Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrond

The Law And Policy Of Sex Work - Monday, October 18 At 7:00pm

16 posts in this topic

The law and policy of sex work - Monday, October 18 at 7:00PM

Dr Belinda Brooks-Gordon, with a reply by Dr Brooke Magnanti Monday, October 18 at 7:00PM

Westminster Skeptics

Where?

The Monk Exchange

Strutton Ground

London

SW1H 0HW

I believe there is a charge of 2 poinds to attend.

Two people I would love to meet.

Edited by elrond

I went to this meeting in a pub. I am quite taken by the idea and would probably want to go along to other Skeptics in the Pub evenings. Apparently there are 25 groups in the UK.

There was a presentation by Dr Belinda Brooks-Gordon on how the numbers associated with sex work were derived, that is the numbers who work as sex workers, and the numbers trafficked. She also made it very plain how angry she was with the last Government on how they suppressed a report which they instigated until after the legislation had been passed. This was the review of the literature. This was suppressed for a whole year. She also talked about the harm of various aspects of the new and existing legislation on sex workers and their clients. She also talked about the rescue industry, and the factions in the police, those opposing more legislation, and the officers who wanted more. She touched on the proceeds of crime, and on several cases that the courts have thrown out. I new the Bedford one, but apparently there have been a couple more recently further North.

After she spoke, Dr Brooke Magnanti spoke and gave her perspective from a sex worker on the legislation, and on the attitudes of the anti prostitution brigade in not accepting her position as a sex worker.

There were questions from the floor, this was started by a long monologue from an anti prostitution feminist. Her statements (not questions) were then adequately answered by Belinda and Belle. Other than that statement, the atmosphere was very supportive of what Belinda and Belle had said.

There was a point made by Belinda about what David Blunkett had failed to achieve in legalizing small brothels. It was said by Downing street that the public would not support such a change. Belinda said how ironic it was that the Ipsus Mori poll showed there was support for prostitution in this country, even in a poll geared to elicit the opposite result. (i.e trafficking and would you want your daughter to work in the sex industry). At this stage she called on Catherine Stephens who was in the crowd to give a run down on the BBC program she did the other day, where the result was 80% in favour of accepting prostitution. Catherine spoke very well, even though she had not expected to be called on. After wards many people came up to Catherine and thanked her for speaking.

Well I met and spoke with Belinda, Belle and Catherine. Also had a chat with Dr Evan Harris who was the Liberal MP who did so much in Parliament to try and block some of the legislation. In his summing up speech he gave credit to Catherine on the help she had been in that fight.

There should be a podcast available soon, I will publish the link to it when available.

The Westminster Skeptics site is http://westminster.skepticsinthepub.org

and the event details are here http://westminster.skepticsinthepub.org/Event.aspx/383/The-law-and-policy-of-sex-work

It was a good evening.

I went to this meeting in a pub. I am quite taken by the idea and would probably want to go along to other Skeptics in the Pub evenings. Apparently there are 25 groups in the UK.

There was a presentation by Dr Belinda Brooks-Gordon on how the numbers associated with sex work were derived, that is the numbers who work as sex workers, and the numbers trafficked. She also made it very plain how angry she was with the last Government on how they suppressed a report which they instigated until after the legislation had been passed. This was the review of the literature. This was suppressed for a whole year. She also talked about the harm of various aspects of the new and existing legislation on sex workers and their clients. She also talked about the rescue industry, and the factions in the police, those opposing more legislation, and the officers who wanted more. She touched on the proceeds of crime, and on several cases that the courts have thrown out. I new the Bedford one, but apparently there have been a couple more recently further North.

After she spoke, Dr Brooke Magnanti spoke and gave her perspective from a sex worker on the legislation, and on the attitudes of the anti prostitution brigade in not accepting her position as a sex worker.

There were questions from the floor, this was started by a long monologue from an anti prostitution feminist. Her statements (not questions) were then adequately answered by Belinda and Belle. Other than that statement, the atmosphere was very supportive of what Belinda and Belle had said.

There was a point made by Belinda about what David Blunkett had failed to achieve in legalizing small brothels. It was said by Downing street that the public would not support such a change. Belinda said how ironic it was that the Ipsus Mori poll showed there was support for prostitution in this country, even in a poll geared to elicit the opposite result. (i.e trafficking and would you want your daughter to work in the sex industry). At this stage she called on Catherine Stephens who was in the crowd to give a run down on the BBC program she did the other day, where the result was 80% in favour of accepting prostitution. Catherine spoke very well, even though she had not expected to be called on. After wards many people came up to Catherine and thanked her for speaking.

Well I met and spoke with Belinda, Belle and Catherine. Also had a chat with Dr Evan Harris who was the Liberal MP who did so much in Parliament to try and block some of the legislation. In his summing up speech he gave credit to Catherine on the help she had been in that fight.

