include the dark side of prostitution as well, but if it's going to consider Niki Adams and Pye Jacobsens views and support the legalisation of brothels so 2 or more women can work together more safetly, I think there's much to feel positive about.

I'll wait and see how I feel about it after I've watched it on my Sky Player.

Its on Current TV

In case anyone was wondering

I believe that's Channel 155 if you have Virgin cable.

Followed at 11.00 pm by " A man's guide to paying for sex".

Not a good sign, trailer show all the signs of sensationalism over balance.

Yep

Her opening line "I don't want to take a moral stance, I just want to find out where its all going WRONG" with its inherent contradiction tows the typical mainstream media-line of 'prostitution is bad', and with the stock interviews of abused wgs adding further 'evidence' to the program-makers pre-arrived-at conclusion that it is wholly an illegal and immoral industry that leaves countless exploited 'victims' in its wake.

Just listened to Gail Porter on Radio five. She came across quite well and as trying to form a balanced programme. She did then admit that she hasn't seen the final edit, particularly in reference to WGs and drugs, which she said was a miniscule portion but Richard Bacon, who had pre viewed it, said came across as a major point.

They both lightly ridiculed the Ipswich policeman interviewed on the show who said no-one could possibly choose this line of work.

So, I think I will try to watch it as it maybe will attempt at least to get a bit more balance.

Edited by thesquonk
Grammar

Just listened to Gail Porter on Radio five. She came across quite well and as trying to form a balanced programme. She did then admit that she hasn't seen the final edit, particularly in reference to WGs and drugs, which she said was a miniscule portion but Richard Bacon, who had pre viewed it, said came across as a major point.

They both lightly ridiculed the Ipswich policeman interviewed on the show who said no-one could possibly choose this line of work.

So, I think I will try to watch it as it maybe will attempt at least to get a bit more balance.

I too will watch it with interest. I liked this quote from her in The Sun ;

"I'm no expert, but I do believe we should be making changes to the law to make it safer for women.

In the UK, it is illegal for two women to work together in a brothel. To me, this is completely ridiculous, as it forces women to go out on their own, which is more dangerous. As if the job isn't perilous enough.

They should be able to work together and have the same working rights as everyone else. I also believe criminalising women is wrong - it doesn't help anyone."

"I'm no expert, but I do believe we should be making changes to the law to make it safer for women.

In the UK, it is illegal for two women to work together in a brothel. To me, this is completely ridiculous, as it forces women to go out on their own, which is more dangerous. As if the job isn't perilous enough.

They should be able to work together and have the same working rights as everyone else. I also believe criminalising women is wrong - it doesn't help anyone."

Yes I also read that article in the Sun, but I can't seem to find it in the online version to link to it. Anyway, it continues on to conclude:

In New Zealand, the whole system is decriminalised. There women can work together in brothels and they are protected.

Prostitution has been around for a long time, and no doubt it will continue, so we need to protect these women and do everything we can to make a terrible situation a bit more safe.

That's surprisingly quite good for the Sun, though they, and probably even the programme makers, will look at sex workers as being a "terrible situation" (but maybe they are if they work in a "brothel" type place unless brothels are legalised).

I think it will be one of those programmes where some people will look at it with their glass half full and others with their glass half empty, but I'm looking forward to it being more balanced than the recent Channel 4 offering.

I quite like Gail Porter as she doesn't seem to pre judge where in this kind of occassion lotsof people do..

I read the piece in the sun and I have Sky+ for tonight so tomorrow will be interesting on here :D

I quite like Gail Porter as she doesn't seem to pre judge where in this kind of occassion lotsof people do..

I read the piece in the sun and I have Sky+ for tonight so tomorrow will be interesting on here :D

Sky channel 183 also after them two programmes there is also Prostitution uncovered and Price of vice :)

Interesting programmes :)

Just to be pedantic, she is not strictly accurate, it is not illegal for two women to work together in a brothel, a prostitute cannot be charged with any offence related to prostitution just because she is working in a brothel. What is illegal is owning/running/managing etc. the brothel wherein the prostitutes work.

