cumandgo

Posting In Annonymity

19 posts in this topic

I dont know whether others ever feel the same way but I often get an urge to put up a profile which details and identifies me as the person who I am etc. I know this is not possible or at least in any way adviseable for a whole range of good reasons but I do find posting in annonymity often frustrating and indeed a little sort of, degrading. I have no interest in being able to say things behind the secrecy of my screen and whilst I might step over the line every now and again, broadly speaking my posting reflects the views I would voice in an open and transparent environment. The restriction of annonymity sometimes feels like a type of restriction on free speechif you get my drift. Do others enjoy the total annonymity to post or do some of you feel my pain ? :D

I wouldn't call it "pain", but I often have to mentally edit what I write on here to remove any little details that might just help someone who knows me work out who I am (e.g. "last night I was on a business trip to xxxxx"). I actually appreciate the anonymity this board offers, but find the necessary scrubbing of what I write a little tedious at times, even if the edits are very minor and infrequent.

Lots of lurkers read this forum.

I dont know whether others ever feel the same way but I often get an urge to put up a profile which details and identifies me as the person who I am etc.

The urge got the better of me.

I am Lou4fun

I wouldn't call it "pain", but I often have to mentally edit what I write on here to remove any little details that might just help someone who knows me work out who I am (e.g. "last night I was on a business trip to xxxxx"). I actually appreciate the anonymity this board offers, but find the necessary scrubbing of what I write a little tedious at times, even if the edits are very minor and infrequent.

Yes I appreciate it too for very obvious reasons but I suppose I think that each time I post,because I do so in annonymity,I feel like I leave something out important.Btw, I was deliberately going over the top using the word 'pain'. I am happy to assure you that whilst other issues do keep me awake at night,this is not one of them.! :D

Lurkers--- do you think that there are those who lurk in the hope of identifying a poster(s) ?

I dont know whether others ever feel the same way but I often get an urge to put up a profile which details and identifies me as the person who I am etc. I know this is not possible or at least in any way adviseable for a whole range of good reasons but I do find posting in annonymity often frustrating and indeed a little sort of, degrading. I have no interest in being able to say things behind the secrecy of my screen and whilst I might step over the line every now and again, broadly speaking my posting reflects the views I would voice in an open and transparent environment. The restriction of annonymity sometimes feels like a type of restriction on free speechif you get my drift. Do others enjoy the total annonymity to post or do some of you feel my pain ? :D

Some people love the fact they hide behind their nic as it allows them to bully, bait, troll and be a general knob. So your post is refreshing to hear, obviously we don't have that ability and I am more than aware that posting on here raises our company profile greatly amongst the punting community.

I am rambling now, I suppose what I mean is that people use the annonymity to to their own advantages when it suits but that is to be expected. We however sometimes have to refrain from posting our personal views for fear of damaging our companies reputations.

Agreed - you never know who might be watching on here... wink.gif

By definition though, due to societal mores and also if guys on here are already in relationships, anonymity is probably a given.

The urge got the better of me.

I am Lou4fun

Thank God for that. I thought you were going to say that you were Spartacus! :P

B

Edited by bacchus

Exactly my view. I'm not paranoid at all, but often when I post I find myself thinking, "Steady on, Bloom, you're dropping your guard there", and very occasionally I will leave out details.

I am quite certain that if a fair cross-section of my posts were shown to friends of mine in the non-punting world, they would have no trouble at all in identifying me.

Some people love the fact they hide behind their nic as it allows them to bully, bait, troll and be a general knob. So your post is refreshing to hear, obviously we don't have that ability and I am more than aware that posting on here raises our company profile greatly amongst the punting community.

I am rambling now, I suppose what I mean is that people use the annonymity to to their own advantages when it suits but that is to be expected.

We however sometimes have to refrain from posting our personal views for fear of damaging our companies reputations.

So who's view are you posting :unsure:

(nice to see you got your own nic BTW)

Thank God for that. I thought you were going to say that you were Spartacus! :P

B

That was pre op :rolleyes:

I am rambling now, I suppose what I mean is that people use the annonymity to to their own advantages when it suits but that is to be expected. We however sometimes have to refrain from posting our personal views for fear of damaging our companies reputations.

Thank you Mr.D.

Yes, I can see how you feel constrained in giving your views due to potential conflict with your business interests. That would really piss me off,as I find it difficult to act the politician much of the time and like to speak my mind within reason. Now and again you do let your guard down and Mrs.D used to let off steam which was great but I fear she has been muzzled now ! :D Yep, beeesnesss is beeesnesss !

Exactly my view. I'm not paranoid at all, but often when I post I find myself thinking, "Steady on, Bloom, you're dropping your guard there", and very occasionally I will leave out details.

I am quite certain that if a fair cross-section of my posts were shown to friends of mine in the non-punting world, they would have no trouble at all in identifying me.

Yes and its sometimes those little details that can give buzz/life to the story you want to tell or the opinion to give.Without that little bit of detail,I feel sometimes a post can be somewhat bland when if all detail was included it might be very different!

Yes and its sometimes those little details that can give buzz/life to the story you want to tell or the opinion to give.Without that little bit of detail,I feel sometimes a post can be somewhat bland when if all detail was included it might be very different!

Ah, now I understand where you were coming from in your OP C&G. I'm not sure I empathise too much though. My privacy is much more important to me than adding buzz to a story. In much the same way as I hardly ever feel tempted to talk about my secret hobby to my friends, I am never tempted to out myself on a punting forum LOL. I guess it's something we all learn to live with and some excel at it as many of the raconteurs on here have got some great ways of getting a story across without giving all of the details. Some of the FRs here are priceless.

Along the same lines, I have the impression that the vast majority of people who do FR's use a different name from the one they use on the forums. I decided to be "honourable" and use the same name; will I live to regret it :unsure: ?

It doesn't really worry me, most of my friends and family know of my interests and hobbies, I'm not going to put my address and post code on here, but a few people have had mails from my business email account. You know who you are!

Along the same lines, I have the impression that the vast majority of people who do FR's use a different name from the one they use on the forums. I decided to be "honourable" and use the same name; will I live to regret it :unsure: ?

I'm the same and use the same username for FRs, the forum and on the other site.

I'm not so sure that it is the vast majority, but I did opt to use a separate FR identity. However, the ladies who have received FRs from me know both my FR id, and my board id, so from my pov there is nothing dishonourable.

I'm lucky in that for many years I've been a member of an unrelated forum in which personal security and anonymity are sacred and it's a serious situation if someone on there 'outs' another member

There are a few people on this board who know me, my real name, phone number and all that good stuff but it is a very few.

I like the aspect of anonymity when discussing things with other people who are themselves complete strangers to me but I can let my guard down when talking to people who know me by my username

P.S. I don't think it ever even crossed my mind to set up a seperate username for writing FRs

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not watching me!

Edited by Lord Melchett

There are a few people on this board who know me, my real name

So you are not really a 'Lord' then??......and here was me thinking everytime I posted on here I was mixing with the aristocracy.

So you are not really a 'Lord' then??......and here was me thinking everytime I posted on here I was mixing with the aristocracy.

I'm afraid I've been rather overlooked for a peerage lately, but I'm sure that Queen Lizzy (Gawd bless 'er) will rectify this sooner or later.

I'm just a Blackadder fan but not enough of a Walt to try to pass myself off as a General