Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ClarenceNightingale

The New Punternet Message Board

97 posts in this topic

I have had a play around with the new board settings etc and here is my 2p worth:-

It is difficult to distinguish between new threads, threads with new replies and old threads. On the old board, the new threads and threads with new replies were presented in BOLD, so it was easy to see that they were 'new'.

There is no setting (afaik) for having the newest post in a thread to be at the top of the screen, instead, you have to scroll to the bottom for the newest post, or use 'tree mode' which is a pain in the arse when you are viewing a thread with 25 pages of posts.

Apart from that, all seems okay to me, but at the moment I have to say I preferred the look of the old board.

Probably take getting used to but I preferred the previous too :confused:

Edited by busencumen

There is no setting (afaik) for having the newest post in a thread to be at the top of the screen, instead, you have to scroll to the bottom for the newest post, or use 'tree mode' which is a pain in the arse when you are viewing a thread with 25 pages of posts.

I'm fairly sure that there is. I was having a look at the settings and checked that I was "standard" ie. new post at the bottom.

Trouble is I can't find it now.

We'll all get used to the change, I'm sure

The default spell checker setting is "American", I would prefer "English"

On the old board, I liked the ability to "hover" the mouse over the subject of the thread to see the first few lines of text, which usually was enough to see if the thread was of interest. On the new board, the hovering only shows the date that thread started, which for me is a retrograde step.

Edited by slim

It is difficult to distinguish between new threads, threads with new replies and old threads. On the old board, the new threads and threads with new replies were presented in BOLD, so it was easy to see that they were 'new'.

I think you can tell a new thread from one that you've viewed by the little folder icon on the left hand side of the thread topic. When it's looks faded out i think it means that you've viewed the topic. Not sure about posts once you're in the thread itself though.

I have had a play around with the new board settings etc and here is my 2p worth:-

Apart from that, all seems okay to me, but at the moment I have to say I preferred the look of the old board.

I'll reserve judgement for a day or two but, like kennyroche, am not too keen on this English (USA)!!... But where is this 'tree mode' please?

Right now everyone will see ALL threads as new. Once you have marked them all as read you will easily notice the difference in appearance when a forum or thread has new content.

I'm fairly sure that there is. I was having a look at the settings and checked that I was "standard" ie. new post at the bottom.

Think I've found what you after.

Once you've logged in. The full click path to get there is...

click Login name in the top right. -> My Settings -> Forums

Once in Forums you can select Topic Display Mode.

My 2p is the html is all a little bit more modern and pleasing on the eye, but sometimes the UI seems to just blur into one lump of off bluey-white and I find it hard to discern what's what. Case in point is the 'My Settings' area where it's hard to spot there are three sub-categories of settings.

On the old board, I liked the ability to "hover" the mouse over the subject of the thread to see the first few lines of text, which usually was enough to see if the thread was of interest. On the new board, the hovering only shows the date that thread started, which for me is a retrograde step.

There's still a way to get the post summary. Hover over the title and a little icon appears to the right, click that and up comes your post summary.

Click on your name in top right hand corner.

My Settings

Forums

Board Preferences

Topic Display Mode

Click on your name in top right hand corner.

My Settings

Forums

Board Preferences

Topic Display Mode

I have already tried all three topic display modes and none of them allow you to list the newest post at the top of the screen.

Another thing, when logging in to the forum, is it possible to have the "remember me" box unticked by default? I don't like the idea of the site placing cookies in my cache.

Right now everyone will see ALL threads as new. Once you have marked them all as read you will easily notice the difference in appearance when a forum or thread has new content.

Yes but it still only differentiates by the folder colour on the left of the topic text. It is much easier and makes much more sense for the whole topic to be in bold text if it is a new thread, or it has new replies, like the old board. If this setting is possible, please consider it.

If you "hover" on a topic you will also see that a little icon (piece of paper with a little green arrow) gracefully appears on the R/H side of the "Topic" column, if you click this you will get a topic preview (the text of the first post).

The one one is really shit to access on the iPhone. Can't quote or enlarge bigger than the size of the iPhone screen. On other webpages you can zoom in really close onto small writing or small pics of pussies & titties.

Not struck on this at all.

Just clicked on 'mark all topics as read' to try and make sense of it, and we still got multi-coloured post icons in ghost form, plus the only way to reply to a post without including a quote is to click on the 'fast reply' option.

Dunno, might be missing something simple and obvious, but I'd get a refund

I agree totally. If there is a setting sequence for the newest post to the top could it please be posted. Also there doesn't seem to be any differentiation between "In" and "Out" on the PM's. Again ,is there some "hidden" setting ? And is there any way to change text size ?

IMO the old board was a far easier to read, friendlier and infinitely faster configuration .

I agree totally. If there is a setting sequence for the newest post to the top could it please be posted.

At the top of each page is your "photo" and Member name and a little drop down menu, select "My settings" from this menu, click on "Forums", select "Linear+" from the "Topic display mode" :-

Linear +: The first post is always shown at the top of the page, with other posts shown one after the other.

need an option to go into chat in float mode instead of having to go in in fixed mode then float off, please

Well I’m finding my way around the new board but most of my old posts seem to have disappeared!!! There in the thread but with no message even ones posted last week, am I not doing something I should? Will they appear later? Is anyone else having the same problem or have I upset someone!!!?

Sensual massage forum no longer seems to be private . Is that intended or just a glitch waiting to be sorted out?

I don't seem to be able to remain logged in ie I have to login each visit which is a minor pain but perhaps that is intentional in this software.

Sensual massage forum no longer seems to be private . Is that intended or just a glitch waiting to be sorted out?

I don't seem to be able to remain logged in ie I have to login each visit which is a minor pain but perhaps that is intentional in this software.

Nope, not intentional -- no probs here ;)

At the top of each page is your "photo" and Member name and a little drop down menu, select "My settings" from this menu, click on "Forums", select "Linear+" from the "Topic display mode" :-

Thanks SaSfan, but I followed your instructions, changed to "Linear+" and no change to post order. I've checked to see if it is still set to "+" (not returned to default and it still is.

Also , please anyone, how does the PM'ing work ? :( :( The only way I can seem to get a message window and recipient is to click on the recipients profile.Whilst admitting that I'm a few pennies short of a pound when it comes to IT , I've never had so many problems before trying to use a system. !

This system blows !! :( :(

Also , please anyone, how does the PM'ing work ? :( :( The only way I can seem to get a message window and recipient is to click on the recipients profile.Whilst admitting that I'm a few pennies short of a pound when it comes to IT , I've never had so many problems before trying to use a system. !

This system blows !! :( :(

1) go to your messenger page via the pull-down menu next to your name.

2) Click the "Compose New" button to get a blank message form.

3) In the "Recipient's Name" box, start typing their name. After you've typed three characters the system will show you all the possible matches, the more you type the more it narrows the list. Click on the one you want to PM.

3a) repeat as needed for additional recipients.

4) Type your message and send it.

5) Spend at least as much time looking and learning as you do complaining and you'll have less to complain about.

Go to last post: is this feature still here?? thanks G.