I don't get Sky TV, decided not to give my hard earned cash to Murdock, I am a man of principle.

At the risk of being "done" for going OT, I am 100% with you here! I simply will not enter into his evil empire.

Just to be pedantic, she is not strictly accurate, it is not illegal for two women to work together in a brothel, a prostitute cannot be charged with any offence related to prostitution just because she is working in a brothel. What is illegal is owning/running/managing etc. the brothel wherein the prostitutes work.

Er, yeees! But if the two ladies take a tenancy of a flat, then whichever signs the lease can be held, if CPS, the Chief Constable, or the local tabloid so chose, to be managing the brothel, with all that that entails - yes, Summary only (I think), but criminal record and probable POCA action!

Aaaaaaagh!

Er, yeees! But if the two ladies take a tenancy of a flat, then whichever signs the lease can be held, if CPS, the Chief Constable, or the local tabloid so chose, to be managing the brothel, with all that that entails - yes, Summary only (I think), but criminal record and probable POCA action!

Aaaaaaagh!

That is true, however someone reading the quote without that sort of knowledge is likely to assume that "it is illegal for two women to work together in a brothel" and thus would perpetuate the myth that some aspects of being a prostitute are illegal, and miss out on the reality of the situation, which is why I posted what I posted.

It's on Current TV, I see they have a video on demand section on their site.

Maybe this show will be on there after it is aired.

Watching now...halfway through. So far, so meh

She hasn't been to Soho or Amsterdam yet tho.

Gail Porter does say that she doesn't want to take a moral stance and see it as it actually is. Doubtless it will include the dark side of prostitution as well, but if it's going to consider Niki Adams and Pye Jacobsens views and support the legalisation of brothels so 2 or more women can work together more safetly, I think there's much to feel positive about.

I'll wait and see how I feel about it after I've watched it on my Sky Player.

I do think some balance is to be expected. The ECP's flyer says:

Niki Adams of the English Collective of Prostitutes, documents how even the government acknowledges that poverty, debt, homelessness and domestic violence are the primary reasons driving women into prostitution. She explains why decriminalisation as introduced in New Zealand should be supported: "Without decriminalisation women can never be safe."

Also featured is Pye Jacobsen, a Swedish sex worker, who demolishes the view that criminalising clients (introduced in Sweden in 1999) has been of benefit to women. "Those feminists who have fought for women's right to control our bodies and the right to say 'no' must also accept my right to say 'yes'."

I thought that it was quite balanced. At the end, FWIW Gail came down on the side of decriminalisation particularly in relation to allowing women to work together for safety reasons.

The programme started off with a compulsory raid, this time in Ipswich. As usual there was the initial police briefing and talk of rescuing trafficked and exploited women in an Ipswich flat. A convey of vehicles and talk of breaking the door down by force if necessary. What did they find ?.....one 51 year old prostitute. After the raid we were told by the police that she was probably trafficked. Needless to say, we were later told that she was legally entitled to work in the UK.

I thought that it was quite balanced. At the end, FWIW Gail came down on the side of decriminalisation particularly in relation to allowing women to work together for safety reasons.

The programme started off with a compulsory raid, this time in Ipswich. As usual there was the initial police briefing and talk of rescuing trafficked and exploited women in an Ipswich flat. A convey of vehicles and talk of breaking the door down by force if necessary. What did they find ?.....one 51 year old prostitute. After the raid we were told by the police that she was probably trafficked. Needless to say, we were later told that she was legally entitled to work in the UK.

We were also told that no woman would ever choose to become a prostitute.

*sigh*

Does this mean you'd happily start paying tax on your earnings if the profession becomes legalised ?

Does this mean you'd happily start paying tax on your earnings if the profession becomes legalised ?

sex workers already pay tax!