Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GlasgowGirl

Legality Of A Maid?

12 posts in this topic

Hey.

I'm curious about something - if any of the legal eagles on here could assist I'd be very happy. :)

If in a flat / business premises, there is only one prostitute working , but she has a maid (who does not provide sexual services at all or even take the money, just for safety and cleaning) - is this legal? In Scotland?

Does it change matters if the maid answers the phone?

xxx

Hey.

I'm curious about something - if any of the legal eagles on here could assist I'd be very happy. :)

If in a flat / business premises, there is only one prostitute working , but she has a maid (who does not provide sexual services at all or even take the money, just for safety and cleaning) - is this legal? In Scotland?

Does it change matters if the maid answers the phone?

xxx

If she's not offering any sexual services then the premises cannot be treated as a brothel.

If she's there purely for safety and cleaning then there's no likelihood of her being convicted of controlling prostitution for gain (section 53 SOA2003).

It starts to get a little greyer if she discusses prices or services with the customers.

Assuming that you're in Glasgow the danger is that the authorities assume that you are running a brothel because there's more than one woman present. The police may therefore take more interest than if you were a single woman working by yourself. I am aware from other posts that the police are targeting flats in Glasgow.

Im not sure if your asking about someone answering your phones as an independent or if your actually asking if its ok for someone to maid a brothel if there is only one girl?

If a place can be clasified as a brothel then the "maid" can be prosecuted for assisting in the management of a brothel. It is happening more and more although the police also tend to be personally selective with no logic about who they do and dont prosecute. One maid could be prosecuted and another from the same premesis not prosecuted... I suspect although no one can be sure with the police depending on how helpfull they are in giving evidence to help support the prosecutions case.

No point trying to second guess the police, realise they are always right and you are always wrong, avoid them like the plague, never trust them and do everything humanly possible to stay out of thier way.

Thanks guys x

It would just be for safety and cleaning really, but I do see what you mean about if the police did turn up they would assume it is a brothel considering there would be 2 women there. And a man I would assume they would think he was the pimp? <_<

These laws are insane. I'm really hoping something is done soon x

If she's not offering any sexual services then the premises cannot be treated as a brothel.

If she's there purely for safety and cleaning then there's no likelihood of her being convicted of controlling prostitution for gain (section 53 SOA2003).

It starts to get a little greyer if she discusses prices or services with the customers.

Assuming that you're in Glasgow the danger is that the authorities assume that you are running a brothel because there's more than one woman present. The police may therefore take more interest than if you were a single woman working by yourself. I am aware from other posts that the police are targeting flats in Glasgow.

Alas, it isn't quite that simple in Scotland! SOA2003, s53 applies in England and Wales, and also in Northern Ireland, but not in Scotland! (SOA2003 s.142(3)) CPS in England and Wales are not without fault, but they do publish (much of) their in-house guidance on the web, whereas, so far as I know the Crown Office in Scotland refrains from issueing its "Book of Instructions" (as it was called when I was provided with a copy some twenty years ago).

I think that most of the law of lust and depravity in Scotland is still common law. That said, I would, in general, agree with Silverado's opinion here.

When asking about "the legality of the maid" you do need to work out what your question means! If you want to know whether the maid can be prosecuted for maiding, then I think that the answer varies depending on how much of her work is simply cleaning and making the tea, and how much involves answering the telephone, describing the delights that await the punter for how much, and, even, sometimes, taking the cash!

If your query is as to whether you (or she) can be done for running a brothel, then we have to jump the common law definition of a brothel first, and then, if that is proven, which of you is the "top dog"!

I think that the common law system is what allows different Fiscals to approach the sex industry from completely different angles - whether the current Glaswegian crack-down comes from the Polis, or the Fiscal, I don't know - does anyone? It rather looks, from my perch way up the A9 as if it is the Polis who are raiding, cracking their knuckles and being heavy, confident that no wee hooor is going to have the wits and savvy to say "See you in Court, Son!"

...and then,

Yesterday, as it happens, I visited "Surrey Independant Angels" in Woking, by prior appointment, and, althouth not relevant to this posting, yes, thank-you, I enjoyed my visit - see FR, when it is approved!

