Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djurban

Help My Maxtor Portable Harddrive Stopped Working

16 posts in this topic

i had all my music n video n photo files (250gb) on it but when i plugged it in it doesnt show up as the usual drive ''e'' , and when it does it says files unreadable and /or corrupt , i shoulda made another back up but im horrified to lose all my family photos and music from the last 5 years :(,

does anyone know if the files can be rescued i tried a couple of the file recovery programs to no avail the drive only works for a few mins then goes off ??? im so scared ive lost this stuff forever :(

Edited by djurban

It is a bit of a long shot but have you tried a different usb cable?

i had all my music n video n photo files (250gb) on it but when i plugged it in it doesnt show up as the usual drive ''e'' , and when it does it says files unreadable and /or corrupt , i shoulda made another back up but im horrified to lose all my family photos and music from the last 5 years :(,

does anyone know if the files can be rescued i tried a couple of the file recovery programs to no avail the drive only works for a few mins then goes off ??? im so scared ive lost this stuff forever :(

My heart really goes out to you. I had a similar problem and lost hundreds of family videos and photos on the drive. I haven't been able to recover them and the drive is too corrupted to retrieve the files without ultra expensive recovery services getting involved. I'm not sure if I had some work pictures on the drive so I can't even pay megabucks for investigation.

The fact that it actually shows up as a drive is encouraging. Mine didn't! Kepp trying or take it to an expert ( if you have only items that you don't mind strangers looking over)

The experts say you should keep at least 2 copies ( that 3 instances ) of important files, and keep them at least 100 yards apart. I now keep every picture I take in a secure place on a hard drive, and a copy online. (Google documents is good for online storage)

I have what I think is a novel "third way" to store all my documents and pictures in safety.

I have a secret website, which is my old telephone number from many years ago. You can imagine something like www.12345678910.co.uk in which I store all my pictures and documents. I keep it NOINDEX for each major search engine, so it won't appear in the search engines and disallow archiving by the archive sites.

Each directory is password protected in case of accidental discovey..

When I need a document I go online and search my site. It costs me about £1 per week for the hosting.

Maybe you won't get your pictures back but you can help avoid it happening again.

Edited by Helen Jones

Sorry to hear about that.

Look about on the net for data recovery software, I've had a couple of dodgy drives before and a pal of mine uses such software to tediously recover my data. PM me if you need help with which software to use and I will find out.

good luck

I have what I think is a novel "third way" to store all my documents and pictures in safety.

I have a secret website, which is my old telephone number from many years ago. You can imagine something like www.12345678910.co.uk in which I store all my pictures and documents. I keep it NOINDEX for each major search engine, so it won't appear in the search engines and disallow archiving by the archive sites.

Each directory is password protected in case of accidental discovey..

When I need a document I go online and search my site. It costs me about £1 per week for the hosting.

Is that an HTTPS (SSL) website? If not, all your data goes over the network "in the clear", so anybody with access to any server through which your data passes can see it. Your password also likely is sent in the clear if it's not HTTPS, so anybody who sniffs that has access in perpetuity. You don't need to buy a certificate to use SSL - you can make one yourself.

Also, since it's not encrypted on the server, any nosy server admin can take a peek.

There are a lot of companies now that do nothing else but encrypted online backup. Why not use one of those instead?

Is that an HTTPS (SSL) website? If not, all your data goes over the network "in the clear", so anybody with access to any server through which your data passes can see it. Your password also likely is sent in the clear if it's not HTTPS, so anybody who sniffs that has access in perpetuity. You don't need to buy a certificate to use SSL - you can make one yourself.

Also, since it's not encrypted on the server, any nosy server admin can take a peek.

There are a lot of companies now that do nothing else but encrypted online backup. Why not use one of those instead?

Yes thank you. I have nothing of any monetary value to hide away.

Just storage of family photos hidden from the casual observer for simple privacy sake. Some documents I want to keep and a few other bits that would be of no importance to anyone except me.

My idea is to store the documents securely and safe from flood and fire

How could I possibly replace my photos! its impossible, but stored online theyre 99% safe. . I don't think the bulk of voyeurs who would want to see my holiday snaps have the wherewithall to actually find them. I keep a hard drive at my Mums house for the same reason.