There should be a podcast available soon, I will publish the link to it when available.

The Westminster Skeptics site is http://westminster.skepticsinthepub.org

and the event details are here http://westminster.skepticsinthepub.org/Event.aspx/383/The-law-and-policy-of-sex-work

It was a good evening.

Slightly off topic but why do they spell sceptics with a k? that's the American version of the spelling, and since they're calling themselves Westminster Skeptics it seems rather odd.

Thanks for that Elrond. I wish I had gone with you. I had been in contact with them all, but was doing other things. Let me know next time, and we'll make a date of it!

Madam Becky x

She touched on the proceeds of crime, and on several cases that the courts have thrown out. I new the Bedford one, but apparently there have been a couple more recently further North.

I dont suppose you caught any details of these? Im aware of a recent case in Durham where a woman pleaded guilty to assisting in the mamagement of a brothel and the judge slammed the police for bringing the case and prevented them from taking proceeds of crime. That and the Claire Finch case with her being found not guilty but was not aware of any other posative cases recently and it could be quite usefull

Thanks for that Elrond. I wish I had gone with you. I had been in contact with them all, but was doing other things. Let me know next time, and we'll make a date of it!

Madam Becky x

Damn, I never thought to ask you, it would have been good to have you there.

There are a couple of events I would like to go to, but alas things are in the way. I got an invite to the ECP party, they have moved to a new building and are fund raising to do it up. There is on Sunday week a discussion with Julie Brindel , Laura Augustin Nick Mai and others about trafficking. This though costs £50 to go to.

http://www.lauraagustin.com/battle-of-ideas-on-human-trafficking-london-31-october-2010

http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/index.php/2010/session_detail/4117/

I dont suppose you caught any details of these? Im aware of a recent case in Durham where a woman pleaded guilty to assisting in the mamagement of a brothel and the judge slammed the police for bringing the case and prevented them from taking proceeds of crime. That and the Claire Finch case with her being found not guilty but was not aware of any other posative cases recently and it could be quite usefull

I will try and find out, one was probably the Durham case, because she mentioned the police were barred from taking the proceeds of crime. I expect the ECP will know.

~Just want to thank elrond for drawing attention to this meeting, and for an excellent report. In a week of doom, it makes you feel glad that there are so many with positive ( or at least neutral ) views on sexy work.

Thanks again elrond

Edited by bongo

thanks for this Elrond... I'm glad you had a wonderful and informed time,as Madam Becky said, i really would of like to go too this meeting. Unfortunately i'm stuck State side working on a Project. Hopefully the time next one! ;) until then, Please keep us inform Elrond as i know some of us are very interested in getting involved somehow, and Righting the Wrongs for sex workers and fighting Laws too protect them. Thanks again.

cheers,

Joe frost

~Just want to thank elrond for drawing attention to this meeting, and for an excellent report. In a week of doom, it makes you feel glad that there are so many with positive ( or at least neutral ) views on sexy work.

Thanks again elrond

indeed,its only by greater politicisation of sex workers and allies that will help to challenge the moral supremacists

indeed,its only by greater politicisation of sex workers and allies that will help to challenge the moral supremacists

One very nice comment made by one of the organisers of the Skeptics was that she used to live next door to a small brothel flat. The ladies who worked there were nice and helpful, she could rely on them to look after and feed her cats when she was away. But the police when they raided the place trampled all over her flowers!!!

Slightly off topic but why do they spell sceptics with a k? that's the American version of the spelling, and since they're calling themselves Westminster Skeptics it seems rather odd.

It seems these Skeptics prefer the original Greek root of skepitikos rather than the Latin scepticus.

The "k" spelling was in use in England in times past. Samuel Johnson, in his great dictionary of 1755, went so far as to favour "Skeptick".

One very nice comment made by one of the organisers of the Skeptics was that she used to live next door to a small brothel flat. The ladies who worked there were nice and helpful, she could rely on them to look after and feed her cats when she was away. But the police when they raided the place trampled all over her flowers!!!

I love that! Smashing! The police have a very poor attitude to pansies.

Poppy Project duped

The Poppy Project, one of the main protagonists campaiging for stringent legislation in connection with prostitution because of its alleged connection with people trafficking has, it appears, been duped into providing shelter to a middle eastern housemaid who claimed to have been treated as a slave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

I think it is interesting that the UK Boarder Agency was criticised for not having checked the 'victim's' story with her former employers. I believe this may be a symptom of the previous government's attempts at political indoctrination of the civil service which I think was behind some of the Home Office's pronouncements on people trafficking, sex trafficking and prostitution in particular.

This incident does demonstrate the gullability of the authorities which may have been due to the previous government's ideological stance. It also calls into question the continued public funding of groups that enthusiastically supported Labour's ideology despite significant evidence that there were serious doubts to party's policy stance.