Wireless Telegraphist

A Special Cemetery For Working Girls.

10 posts in this topic

The BBC has an audio slideshow about an ancient cemetery in London, placed in unconsecrated ground, for society's outcasts. Among these were "single women" -- an old-time euphemism for working girls. Nowadays people meet at regular intervals to leave tributes to anyone who they think died a social outcast; this includes working girls murdered on the job.

The guy who initiated the modern-day observances is clearly a bit of an oddball himself -- sings old English folk songs at the gatherings, and says he was led there by the spirit of WG -- but look past that and notice just how many tributes have been left... dozens of them. I think a lot of people know a lot of WGs who didn't make it.

Click here to see the BBC slide show.

The BBC has an audio slideshow about an ancient cemetery in London, placed in unconsecrated ground, for society's outcasts. Among these were "single women" -- an old-time euphemism for working girls. Nowadays people meet at regular intervals to leave tributes to anyone who they think died a social outcast; this includes working girls murdered on the job.

The guy who initiated the modern-day observances is clearly a bit of an oddball himself -- sings old English folk songs at the gatherings, and says he was led there by the spirit of WG -- but look past that and notice just how many tributes have been left... dozens of them. I think a lot of people know a lot of WGs who didn't make it.

Click here to see the BBC slide show.

Unusually sympathetic for the mainstream media!

If you can, you ought to go and look, see, and feel, (I was taken there first by a WG in the course of an incredible four hour night-time exploration of odd bits of the city)

and then,

find Crossbones' web site, and sign up to the petition to protect it as hallowed ground, and stop the Underground destroying it.

really interesting, thanks for the link and comment

the guy can't sing for shit mind.

Good sentiment though....

He's a crap singer but his hearts in the right place

He's a crap singer but his hearts in the right place

Agreed, he's obviously a bit mental if he thinks his voice is worth sharing with the world, but good on him for raising this issue.

Yes but how many would actually sign the petition, i did, you can keep your name anonymous if you wish.xx

Yes but how many would actually sign the petition, i did, you can keep your name anonymous if you wish.xx

You can "sign" anonymously, indeed, but why? Not wanting a small, significant and rather sad, bit of London's history and heritage to be wiped off the map doesn't say "I go with whores!" or "I, too, am a Winchester goose!" as appropriate!

There was a TV (?Timeline or summat?) programme on the skeleton of one lady, taken from Cross-Bones, who was 95% identified. Died at about 25 with syphilis, if I remember rightly.

I've posted about this before (although the thread got zapped with the move to the new forum software).

The graveyard is just around the corner from London Bridge station (Redcross Way is off Union St going towards Southwark tube station).

I've been visiting it for several years now, always taking the effort to go there. It's always a moving experience, especially given the fact that it would be just another anonymous potential building site if it wasn't for the numerous tributes on the gates.

It's ironic that whilst the Bishop of Winchester effectively controlled prostitutes working the stews, the same church he represented denied them a Christian burial.

More here:

http://www.crossbones.org.uk/

There's videos on YouTube too.

(Incidentally, the Boot and Flogger pub which is directly opposite the graveyard is worth a look too... something out of Dickens.)

B

I've posted about this before (although the thread got zapped with the move to the new forum software).

The graveyard is just around the corner from London Bridge station (Redcross Way is off Union St going towards Southwark tube station).

I've been visiting it for several years now, always taking the effort to go there. It's always a moving experience, especially given the fact that it would be just another anonymous potential building site if it wasn't for the numerous tributes on the gates.

It's ironic that whilst the Bishop of Winchester effectively controlled prostitutes working the stews, the same church he represented denied them a Christian burial.

More here:

http://www.crossbones.org.uk/

There's videos on YouTube too.

(Incidentally, the Boot and Flogger pub which is directly opposite the graveyard is worth a look too... something out of Dickens.)

B

......... and supposedly the only bar in the country not to require an alcohol license because of a special dispensation from James I in 1611!

I first came across the Crossbones Graveyard last year through Rachel Howard and Bill Nash’s book Secret London – an Unusual Guide (which I commend to anyone interested in lurking about in some of the seedier places of the city), but you’d be hard put to realise what lurks there. The video

includes contributions from Vee – a redheaded sex worker – and James Manning of the Sex Workers’ Union.