Williams

what's your average pc's lifespan?

41 posts in this topic

This area of the mb is one I rarely visit, but as I'm here another question.

My pc is 5 to 6 years old. Its a Vaio with all the workings tucked away behind the screen. I'm quite happy to trade performance for a tidy design.

How long do you think an average pc's components function for? If it helps I'd guess I use the pc for between 15 to 20 hours/week.

My pc is 5 to 6 years old. Its a Vaio with all the workings tucked away behind the screen. I'm quite happy to trade performance for a tidy design.

How long do you think an average pc's components function for? If it helps I'd guess I use the pc for between 15 to 20 hours/week.

Ive had 6 in 6 years. One covered in dust during a refurbishment of the room its normlly in - that killed that one. One went bang. One just grew old and faded away, One laptop covered in coffee, one stood on. and one here in front of me healthy and well.

I do have a desktop upstairs in the bedroom just for emails and acting as a music/video server.

After my first laptop I wondered why many people ever buy desktops.

Anyway I'd expect around 18 months 2 years however many hours a day

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

'Computers' are where cars were in the 1960s/70s - highly desirable, but not fully developed.

Wait!

How long is a piece of string?

5 to 6 years is very good I think. The only reason to change would be to upgrade to faster model with more storage and so on. I always buy what was 'in' a few months ago, still quick, but affordable.

Good luck!

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

'Computers' are where cars were in the 1960s/70s - highly desirable, but not fully developed.

Wait!

Cars are now 'fully developed' to the point that we need special tools to fix them, have parts that are sealed and not repairable and special diagnostic equipment to find out what is wrong with them in the first place. :D

Isn't that an ECU (computer) behind the glovebox that causes half the cars problems? ;)

Where's my Cortina?

The average lifespan of a desktop is supposed to be something like 3-5 years. But it depends on variables like whether you overclock it and so on.

Many run for lost longer than that.

I've got one desktop and two laptops.

The desktop is 8 years old and still going strong. I've added extra memory, and it has 2 hard drives, oh and the start button and fan have been replaced, as has the power supply. I'll just keep replacing parts and upgrading it as and when needed. I don't see any point in throwing it away when it can be repaired.

One laptop is 3 years old and I added extra memory to that too. I spilt a drink on the keyboard last year, but managed to clean it up and get it working again (apart from one key).

My other laptop is only a few months old. I haven't had to make any modifications to it yet.

Up until recently, I still had my old 286 and 486 from the late 80's/early 90's. The both still worked, although the 286 didn't have windows installed.

Until recently I had a Time pc which was 9 years old. It still worked, if somewhat noisily but the Windows ME which wasn't good to start with was getting difficult to live with. I replaced it with a Dell which cost me no more than the Time did originally and I couldn't believe the difference. Fast and quiet. Money well spent.

I've got one desktop and two laptops.

The desktop is 8 years old and still going strong. I've added extra memory, and it has 2 hard drives, oh and the start button and fan have been replaced, as has the power supply. I'll just keep replacing parts and upgrading it as and when needed. I don't see any point in throwing it away when it can be repaired.

Up until recently, I still had my old 286 and 486 from the late 80's/early 90's. The both still worked, although the 286 didn't have windows installed.

I take my hat off too you(a gentlemen always takes his hat off !) using a 486 up until recently.Ive 3 old PCs,the oldest,I got new in 2000,still running Win 98 AND using on dialup ! Has anyone noticed,that this website,works fine on dialup (assuming anyone out there is still "dialing up")its the regular mainstream sites,which require broadband,so much stuff loaded on them.Ofcourse,"the other site",is much more of a strain on an oldPC/dialup....all those pics of ladies with no clothes on.........:eek:

Reminds me of our Office Cleaner who retired after 40 years and when he was presented with his Clock he was asked to say a few words........

He said "I would like to take my trusty broom with me that has served me faithfully for all of the 40 years I have been with the firm. This is the very same broom that was given to me the day I started. It has had 25 new handles and 27 new heads in that time but apart from that it is the same broom!"

Ive had 6 in 6 years. One covered in dust during a refurbishment of the room its normlly in - that killed that one. One went bang. One just grew old and faded away, One laptop covered in coffee, one stood on. and one here in front of me healthy and well.

I do have a desktop upstairs in the bedroom just for emails and acting as a music/video server.

Anyway I'd expect around 18 months 2 years however many hours a day[/quote

well 5 in 6 years may have something to do with it ! i got 5 years out of my last pc and it was 2rd hand when i got it !

also dont you get more bang for your money with a pc ? and as i only need it at home that works for me.

remember computers run slow as more and more crap gets loaded on them

it is always worth saving your important files, and formatting the hard disk and instaling it all again from acratch. Without all the baggage you may find it runs a lot better!

