Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Northwinds

Another Ipad Problem

9 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is just me, but I am having trouble posting to this forum on my iPad. Basically, whenever I try and post something (which entails clicking on "add reply" and placing the cursor in the text box), I get no soft keyboard, so cannot enter any text. The iPad is fine on other forums, but not this one. It used to work fine in the old vBulletin software, but not now. Has anyone else come across this, or is it just me ?

I am posting this reply using my iPad, so I am not sure what is going on with yours. It sounds like a browser issue, or possibly that there is a Bluetooth keyboard active, in which case the soft keyboard will not appear.

Thanks G, but your reply has really puzzled me as to what to do next.

I have 3 web browsers installed on the iPad (Safari, Atomic Lite and Anonymous Browser). All 3 are showing similar symptoms when I try and reply to a post from this board (i.e. the soft keyboard not being displayed when I try and type into the reply box).

The behaviour on using the "fast reply" box is subtly different. On Atomic Lite and Anonymous Browser, the Soft Key Board is momentarily displayed and then withdrawn. On Safari though, when I click into the fast reply box, the App actually crashes on me - the only one of the three to do this.

All of my other forums that I use seem to work fine. I have no problem logging in to punternet (i.e. the soft keyboard comes up fine on the login fields), only when trying to type into the reply box.

I disabled Bluetooth on my iPad when I bought it to save battery life, so it can't be conflict with any other bluetooth device. I have tried enabling Bluetooth to see if this made a difference (it's called grasping at straws), but it didn't.

I am stumped - and it's not something I particularly want to engage Apple support in for obvious reasons. Very frustrating for someone like me who spends many nights away in hotels reliant on his iPad to engage with punternet.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Right, after an afternoon spent upgrading iTunes, my iPad OS and even resetting the damned thing back to factory defaults, I got nowhere. The problem was still there :angry:.

The I hit google to see what I could find. Aha, should have tried that first. From this other IP Board forum, it appears to be a known IP Board fault. The recommended workaround is to disable the RTE (Rich Text Editor) in My Settings on IP Board.

I have done so and guess what ? I can now use my iPad keyboard on the punternet message board :D. I can only assume G that you already have the RTE disabled for your iPad to work with IP Board.

It may or may not be a bit of a drag not having the RTE (doesn't seem too bad at the mo), but I can manage I suppose :rolleyes: .

Can we go back to vBulletin now please Galahad :P ?

I don't know if this is just me, but I am having trouble posting to this forum on my iPad. Basically, whenever I try and post something (which entails clicking on "add reply" and placing the cursor in the text box), I get no soft keyboard, so cannot enter any text. The iPad is fine on other forums, but not this one. It used to work fine in the old vBulletin software, but not now. Has anyone else come across this, or is it just me ?

So you have an Ipad. Tell me, is it just a larger Ipod or does it have any magical powers beyond the Ipod.

I don't want to buy a fashion / sheep item but I don't want to dismiss it out of hand either, ergo the question.!

Thank you.

So you have an Ipad. Tell me, is it just a larger Ipod or does it have any magical powers beyond the Ipod.

I don't want to buy a fashion / sheep item but I don't want to dismiss it out of hand either, ergo the question.!

Thank you.

Hi Helen

Baaaaahhhh :D !

I am happy to confirm your view that the iPad is indeed nothing more than an iPod Touch (or iPhone minus the ability to make phone calls) on steroids.

Why am I happy with that ?

Well, I have been using an iPod Touch myself for a couple of years and I love it. However, the very thing that attracted me to it (ability to read e-mail, browse the web, watch movies) in addition to play music are rendered difficult to use because of the tiny screen.

The iPad solves all of that. The screen is gorgeous and the iPad is my constant travel companion. I got a 64GB, 3G version and it holds masses of stuff and as far as I am concerned is the bees knees (and I am NOT an early technology adopter by nature). Everything I had hoped my iPod would do (it did, but very clumsily), the iPad does 10 times better, simply because of it's size.

Truth be told, it's still a toy. If you are after something that will let you do serious computing (e.g. writing documents, spreadsheets, databases and web design), get a laptop. If you are after something that is fun, offers easy access to the web on the move and is a great way to store music, video and books, then it is hard to beat an iPad at the moment.

The new generation of 10" tablet PCs (both Android and Windows based) may rival the iPad and even beat it hands down on price. To date, these much vaunted beasts have yet to arrive though.

One thing the iPad is seriously deficient in is having no camera. It would be ideal for Skype videocons if it did have. I expect a version 2 will arive one day soon that will include this.

One more positive thing about the iPad is it's 10 hour battery life which beats any laptop I have ever used hands down.

Some people complain about it's weight. This has never been a trouble for me.

Hope that helps. Baaahhhh!

Hi Helen

Baaaaahhhh :D !

I am happy to confirm your view that the iPad is indeed nothing more than an iPod Touch (or iPhone minus the ability to make phone calls) on steroids.

Why am I happy with that ?

Well, I have been using an iPod Touch myself for a couple of years and I love it. However, the very thing that attracted me to it (ability to read e-mail, browse the web, watch movies) in addition to play music are rendered difficult to use because of the tiny screen.

The iPad solves all of that. The screen is gorgeous and the iPad is my constant travel companion. I got a 64GB, 3G version and it holds masses of stuff and as far as I am concerned is the bees knees (and I am NOT an early technology adopter by nature). Everything I had hoped my iPod would do (it did, but very clumsily), the iPad does 10 times better, simply because of it's size.

Truth be told, it's still a toy. If you are after something that will let you do serious computing (e.g. writing documents, spreadsheets, databases and web design), get a laptop. If you are after something that is fun, offers easy access to the web on the move and is a great way to store music, video and books, then it is hard to beat an iPad at the moment.

The new generation of 10" tablet PCs (both Android and Windows based) may rival the iPad and even beat it hands down on price. To date, these much vaunted beasts have yet to arrive though.

One thing the iPad is seriously deficient in is having no camera. It would be ideal for Skype videocons if it did have. I expect a version 2 will arive one day soon that will include this.

One more positive thing about the iPad is it's 10 hour battery life which beats any laptop I have ever used hands down.

Some people complain about it's weight. This has never been a trouble for me.

Hope that helps. Baaahhhh!

I think Northwinds summary is pretty accurate. With Apple you are paying as much for the user experience and design as the features. It's the BMW of IT. You know a Lexus is better built, has more features and is cheaper but a BMW (Apple) has those intangibles that Lexus can never match. You pay through the nose for BMW/Apple though.

For what it's worth, I bought my wife an Ipad as a present and I can honestly say that at the moment she opened it up, I had never seen her look so overjoyed! And she is not in the least bit material or tech savvy.

I may get one for the Mrs

Right, after an afternoon spent upgrading iTunes, my iPad OS and even resetting the damned thing back to factory defaults, I got nowhere. The problem was still there :angry:.

The I hit google to see what I could find. Aha, should have tried that first. From this other IP Board forum, it appears to be a known IP Board fault. The recommended workaround is to disable the RTE (Rich Text Editor) in My Settings on IP Board.

I have done so and guess what ? I can now use my iPad keyboard on the punternet message board :D. I can only assume G that you already have the RTE disabled for your iPad to work with IP Board.

It may or may not be a bit of a drag not having the RTE (doesn't seem too bad at the mo), but I can manage I suppose :rolleyes: .

Can we go back to vBulletin now please Galahad :P ?

yes this forum layout is a bit all over the place