Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
karin_sheffield

A Novel Slant On Pricing

16 posts in this topic

Was recently made aware of a publication by a travel writer who frequently indulged in paid for sex. An excerpt -

"Two things in life have proved to be invariably true - the price of an ounce of gold has always been the price of a good suit, more or less, going right back to Roman, Greek or Egyptian times, and the price of a good fuck is always ten times the price of a haircut. This truth is known as the Universal Copulation Constant or, if you happen to be an economist, the Shadow Price of Pussy.

Ten times the price of the same quality, of course. At one extreme you could be sitting in a plush reclining chair in a sumptuous, marble line establishment, soft music playing, sipping a coffee and having your hands manicured during the operation, and at the other extreme you could be sitting on the pavement in a sleazy backstreet. And the same goes for the haircut...."

Edited by karin_sheffield

Well, I pay £6 for a haircut, and that's an outcall.

I do it myself - what does that make me ?

Interesting theory.

My haircuts generally cost £10 so I buy into that part.

But gold is over £800/oz, now I know there's plenty on this site who pay that for a suit, but it's too rich for my blood. Man at C&A (ask your Mum) was always nearer my mark.

I've not really any idea how much a suit costs (I should have googled the price of gold before posting...), but not surprised it makes a mess of a grand.

I also cut my own hair, I'm 21 and I style to a perfectly looking faux hawk (have been doing it for the past year and a half). Otherwise I'd have to spend at least £15/fortnight and I quite like the way I do it. Anyway, as someone already asked 'what does that make me?'

I had a haircut today, in preparation for a punt am going to . cost £9.50 and i gave him a 50p tip.

so the punt i am going to should be £95 or £100 , funny she advertises at £120 ? :huh:

I had a haircut today, in preparation for a punt am going to . cost £9.50 and i gave him a 50p tip.

so the punt i am going to should be £95 or £100 , funny she advertises at £120 ? :huh:

I'm sure she'll reduce her price to £100 once you explain. :)

Rayjinbull

Group:

Members Posts:

334 Joined:

02-July 08 Posted Today, 20:18

Barry Cade, on 22 October 2010 - 20:04, said:

I do it myself - what does that make me ?

A Wanker?

Edited by Big Arty

Crikey,if that's the case I usually pay £15 quid a pop for a haircut... no bloody wonder I'm always skint :lol:

Was recently made aware of a publication by a travel writer who frequently indulged in paid for sex. An excerpt -

"Two things in life have proved to be invariably true - the price of an ounce of gold has always been the price of a good suit, more or less, going right back to Roman, Greek or Egyptian times, and the price of a good fuck is always ten times the price of a haircut. This truth is known as the Universal Copulation Constant or, if you happen to be an economist, the Shadow Price of Pussy.

Ten times the price of the same quality, of course. At one extreme you could be sitting in a plush reclining chair in a sumptuous, marble line establishment, soft music playing, sipping a coffee and having your hands manicured during the operation, and at the other extreme you could be sitting on the pavement in a sleazy backstreet. And the same goes for the haircut...."

Thank you Karin. I thought this is a brilliant piece of research.

Do you happen to have the name of the publication or the name of the travel writer ???/

Many thanks

How fortunate that this vital information has been kept secret until now, otherwise Ms. Harman and friends might have sought to introduce a haircut tax.

Thank you Karin. I thought this is a brilliant piece of research.

Do you happen to have the name of the publication or the name of the travel writer ???/

Many thanks

The name's Nick Storr writing under a pseudonym - here's a link, though showing as unavailable at the moment..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Price-Haircut-Will-Bogarde/dp/0754109607

The research can be attributed to my cousin; they got hold of a copy through the local library.

The name's Nick Storr writing under a pseudonym - here's a link, though showing as unavailable at the moment..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Price-Haircut-Will-Bogarde/dp/0754109607

The research can be attributed to my cousin; they got hold of a copy through the local library.

Thank you very much Karin .

I like Lovely looks with interest in research.

You have contributed to a Lively Discussion involving Punters from all over the Globe,and made one particular Punter Across the Atlantic very Happy .

The comparison of the price of a punt with the price of a haircut doesn't really take you too far. Both are services, performed by humans on other humans (mostly) whose core economics is simply cash in return for time. This is famously expressed amongst economists as Baumol's cost dictum - "you always need four musicians to perform a Beethoven String Quartet." Comparing the cost of a commodity such as gold to a suit, is more interesting, but of course gold is subject to market manipulation, speculation, and it's price is itself pegged, not to a suit, but to the price of a declining US $.

What would be more interesting is the price of a punt v. the cost of a popular commodity such as a Mars bar over time.

My average for a one hour punt is £140. With a Mars bar at around 37p today that's 378 mars bars. Hmmm. No wonder I feel sated after a punt...

The price of a mars bar in 1981 was 15p and in 1983 it was 17p. Sadly I was too busy in 1980 listening to the Buggles and Bananarama to punt

then but I am sure there are many more experienced punters with spreadsheets to the ready who can fill in the gaps in prices.

Then we can start asking for our Mars bars back....

Edited by derridian

The comparison of the price of a punt with the price of a haircut doesn't really take you too far. Both are services, performed by humans on other humans (mostly) whose core economics is simply cash in return for time. This is famously expressed amongst economists as Baumol's cost dictum - "you always need four musicians to perform a Beethoven String Quartet." Comparing the cost of a commodity such as gold to a suit, is more interesting, but of course gold is subject to market manipulation, speculation, and it's price is itself pegged, not to a suit, but to the price of a declining US $.

What would be more interesting is the price of a punt v. the cost of a popular commodity such as a Mars bar over time.

My average for a one hour punt is £140. With a Mars bar at around 37p today that's 378 mars bars. Hmmm. No wonder I feel sated after a punt...

The price of a mars bar in 1981 was 15p and in 1983 it was 17p. Sadly I was too busy in 1980 listening to the Buggles and Bananarama to punt

then but I am sure there are many more experienced punters with spreadsheets to the ready who can fill in the gaps in prices.

Then we can start asking for our Mars bars back....

A Mars Bar at 37p?

I tend to compare a visit more with entertainment such as the cost of going to a football match or the theatre. When I started it was around six to seven times as much, now around five times as much. Didn't have greedy footballers like Wayne Rooney to fund then, mind you.