JKay

Microsoft .net Framework 1.1

10 posts in this topic

I'm running XP and yesterday I tried to download MS security updates but one does not load, its an update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, not sure what it does, is it some sort of add on that I have collected over the years, can I just dump it without any danger of crashing the whole shooting match?

(sorry - misread. Deleted)

Edited by SoapyTitWank

I'm running XP and yesterday I tried to download MS security updates but one does not load, its an update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, not sure what it does, is it some sort of add on that I have collected over the years, can I just dump it without any danger of crashing the whole shooting match?

.NET is used by a number of progammes. V1.1 is very old. If it is a security update I would update as it is probably trying to block a potential breach in security in some old programmes you may be running.

Having the .NET Framework installed is pretty much a necessity these days as many programs use it. It's up to version 4.0 now, so if you're running version 1.0 you're really behind the curve (although it's possible later version don't run on XP).

B

You can different versions of te framework installed at once, so even if you installed v4, you would still have v1.1 installed.

I would try to install the patch again, as sometime patches fail when several are installed at once.

You can different versions of te framework installed at once, so even if you installed v4, you would still have v1.1 installed.

I would try to install the patch again, as sometime patches fail when several are installed at once.

its still not loading, what happens if I delete framework?

its still not loading, what happens if I delete framework?

Don't do it FCS! Its easy enough to remove it (Not on XP now, but I think its in a folder Windows-Miicrosoft .net). It might fuck up your present registry, spread DLLs files all over, and you will get loads of error messages, especially when some other servers and hardware connected.

Did you had a look on this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643/en-us

There is part of that is tempted to say forget about it, as it is an old framework, and fairly unlikely to be an attack vector due to it not being installed on all windows machines, but I also know that it nag at me, and that I would probably try and resolve itt. So I would end up following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 and uninstall and then reinstall all the frameworks that are on your machine. Boring I know, but you won't know what applications on your machine that are dependant on having different versions of the framework installed, so just removing it may cause more problems.

I agree with Way Too Tall. I had this problem on a laptop recently.

If you follow his link and then scroll down to the second option, there's an automated removal tool. Works a treat.

Edited by Highland Amanda

What the security patch does can be found in the patch's download page, however I can guarantee that not installing just a security patch for a .NET framework is not going to be a workstopper of any kind..In one of my laptops, I have turned off Automatic Updates completely, meaning no updates are downloaded at all..