Two girls in the flat, so, yes it is a brothel, although neither of the ladies there on any particular day is "managing", but the telephone is not answered in the flat - I asked where it was answered, and the lady I was with said that she didn't know; she assumed it was a girl sitting in her own front room somewhere in southern england, probably a different one each day, and, perhaps with calls diverted from the advertised number to her work mobile. She, probably, is "assisting in the management" but catching her will be quite difficult, I'd think.

There is no "maid" as such, but there is a cleaner, who comes in in the morning to open up, change the beds and check the towels, hoover, and goes before business starts - I don't think that she is liable to be charged, but with Woking nick on the other side of the road, who knows!

I do feel that the 'crackdowns' in Aberdeen and Glasgow are down to the PC Brigade and the feminist brigade pushing to have 'something' done. There's a thread else where, where its mentioned about police running folk out of town in Aberdeen. But in reality, they are simply finding out who's around, and where they can, moving people along. There's no 'purge' going on. Don't forget, in Glasgow, there are male 'feminists' (the Glasgow council ones) that want the industry ended. The police need to be 'seen' to be doing 'something'.

As far as I'm aware (and I've no experience of flats), if you employ the maid, and she provides no sexual services), then it should be legal. But why not check with a solicitor or law centre to be sure?

Thanks all :)

I was mainly thinking for security purposes.

Not for answering phones etc.

Although with all the raids going on just now I was wondering how I would prove, if there were 2 of us on the premises, that only 1 of us (me) was working?

I have asked a local sex-worker project but they are into abolition etc and they kept going on about "living off immoral earnings" Wasn't that charge got rid of years ago?

I might go to a law centre or my lawyer and ask if they can find out for me.

xxx

Although with all the raids going on just now I was wondering how I would prove, if there were 2 of us on the premises, that only 1 of us (me) was working?

Ah! Never forget that in Scotland (and in England too) the game of justice is not equal! If (unlike me) you were educated at Eton, you will remember the Wall Game, where the two sides do not (I think) have the same number of players, and the pitch is not symetrical? Our justice is like that, often in favour of "them", but sometimes in favour of "us". It is not, never, for you to prove that your maid was not servicing the punters - it is for the Fiscal to prove, with corroborated, credible, evidence that she was, if he is trying that one! So draw the curtains, to stop the boy on the other side of the drying green, with binoculars, looking in, and trust that they won't be able to find a punter willing to show his face in the witness box to say that the maid said that you were busy, but, she would be happy to.....

I have asked a local sex-worker project but they are into abolition etc and they kept going on about "living off immoral earnings" Wasn't that charge got rid of years ago?

Yes, it was, but Hattie's troops aren't that bright!

I might go to a law centre or my lawyer and ask if they can find out for me.

Honestly, "my lawyer" even if he expects to be paid for his work (You'll give me a free session, won't you, of course?) is your best source of legal advice specific to your circumstances, and, unlike retired me, he (she?) has professional indemnity insurance to pay out if he lets you down!

It rather looks, from my perch way up the A9 as if it is the Polis who are raiding, cracking their knuckles and being heavy, confident that no wee hooor is going to have the wits and savvy to say "See you in Court, Son!"

You think ? ;)

I thought you knew me better than that, ( and I'm not "wee" either ). :D

Besides, there are a number of legal eagles who contribute here who would provide assistance and support, of

that I'm sure.

You think ? ;)

I thought you knew me better than that, ( and I'm not "wee" either ). :D

Besides, there are a number of legal eagles who contribute here who would provide assistance and support, of

that I'm sure.

Laura,

I do most certainly know you (a lot) better than that! It was to the Polis that I attributed the view with which you take exception! I adhere to that view, else why should they be raiding flats, without corroborated evidence as to them being brothels?

Laura,

I do most certainly know you (a lot) better than that! It was to the Polis that I attributed the view with which you take exception! I adhere to that view, else why should they be raiding flats, without corroborated evidence as to them being brothels?

I know. :) xx

It's bullying tactics pure and simple and as you say a reliance on no-one challenging their action.

I'm afraid to say it appears to be having the desired effect in Glasgow, paranoia is rife and most of the ladies

are hitting the tour trail. :(