Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Confuscius

Legality of pressure groups photographing punters leaving parlours

15 posts in this topic

Another thread which mentions the photgraphing of punters leaving parlours has made me think. Anyone who uses such establishments can find themselves a potential target.

1) Are there any laws preventing these groups from committing such acts?

2) What redress does the punter have?

Another thread which mentions the photgraphing of punters leaving parlours has made me think. Anyone who uses such establishments can find themselves a potential target.

1) Are there any laws preventing these groups from committing such acts?

2) What redress does the punter have?

Well given the furore over google street view and their removal of pictures on request and the automated attempts at blurring faces the legal situation is fairly obvious. What redress you have depends where the site is hosted and whether you can identify the people doing the photography

Photographers need permission to take photos while on private property otherwise the commit trespass. They are allowed to take photos of private property while on public property but cannot take photos of people on private property from public property without permission, because people have a reasonable expectation of privacy and failure to respect this is probably conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.

It is illegal under the Data Protection Act to hold, process or publish personal data about somebody or their activities.

The Blogger website appears to breach the Blogger terms of service.

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: We do not allow the unauthorised publishing of people's private and confidential information, such as credit card numbers, Social Security Numbers and driving and other licence numbers.

Photographers need permission to take photos while on private property otherwise the commit trespass. They are allowed to take photos of private property while on public property but cannot take photos of people on private property from public property without permission, because people have a reasonable expectation of privacy and failure to respect this is probably conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.

It is illegal under the Data Protection Act to hold, process or publish personal data about somebody or their activities.

The Blogger website appears to breach the Blogger terms of service.

the law in Spain might not be identical but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MADRID - Posting videos on internet site YouTube for the whole world to see is free. But, as a group of irate residents of Madrid's red light district recently found out, uploading amateur footage without the consent of the people depicted can end up costing dear.

In a landmark decision, the Spanish Data Protection Agency (AEPD) has fined an association representing residents of Madrid's Montera street EUR 601 for distributing 22 videos showing prostitutes and clients on the street.

In 20 of the videos, the faces of the people have been distorted to hide their identities, but in two others clients and prostitutes are clearly identifiable in what the AEPD has described as a serious violation of the Data Protection Law

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/local_news/YouTube-footage-lands-fine-for-Madrid-filmmakers.html

UK Data Protection Act 1998

Policy on use of Images

Introduction

The Data Protection Act 1998 not only governs the way in which we process information about people but also the way we handle images of people. These notes have been produced to help you ensure that we comply with the law when images of clearly identifiable people are being used. These images may appear in any or all of the following formats:

apart from that, there is a big risk of getting your nose broken.....

This is a desperate attempt by those anti-sexual freedom groups which can consist of religious fundamentalists and feminist fundamentalists. What they are doing to disguise this agenda is by putting on websites that the girls these men are seeing are either forced into it or underage.

Basically they are using the things that people who are prosexual freedom are against which is people in the sex industry who are underage, forced into it, have problems etc but mixing it with what people who are pro-sexual freedom support which is of course people who are the legal age, in the industry at their own free will and people who don't have any problems.

We want the good and the bad of the sex industry to be seperated at all times and make sure that the bad side of it will get wiped out, they on the other hand wants to combine the good and bad side of the industry and make sure that it all gets wiped out.

They simply want to make the entire industry look bad which is similar to groups who want violent video games banned cause a very small number of people copy off them.

Maybe we should copy their tactics which for example in the case of the religious groups that is against sexual freedom maybe someone could film these help groups that they run and show them take advantage of vulnerable people and expose their true colours.

An interesting discussion, in todays society when issues over picture taking and privicy is some high in the agenda. Recently I was in Cyprus visitng my brother and his family and took photos as you do, despite the innocent nature of the photos and the reasons why I took them i was always concious of people looking over there shoulder at me.

Whilst online recently I looked at a professional site selling photographs of ancient folk customs - low and behold there I was dressed up in a costume performing as I have done for the last 15 years! They had not got my permission for the photos etc. I would not mind some royalities!

I dare say that this issue will continue, the motivation of the photographers need to be considered as well as the storage of the photos etc. I personnally feel that it is in infrindgement of my rights as an individual, wonder if they took a photo of the electricity man as he read the meter!

Kev

Surely the solution would be to photograph the pressure photographers, and put the pic up on the internet somewhere. Obviously you'd photoshop the pic to show them doing something naughty ...

While what you say is correct, the real question is that at the point the person leaves the private property (parlour) and steps on the public pavement, then he is fair game for photos - even if he still has his hand on the door handle of the parlour.

However, under Human Rights Law, an individual has a right to a private life, and what is being done by these photo-vigilantes could be viewed as an intrusion, and violation of HR law, and leave themselves open for legal actions if published.

An example of the sticky ground they are on is if say a computer repair man (or other similar repair man) visits the parlour to repair the PC or whatever, purely in the course of his normal business, and the vigilante takes a photo of him coming out and claims he was visiting the parlour for sex. The vigilante and website owner could end up being sued for libel - because the claim in the photo is incorrect - and they assume that anyone going in is visiting for sex. Not necessarily so.

Even though I dont frequent parlours as I dont like production line sex, I wish these effing eejits would sod off and die.

UK Data Protection Act 1998

Policy on use of Images

Introduction

The Data Protection Act 1998 not only governs the way in which we process information about people but also the way we handle images of people. These notes have been produced to help you ensure that we comply with the law when images of clearly identifiable people are being used. These images may appear in any or all of the following formats:

a private individual, emerging from a business having completed their VAT return?

I love it when you talk dirty Jolyon.

I love it when you talk dirty Jolyon.

Perhaps it should be given an official title...... " V.A.T. Return to completion " :)

Perhaps it should be given an official title...... " V.A.T. Return to completion " :)

Excellent :D

So, how about they get caught loitering outside establishments?Harassment charges or even in fact photos of themselves hanging around to be posted on the net.

They may think twice then.