elrond

Alan Johnson - new home secretary

13 posts in this topic

Anyone know his position on our thing?

Is he likely to push the legislation through or quietly put it in the round file.

Anyone know his position on our thing?

Is he likely to push the legislation through or quietly put it in the round file.

Dont worry about it, he wont be around long enough to get a name badge done!

Johnson is my MP and he strikes me as a career minded pragmatist. I don't think he will do anything to scupper his chances of becoming Leader/PM. He will water down any controversial aspects. Jackie smith has already been forced to neuter it as far as we are concerned and it's other major supporter Hazel Blears has also (been forced to) quit the cabinet.

Alan Johnson voting record.

seems to me to be old labour. Dunno if that is good or bad for labour....

A former Post Office Union leader becoming Home Secretary just as Labour moves to privatise the Post Office--- a move that his former union loathes. This might be interesting.

Johnson...strikes me as a career minded pragmatist.

That's my impression, too. He will probably want to steer clear of anything too controversial, especially given the extremely fragile state of the government now.

LOL! :D

Never a truer word :D

There doesn't have to be a General Election until June 4th 2010 - plenty of time to get the legislation through, not least as it's already on it's Third Reading.

There doesn't have to be a General Election until June 4th 2010 - plenty of time to get the legislation through, not least as it's already on it's Third Reading.

Just done the second reading in the Lords, and will be in the Lords Committee on the 22nd. There will be lots of amendments, and not just on the prostitution side of the bill. It will take quite a while to get through.

I imagine before I drop off the twig the only legal sex will be with the wife... well as long as:-

1/ I get a signed consent form beforehand.

2/ Missionary position only.

3/ Two solicitors are present. One to give evidence in court that the fair lady didn't change her mind since signing the form 5 mins ago. The second to attest that I didn't bribe the first.

Even then it will be at my own risk, and I will be liable to at least 5 years in jail if the wife subsequently says she didn't enjoy it.

That's why i intend to punt a lot this year. Before its too late.

That's why i intend to punt a lot this year. Before its too late.

Sounds like a plan!