JKay

Connection Speeds, When Is Broadband Not Broadband?

10 posts in this topic

I'm with Orange, it comes free with my mobile contract and I like it a lot, not too keen on the Delhi help centre...anyhow my BT line will support 7.2mb, during the day I get 6mb, it goes up and down a little but its fairly constant but the last few week say around 4pm it slows dow, way way down, at 6pm today I was getting 0.37mb surely thats rubbish and can not be "Broadband", The service Orange advertis as being "up to 20mb" and as the BT line is rated at 7.2mb why is it dropping off so much? I'm only 1.25 miles from the exchange and that I know household along my street are getting 6mb plus from BT and taltalk so why in the evening has it suddenly gone crap?

Have I got a case of it sounds like a Broadband, but its not?

Its making surfing bloody hard work. anyone else on Orange?

It does sound like Orange just isn't providing enough bandwidth, so everything just slows down at peak periods. Now the reason why people nearby are still getting a decent rate could be that Orange has unbundled you from BT at the Exchange (check http://www.samknows.com to find out) so from your Exchange onwards you are running solely on Oranges infrastructure and BT isn't involved at all.

im with orange and have been for years. was originally freeserve, then wanadoo. now orange. no issues but then i can see the exchange out of my back door.

I'm also with orange and noticed speeds slowed down to a crawl recently. Seems ok this evening. Wonder whether this thread encouraged them to sort themselves out

Edited by Confuscius

I am with BT Broadband and have been having lots of slow connections past few months. Anyway, I am thinking of switching to Tesco Broadband (as it is cheaper). Does anyone else use Tesco? Any advice on who is the best broadband provider?

I'm also with orange and noticed speeds slowed down to a crawl recently. Seems ok this evening. Wonder whether this thread encouraged them to sort themselves out

Same here its a contention issue you will find more info on http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

They go through these phases and we are due a major issue with them i mean it has been a while since they had a major outage or something like that.

I'm not on Orange (use Virgin cable broadband) but have read recently that Orange have had a lot of performance issues and admitted that their infrastructure is quite old. Earlier this year they outsourced the management of their broadband network to BT so perhaps your drop in speeds may be something to do with changes BT have made???

In any case, have you called Orange customer services to check if you have a technical issue?

im with blackberry and all too often the 3g keeps going to gprs too much!

im with blackberry and all too often the 3g keeps going to gprs too much!

You're not 'with' BlackBerry although technically I think the BlackBerry messaging service uses RIM's network...

It's like saying you have an iPhone and are with Apple... if you have problems, it's probably to do with O2, Vodafone or whoever you are using.