Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Helen Jones

Java For Android.

4 posts in this topic

Is there Java or a similar programme for Android mobile browsers?

My understanding is that Andriod includes Googles' variant of Java, and all the apps are written in Java.

Is there Java or a similar programme for Android mobile browsers?

Erm I going to assume your asking whether an Android phone's web browser can run Java code(applets)

If that's the case a bit of a background is needed to avoid confusion but the short answer is...

"No, the Android Web browser can't run Java applets. So if you have website that runs client-side Java code it won't run on the Android phone."

The later versions of the Android OS (ie v2.1 etc) are starting to support some of the more fancier web features like Adobe Flash and some of the new HMTL5 spec. The confusion can arise because developers that write apps for the phone will write them in an Android version of Java. So the apps you put on the phone are in (Android's special flavour of) Java.

Am wondering what prompted your question...

Edited by Zarniwoop

My understanding is that Andriod includes Googles' variant of Java, and all the apps are written in Java.

You can actually write apps in C++ as well with the Android 'Native Development Kit'. but I think received wisdom is to write them using the Java SDK unless you need the speed and willing to pay the tax of writing to the very much lower level NDK.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Google's apps that come with the phones are predominately C++ not Java.