SoapyTitWank

Sunday Morning Live

25 posts in this topic

A brief (2 min) discussion of prostitution on the BBC's Sunday Morning Live program this morning. Despite its brevity, the BBC was able to broadcast this nugget...

Sexy Susannah : "What do you think it says about about the fact that young, well educated woman are still going into this industry?"

High & Mighty, Frumpy Guest: "Well, The vast majority of women in prostitution have not had the benefit of an education, and the average age for a woman to enter prostitution in the UK is 14. So you are talking about child sexual abuse, and children forced into this with no choice"

Hmm.

Where the fack did this fool get her information from?!

Where the fack did this fool get her information from?!

Think you'll find it tracks back to specific studies of juvenile US streetwalkers. Most under-age WGs become WGs whilst under-age.

The Archbisp of York came out with exactly the same rent-a-quote nonsense in a Sunday Times article when the Poliicing & Crime Bill was being debated and I've had it cited to me by Boris Johnson's sidekicks in correspondence (don't believe Boris when he claims there's little scope for spending cuts in London, there's plenty among his minions..). I assume it to be on some 'factsheet' (in the loosest meaning of the word) distributed by 'anti' pressure groups.

The idea of an average age of entry of 14 is the most obvious drivel even based on the antis' own delusions, for it would only be mathematically compatible with their other assertion -that a big proportion of WGs are trafficked from overseas, aged 18-mid 20s' - if there were a considerable number of WGs who started at ages considerably less than 14.... Ad even they aren't claiming that.

"High & Mighty, Frumpy Guest" was Julie Bindell. The discussion wasn't directly on prostitution, but as soon as Bindell saw the chance she started her usual rant, quoting complete false information.

Most under-age WGs become WGs whilst under-age.

If not all of them :eek:

Just been reading some of Julie's articles. Not sure that we'd get on that well.

I know prostitution and lap dancing are very different kettles of fish, but here is an interesting article claiming that one in four lap dancers have a degree.

The future is very grim for the younger generation these days. No jobs, no affordable housing. It shouldn't be a major surprise that girls are turning down the crap prospects of a graduate job for a 24-48k a year job in the sex industry.

So, as Wanderlust says, it really is a case of underage WGs become WGs whilst underage :D. So a big well done to Julie Bindel for firstly citing a completely useless statistic, and secondly misquoting it for shock effect. We need more quality journalists like her in this country. Though, to be fair, her recent article embracing womens facial hair was pretty good.

Typical stereotyping of Prostitution

Oh and - Susannah is one of the fittest TV presenters out there :D

Typical stereotyping of Prostitution

Oh and - Susannah is one of the fittest TV presenters out there :D

One of the fittest? Not a particularly long list who'd come above her.

I am not surprised to hear that "one in four girls who do lapdancing have a degree"

Surely given the educational silly system we have now where everyone gets a degree at some stupid task or other why not lapdancing degrees

Oh recently a person I know told me with starry eyes how many O levels her son had got.

They were all (except one D grades or less) so he only got 20% correct in the best result he got

Now isnt this stupid..why are we fooling these thicko's into thinking they are clever????????

A brief (2 min) discussion of prostitution on the BBC's Sunday Morning Live program this morning.

They're at it again. It looks like it's one of the main topics of discussion today. Good, wholesome, Sunday morning chat ;)

Lot of respect for 'Catherine' from the IUSW for her brave and calm responses to the sensationalist guests who outnumbered her. She was clearly the only person who knew what she was talking about.

Who is 'Catherine'? Where she work?

She was introduced as Catherine Stephens from the IUSW, but she was in disguise to protect her identity. At first I though Catherine was a fake name too, but it's certainly the name used as IUSW spokesperson.

BBC Poll Result: Should we now accept prostitution? 71% Yes, 29% No.

Oh recently a person I know told me with starry eyes how many O levels her son had got.

They were all (except one D grades or less) so he only got 20% correct in the best result he got

Now isnt this stupid..why are we fooling these thicko's into thinking they are clever????????

So we can admit them to uni, charge them for the experience, & keep them off the dole queue, where they cost money.

She was introduced as Catherine Stephens from the IUSW, but she was in disguise to protect her identity. At first I though Catherine was a fake name too, but it's certainly the name used as IUSW spokesperson.

BBC Poll Result: Should we now accept prostitution? 71% Yes, 29% No.

Sorry. I now have a mental image of Catherine Stephens in one of those Glasses/False nose/Moustache combos.

Anyway, that 14 years old statistic is the one that pisses me off the most.

It is indeed taken from a survey of US street girls under 18 and comes from a paper on child abuse (including juvenile prostitution) in the States.

