starman

BBC:Smith accused over prostitute law(feminists furious)

18 posts in this topic

Interesting that the headline runs 'Smith accused of back tracking'.... not that we need any reminder of the left-wing and feminazi dominance of the BBC, and in particularly of the news room.

Quote from the article :-

What they don't explain is this: if this benign view of prostitution in the UK is accurate, why should punters be worried about a law that would have applied only to a tiny minority of women who have been trafficked or are under the control of pimps?

If the vast majority of women who sell sex are self-employed businesswomen, who see only the men they choose, are able to insist on safe sex at all times, have no drug or alcohol problems and have never met a pimp, most men who pay for sex had nothing to fear from Smith's original proposal.

That is fair comment IMHO, however in their turn they make no attempt to define/explain "controlled for gain", therefore IMHO it is not unreasonable for a punter to be extremely wary of a law, and a "strict liability" one to boot, where the main clause ("controlled for gain") could possibly be open to wide and varied interpretation.

Quote from the article :-

That is fair comment IMHO, however in their turn they make no attempt to define/explain "controlled for gain", therefore IMHO it is not unreasonable for a punter to be extremely wary of a law, and a "strict liability" one to boot, where the main clause ("controlled for gain") could possibly be open to wide and varied interpretation.

- which is exactrly what poster after poster tried to get through to Joan Smith in the comments that followed.

It seems like it is a desperate attempt for Labour to fix any bad publicity they have had in recent months but they are now more or less fucked either way. People think it's bad now with Labour but it will be even worse if/ when the Tories come back into power, they are more anti-sexual freedom then Labour.

Be interesting if there was a list of different newspapers' general views on prostitution. I always considered the Guardian as the type of newspaper who would support full legalisation (not that I actually read it), guess not.

Be interesting if there was a list of different newspapers' general views on prostitution. I always considered the Guardian as the type of newspaper who would support full legalisation (not that I actually read it), guess not.

I think once upon a time it would have been in support of liberalising the prostitution laws. Not any longer, not since its op-ed pages have been colonised by Julie Bindel and her ilk anyway. :mad:

(Which in itself is perhaps symptomatic of a turn away from class-based politics to rights-based politics over the past 20 years or so.)

B

People think it's bad now with Labour but it will be even worse if/ when the Tories come back into power, they are more anti-sexual freedom then Labour.

I don't know, though. I think the feminazi contingent is very much a left-wing thing - Tories tend to be much more laissez-faire. I think if push came to shove, a Tory government would say they're against all the much-hyped 'evils of prostitution' - drug addiction, trafficking, etc - but there actually wouldn't be much of a groundswell to do anything about it.

..it will be even worse if/ when the Tories come back into power, they are more anti-sexual freedom then Labour

Any evidence for this? Any evidence of Tories removing the right to do anything, sexual or not, would be a start.

I can't recollect Major's government banning kerbcrawling. Who did? Of course Nu-Labour.

I can't recollect Major's government banning kerbcrawling. Who did? Of course Nu-Labour.

eh, don't forget the Street Offences Act 1959:

An Act to make, as respects England and Wales, further provision against loitering or soliciting in public places for the purpose of prostitution, and for the punishment of those guilty of certain offences in connection with refreshment houses and those who live on the earnings of or control prostitutes.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1959/cukpga_19590057_en_1

Any evidence for this? Any evidence of Tories removing the right to do anything, sexual or not, would be a start.

There is no right (natural, inalienable or otherwise) to pay someone else for sex, just as there is no right for someone to sell it. The freedom to so both, however, is another matter entirely... and both major political parties have been quick to curtail that freedom (in its broadest sense) for ideological and political reasons to meet their own respective agendas. :rolleyes:

B

There is no right (natural, inalienable or otherwise) to pay someone else for sex, just as there is no right for someone to sell it. The freedom to so both, however, is another matter entirely... and both major political parties have been quick to curtail that freedom (in its broadest sense) for ideological and political reasons to meet their own respective agendas

Yes, I too do not believe in 'natural rights' (like 'common sense', everyone's definition is different so the term has no value) but I was using 'right' as a synonym of 'freedom' :rolleyes:.

'Sex ban puts us at greater risk'

As parliament makes it an offence to buy sex from women forced into prostitution, Gwladys Fouch