Thanks for your warning though taken in the spirit it was given.

Edited by Helen Jones

I've had a maxtor hard drive bugger up. I would never buy another one. Seagate are much better imo.

I took my broken one apart and what had happend, is that the reader arm had scratched the actual hard drive disc and made it unreaderable. What I suggest, is that you take your's apart and see what the disc looks like, if it's ok, you could buy another identicle Hard drive and swap the discs over.

I've had a maxtor hard drive bugger up. I would never buy another one. Seagate are much better imo.

I took my broken one apart and what had happend, is that the reader arm had scratched the actual hard drive disc and made it unreaderable. What I suggest, is that you take your's apart and see what the disc looks like, if it's ok, you could buy another identicle Hard drive and swap the discs over.

No no no, THe tolerances in a drive are far to tight and a single spec of dust will be terminal. Any company that opens a drive be it for forensic or data retrieval will have proper clean room facilities

Seagate acquired Maxtor in 2006, I'm unsure of any differences between the two brands as i haven't brought a new drive in a while, WD has been my brand of choice

What I suggest, is that you take your's apart and see what the disc looks like, if it's ok, you could buy another identicle Hard drive and swap the discs over.
No no no, THe tolerances in a drive are far to tight and a single spec of dust will be terminal. Any company that opens a drive be it for forensic or data retrieval will have proper clean room facilities.
I’m sure you’re right, but if all else fails then djurban’s got nothing to loose by giving it a try!

I’m sure you’re right, but if all else fails then djurban’s got nothing to loose by giving it a try!

Best bet is just try a professional service, should be easy enough to find on google. A diy attempt could rule out the professionals succeeding at a later point

Since:

• it's absolutely guaranteed to fail
  • there are always other options (for example: wait 20 years, at which point it may be cheaper to recover the data, some of which may be e.g. personal photos and documents which can't be otherwise recovered)
  • he will lose some time
  • he will expose himself to some small amount of risk (be careful of glass hard disk platters which can shatter)

I'd say, no, that's not true.

Oh, it could be this...(I have the same drive, and had this issue). The cable has three ends. One goes into your drive, and two for the computer. Try plugging both ends in, to two USB ports, and use the USB ports on the computer, which will be powered. The reason is that the Maxtor feeds power off the USB, and sometimes needs more.

Sorry for my misinformation, regarding taking a drive apart. As I said, I took this disc out of a broken maxtor drive and swapping it for another didn't seem that hard a job. I was unaware of the issue with dust.

Accidental loss of music as a result of mechanical failure to a device is not normally covered by contents insurance but might be worth checking if your policy does cover it.

As Helen said, forensic recovery services are likely to be expensive but it might be worth your while getting a quote. Here's a link to a very well known forensic company (my company uses them.) They will probably be very expensive but if you can get two or three quotes by searching online, you might find one suitable/affordable to get your photos and videos back.

Forensic data recovery service quote

Unfortunately, it's only incidents like this that prompt most people to back up properly. I've worked many years advising companies on IT and even I haven't always backed up regularly - I once had a total PC crash and lost several hundred GB of data. Luckily the one thing I had backed up was my photos.

Accidental loss of music as a result of mechanical failure to a device is not normally covered by contents insurance but might be worth checking if your policy does cover it.

As Helen said, forensic recovery services are likely to be expensive but it might be worth your while getting a quote. Here's a link to a very well known forensic company (my company uses them.) They will probably be very expensive but if you can get two or three quotes by searching online, you might find one suitable/affordable to get your photos and videos back.

Forensic data recovery service quote

Unfortunately, it's only incidents like this that prompt most people to back up properly. I've worked many years advising companies on IT and even I haven't always backed up regularly - I once had a total PC crash and lost several hundred GB of data. Luckily the one thing I had backed up was my photos.

thanls for the info - i have just given this drive to a friend who knows someone in i.t cheapest price i found was 94 pounds well starting price lol most are quoting 200 pounds but this guy is gonna do it 4 a lot less -hopefully ill get good news?????

With luck may just be a problem with the circuitry/firmware and a relatively simple job