It is an irrelevant fact of limited use and still they trot it out every five minutes.

Sorry. I now have a mental image of Catherine Stephens in one of those Glasses/False nose/Moustache combos.

Anyway, that 14 years old statistic is the one that pisses me off the most.

It is indeed taken from a survey of US street girls under 18 and comes from a paper on child abuse (including juvenile prostitution) in the States.

It is an irrelevant fact of limited use and still they trot it out every five minutes.

Alternatively, make the point that regulation would stamp that out and stop it existing.

Alternatively, make the point that regulation would stamp that out and stop it existing.

I don't know about that. For instance, we have labour laws and regulations in the UK, but that didn't save those poor Chinese cockle pickers.

I do think they need to stop wasting precious man hours sniffing around people who are having consensual sex, even if it is for money and concentrate on the wrong doers. There is no room in my head for the phrases "child prostitute" or "coerced prostitute", these people are NOT prostitutes, they are abused children and sex slaves. A prostitute is someone who does this willingly, whatever their reasons.

Most juveniles who end up being sold for sex are initially groomed by someone, a child abuser. Sometimes this happens within the family. Teachers and social workers are trained to look for tell tale signs of an abused child, but maybe we all need to pay more attention to what goes on around us and not be afraid to speak up. The "it's not my problem" culture is absolutely vile.

I don't know about that. For instance, we have labour laws and regulations in the UK, but that didn't save those poor Chinese cockle pickers.

I do think they need to stop wasting precious man hours sniffing around people who are having consensual sex, even if it is for money and concentrate on the wrong doers. There is no room in my head for the phrases "child prostitute" or "coerced prostitute", these people are NOT prostitutes, they are abused children and sex slaves. A prostitute is someone who does this willingly, whatever their reasons.

Most juveniles who end up being sold for sex are initially groomed by someone, a child abuser. Sometimes this happens within the family. Teachers and social workers are trained to look for tell tale signs of an abused child, but maybe we all need to pay more attention to what goes on around us and not be afraid to speak up. The "it's not my problem" culture is absolutely vile.

I agree with what you say Amanda, but it's a difficult one to resolve. I'm not sure it will ever be politically fashionable enough to promote regulation (or even turning a blind eye) in prostitution simply from a 'live-and-let-live' perspective. No political party is going to see advancement for themselves in the electorate's eyes from this. Chasing those who indulge in consensual, paid-for sex makes headlines, and scores a cheap but visible political point.

I guess I'm saying that there will have to be some social justification for regulation / some form of legalisation before anyone in power will take it up. Whether that is reducing trafficking, reducing forced prostitution, or reducing violence against street prostitutes, or a mix of all that and more. (I take the point about those forced not being prostitutes but rather sex slaves, but I think the general public will see that as semantics). Given the nature of what we do, the naysayers may always be louder. Therefore, IMHO we need some social justification behind requests to be allowed to get on with what we do in peace. Those who say either that it doesn't exist or is nowhere near as prevalent could reduce that justification.

As I write this, I realise I sound as cynical as those on the programme making the counter argument in many ways. Sorry if it does - it wasn't intended. I entirely agree that we should be doing whatever is necessary to stop the cycle of abused children and sex slavery you mentioned.

Correct re the cockle pickers, plus all the other migrant workers that come over to work under bad conditions. Does the government restrict the advertising for those industries?Clamp down on the traffickers?Make it illegal to buy products that could be made via child or migrant exploitation.

Errrrmmm, no.

Never mind.

Correct re the cockle pickers, plus all the other migrant workers that come over to work under bad conditions. Does the government restrict the advertising for those industries?Clamp down on the traffickers?Make it illegal to buy products that could be made via child or migrant exploitation.

Errrrmmm, no.

Never mind.

indeed,it seems that work slaves are politically acceptable,funny how the labour govt was silent on that subject

the poll : should we accept prostitution, 71% said yes,

methi hussan seemed disappointed,"ah but if you asked,would you like your daughter to be a prostitute or would you be happy if you husband used prostitutes it would be different"

A brief (2 min) discussion of prostitution on the BBC's Sunday Morning Live program this morning. Despite its brevity, the BBC was able to broadcast this nugget...

Sexy Susannah : "What do you think it says about about the fact that young, well educated woman are still going into this industry?"

High & Mighty, Frumpy Guest: "Well, The vast majority of women in prostitution have not had the benefit of an education, and the average age for a woman to enter prostitution in the UK is 14. So you are talking about child sexual abuse, and children forced into this with no choice"

Hmm.

2 minutes? Was more like 20 minutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00v1pns/Sunday_Morning_Live_Episode_11/