Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dick78

A Geography Question

20 posts in this topic

How many ladies on this, and other boards, actually did geography at school and remembered any of it.

Search in service providers and you will find that the south east extends from Portsmouth, via Dover and Oxford, to Milton Keynes and even Northampton. The east midlands also includes Northampton, Leicester, Luton, Watford and Leeds. This can make using the facility a little bit hit and miss and can even be a bit annoying if you are searching a big, slow database such as ** seems to have. So come on ladies, if you are in Portsmouth its in the south; Dover is in the south east and surely MK must be home counties. London is London and not Watford or Hemel Hempstead or Dartford or Heathrow.

My old teacher, mad bugger that he was, would turn in his grave if he saw some of this.

Marketing comes into this as much as geography. Luton is in London when it's necessary to attract additional business e.g. the airport. So it's not surprising when everyone else uses the same licence.

How many ladies on this, and other boards, actually did geography at school and remembered any of it.

Search in service providers and you will find that the south east extends from Portsmouth, via Dover and Oxford, to Milton Keynes and even Northampton. The east midlands also includes Northampton, Leicester, Luton, Watford and Leeds. This can make using the facility a little bit hit and miss and can even be a bit annoying if you are searching a big, slow database such as ** seems to have. So come on ladies, if you are in Portsmouth its in the south; Dover is in the south east and surely MK must be home counties. London is London and not Watford or Hemel Hempstead or Dartford or Heathrow.

My old teacher, mad bugger that he was, would turn in his grave if he saw some of this.

I was good at Geography at school. I got an "A" at A-level when it was difficult to get an "A". Mind you, I only got a "C" at O-level, so I couldn't have been that good. I reckon a "C" then is probably equivalent to at least a "B" now. Well I like to think so.

I reckon that Southampton, as well as being in the south, marks the delineation between south-west and south-east.

I wouldn't put Oxford in the south-east either - more like south-midlands. I agree with your other comments although I think that there is an understandable case for putting Dartford and Heathrow in London,even though they're not.

Surely if your good a geography there is no problem. Use the post code to search.

Victor Meldrew have you not got an ornament to glue back together or something :rolleyes:

Surely if your good a geography there is no problem. Use the post code to search.

Victor Meldrew have you not got an ornament to glue back together or something :rolleyes:

I haven't had a rummage with the new search facility yet, but I do sometimes get callers assuming I'm in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc on the basis I'm in the 'North', 'Northwest' even. The northwest covers a LARGE region in most folks estimation. Also being on the corner of Cumbria it's assumed I'm in Carlisle. There are other notable towns in Cumbria you know, it's a big county originally two. Bring back Westmorland.

Hum.

Edited by Strawberry

So would mine !

Leeds in the East Midlands ??!!

So where is Southampton then cos i have to spend a night there next month north south east or west lol

So would mine !

Leeds in the East Midlands ??!!

I think that there is an understandable case for putting Dartford and Heathrow in London,even though they're not.
Heathrow is in the London Borough of Hillingdon... :)

Heathrow is in the London Borough of Hillingdon... :)

Doesn't surprise me, although I had mistakenly thought that it was in Berkshire, like Windsor and Slough.

So where is Southampton then cos i have to spend a night there next month north south east or west lol

South, in Hampshire, just above the Isle of Wight.

Doesn't surprise me, although I had mistakenly thought that it was in Berkshire, like Windsor and Slough.

Literally, it's on the edge! However, a geographic area is more defined by travel then geo-political boundaries. A person in Watford can easily get to, say, Milton Keynes, or even Oxford (35 minutes from the McD on St.Albans Road, to north Oxford, done it enough times!), easier than to say, Broxbourne, even though they're both in Hertfordshire, and Milton Keynes and Oxford are in different counties (and please don't ask me which county Oxford is in!)

Literally, it's on the edge! However, a geographic area is more defined by travel then geo-political boundaries. A person in Watford can easily get to, say, Milton Keynes, or even Oxford (35 minutes from the McD on St.Albans Road, to north Oxford, done it enough times!), easier than to say, Broxbourne, even though they're both in Hertfordshire, and Milton Keynes and Oxford are in different counties (and please don't ask me which county Oxford is in!)

Oxfordshire?

Even more annoying is girls who get their postcode completly wrong. On a site I shall not mention, there is a girl who states she is in glasgow. Pity, then she has put a GL postcode in which is Gloucester. So you search for girls within 10 miles of GL1 and you get a girl in Scotland.

You could not make it up!

According to the tour calendar, Belfast is in the Channel Islands :huh:

South, in Hampshire, just above the Isle of Wight.

30 miles from Bournemouth.

Southampton is usually put in the 'South East' section, but also crops up in 'South West'. To me it is, as others have said, on the boundary and should be 'South'.

The main problem, I think, is not the geographical knowledge of individuals but the sometimes silly restrictions placed on us by the structures used in Boards' listings.

And yes indeed! Bring back Cumberland and Westmoreland! :)

I did that this morning so a bit bored for the rest of the day..........

Edited by rlw

Southampton is usually put in the 'South East' section, but also crops up in 'South West'. To me it is, as others have said, on the boundary and should be 'South'.

The main problem, I think, is not the geographical knowledge of individuals but the sometimes silly restrictions placed on us by the structures used in Boards' listings.

And yes indeed! Bring back Cumberland and Westmoreland! :)

And get rid of Tyne & Weir, East West and North Yorkshire, Avon etc and give us back our Ridings, proper counties and Rutland.

And get rid of Tyne & Weir, East West and North Yorkshire, Avon etc and give us back our Ridings, proper counties and Rutland.

we have rutland....

Go to Oakham!

we have rutland....
True, a good campaign to get out of Leicestershire, but why Rutland, and not Rutlandshire? No hope I guess in getting Middlesex back though (but Coventry is looking to rejoin Warwickshire). Actually, the new search facility on PNet for area is pretty groovy. Found a most interesting WG near me, who I just might need to contact.