richardern

Editing And Deleting Posts.

17 posts in this topic

I have found that I can only edit a post once, and then if I notice another error on it, it appears to be locked as the edit function button disappears from the bottom of the window.

In trying to re edit a post and experimenting a bit , I inadvertently created another one, which I could not then delete! I used my one time edit to mark the new post as junk, and apologise for posting it in the first place, but still cannot find a way to delete it. :confused:

Any help please?

The post that gave rise to the problem is :- http://punternet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11830-merly-lee/ post #2 (I wanted to delete the word "fairly") & #3 ( I would like to delete it).

Any help please?

PS I know that it is better to use the preview and clean post before submitting, but I just aint that good at noticing my own errors :)

PPS. in posting this question, I notice that I can edit more than once here, (although I still cant see a delete option), is it just different on the "private" boards?

Edited by richardern

PPS. in posting this question, I notice that I can edit more than once here, (although I still cant see a delete option), is it just different on the "private" boards?

The ability to edit is limited by a time constraint (AFAIK it is approx 3 minutes) rather than a number of times, the "delete post" function is not enabled for grunts.

Edited by SaSfan

The ability to edit is limited by a time constraint (AFAIK it is approx 3 minutes) rather than a number of times, the "delete post" function is not enabled for grunts.

Thanks for the info Sasfan, I guess us "grunts" just cant be trusted with such powerful tools, can we! lol.

I guess us "grunts" just cant be trusted with such powerful tools, can we! lol.

True, however I don't think I really want to have the ability to delete my posts, there are enough of them deleted as it is.

Nice to see the admin/moderation team having such respect for the members.

Nice to see the admin/moderation team having such respect for the members.

I'm sure you have an outstanding reason for reviving a long-dead thread only to post a snide remark. If you have an issue please feel free to let us know?

As for 'accidental duplicate posts', if you want them deleted you can hit the 'report' button and one of us will do that for you.

Thanks for the info Sasfan, I guess us "grunts" just cant be trusted with such powerful tools, can we! lol.

I'm sure the average grunt can control a powerful tool as well as the rest of us! :D

I'm sure you have an outstanding reason for reviving a long-dead thread only to post a snide remark. If you have an issue please feel free to let us know?

As for 'accidental duplicate posts', if you want them deleted you can hit the 'report' button and one of us will do that for you.

Seems that some mods don't like criticism.

No Clare, I wanted to know about editing my posts as I made a couple of typos and couldn't edit them. I found this thread and didn't check how old it was. It wasn't a snide remark, it was an observation. A snide remark would be calling the members something derogatory.

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about with your second sentence there Clare, but thanks for flexing your moderator muscles by way of your response.

My mistake, I thought SASFan was a Mod, she's apparently not unless she's a secret Mod. I still can't edit my posts so I presume that there are different permissions dependant upon who is who?

No Clare, I wanted to know about editing my posts as I made a couple of typos and couldn't edit them. I found this thread and didn't check how old it was. It wasn't a snide remark, it was an observation. A snide remark would be calling the members something derogatory.

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about with your second sentence there Clare, but thanks for flexing your moderator muscles by way of your response.

You can edit posts for a limited amount of time after posting them (five minutes?). Frustrating to be honest but I can understand (what I presume to be) the reasoning behind it.

B

Edited by bacchus

After a post has been made, there is a few minutes where corrections can be made, after that time has expired a member does not have the ability to correct or change text themself, there are good reasons for this, but for now I know its a pain, so use a spell checker or compose in something like Word etc.

The Moderating team have no tools to alter or modify the content of threads, so be sure before you hit the send button.

If you have posted something in error you could always contact a member of the Mod team, subject to work load, its has been known for a poster to request his post to be deleted so that they can work on it in say Word, correct any major errors of fact or gramer then post again but if its just a basic error then as long as it reads ok its not realy worth it.

'Nice to see the moderating team showing such respect for ordinary members ' was the snide remark. And yes, the 'grunt' reference WAS made by an ordinary member - and SASfan is a bloke. So bitching about the Mod team not showing respect was a) snide and B ) incorrect.

You did not at any point ask about editing your post! in fact, you added nothing to the thread except your 'remark'.

The second sentence wasn't in reply to you, it was in reply to the original question.

Thanks for the tip Claire, although the report button does bring up a dialogue box stating "This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons"

However, I tried this remedy anyway, and it did work, but unfortunately, it took out all my messages on the thread - Merly

:o , so beware, it is a sledge hammer to crack a nut :), but it does work . On reflection, I would have been better off leaving things as they were :rolleyes:

Thanks again anyway Claire.

Edited by richardern

Thanks for the tip Claire, although the report button does bring up a dialogue box stating "This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons"

However, I tried this remedy anyway, and it did work, but unfortunately, it took out all my messages on the thread - Merly

:o , so beware, it is a sledge hammer to crack a nut :), but it does work . On reflection, I would have been better off leaving things as they were :rolleyes:

Thanks again anyway Claire.

This may well have been me, I spotted your report, clicked on it and deleted the only post from you in the thread and deleted it as requested.

It also helps to quote the number of the reply you are refering too, top right hand corner of message (#01.

It also helps to quote the number of the reply you are refering too, top right hand corner of message (#01.

Hi Jkay,

Thanks for the extra information.

Like this you mean "The post that gave rise to the problem is :- http://punternet.com...1830-merly-lee/ post #2 (I wanted to delete the word "fairly") & #3 ( I would like to delete it)."

This is from the very first post in this thread which you can see if you scroll up to the top. lol perhaps I should have been as careful when I sent the "report" request, never mind!

Hi Jkay,

Thanks for the extra information.

Like this you mean "The post that gave rise to the problem is :- http://punternet.com...1830-merly-lee/ post #2 (I wanted to delete the word "fairly") & #3 ( I would like to delete it)."

This is from the very first post in this thread which you can see if you scroll up to the top. lol perhaps I should have been as careful when I sent the "report" request, never mind!

I'm not 100% sure if this is relevant to your situation, but deleting the first post in a thread usually means killing the whole thread, or it did mean that when I was a mod when vBulletin was being used.