I take my hat off too you(a gentlemen always takes his hat off !) using a 486 up until recently.Ive 3 old PCs,the oldest,I got new in 2000,still running Win 98 AND using on dialup ! Has anyone noticed,that this website,works fine on dialup (assuming anyone out there is still "dialing up")its the regular mainstream sites,which require broadband,so much stuff loaded on them.Ofcourse,"the other site",is much more of a strain on an oldPC/dialup....all those pics of ladies with no clothes on.........:rolleyes:

Well I've still got one of these babies up and running. Works a dream! :eek:

Hmmmmm --- very interesting, I have never owned a laptop and doubt I ever will, what is so great about them, with a desktop you can have a far larger screen.:eek::confused:

Don't anyone buy a new computer just yet, a new operating system will be released shortly to replace Vista.

I can see the benefits to both desktops and laptops.

With a laptop I can (easily) sit in the garden, but my desktop has a much nicer (larger) screen to use for long periods of time or watching stuff on the iPlayer, etc.

I switched to an iMac desktop about err...18-24 months ago I think, partly because I didn't much like Vista and wanted to distance myself from my job (working in Windows IT support). I then got fired so it didn't matter, but turns out I much prefer my Mac.

Fans of stuff "hidden behind the screen" will certainly enjoy an iMac.

Also, it started up in around 35-40 seconds the day I bought it. With no maintenance whatsoever, it still starts in the same time today (and runs the same speed during use).

It's only got 1gb of ram (think average Windows pc comes with 3-4gb now), and yet seems perfectly adequate for photo, sound and video editing.

It'd be rubbish if I wanted to play games, but I'm not much of a gamer - that sorta thing is much better on consoles IMO.

The only downside really is that they are quite expensive (though probably not much more than an all-in-one Vaio).

In answer to the OP though, average lifespan of electronics is however long you want it, or however long it lasts before it's more expensive to fix than replace. If it still does what you want and you're happy with it - there's no particular reason you have to upgrade or replace.

Well I've still got one of these babies up and running. Works a dream! :eek:

Funnily enough,Clive Sinclair was on the telly last nite (BBC 4)......In my youth,I used to help make one of his Stereo Amplifiers,it always used to remind me of the Monolith in the film 2001....................though gawd knows what any of this has todo with sex....................

Hmmmmm --- very interesting, I have never owned a laptop and doubt I ever will, what is so great about them, with a desktop you can have a far larger screen.:eek::confused:

Don't anyone buy a new computer just yet, a new operating system will be released shortly to replace Vista.

You can have a large screen for home use with a laptop, in fact in that mode you can have two screens open at the same time. Seemples.

Appolo12, not everything is about sex you know :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can have a large screen for home use with a laptop, in fact in that mode you can have two screens open at the same time. Seemples.

Appolo12, not everything is about sex you know :mad::D

Not that I'm an expert ofcourse !! Incidently,thanks for making me a "fully paid up" member,just "qualified" before the big rush,"thanks" to HH ofcourse.

I too have a 386 running a DOS program that does the accounts perfectly well for my business. It would cost me several thousand pounds to buy a new pc with new software to replace it, then I would have major problems transferring the data. This 386 is well over 20 yeras old and still does the job that I want it to do.

Having said all that I have a wired and wireless networks at home with a variety of pcs and laptops ranging from 1 to 5 years old. Data is stored on network drives and the pcs and laptops are regularly cleaned up, checked for adware, viruses. trojans etc and defragged. Its my view that if looked after, most electronic devices can last for ever (unless they break in the first few weeks of their life).

I usually buy a new computer on a whim or because I can get a good deal !!

Well I've still got one of these babies up and running. Works a dream! :mad:

I run my motorcycle parts business on Acorn RISC PC's . . . . .

I run my motorcycle parts business on Acorn RISC PC's . . . . .

While playing Chucky Egg huh?

Hmmmmm --- very interesting, I have never owned a laptop and doubt I ever will, what is so great about them, with a desktop you can have a far larger screen.:mad::confused:

For one they are much more discreet. I don't have a corner dedicated to computery I have a nice potted plant on a nice Cupboard I can stash all my technology into and still have a stylish living room with no screen keyboard great huge computer cabinet or spagettii wiring flopping about.

I can also more easily move it to a secure location when I go on Holiday whatever, and know my sensitive information and browsing habits are secure.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Another Mac fan here. I have a LAN running a combination of Ubuntu and OSX across a mixture of desktops, iMacs and laptops. And two iPhones, the oldest of which I unlocked and now use it as a PAYG punting phone. :mad:

Sadly it's Windoze at work, eeew!

My laptop is a 6 year old Acer Travelmate which I'm upgrading at the moment (2G of RAM and also an SSD). My desktop was originally bought three years ago but has virtually had every component replaced including the PSU.

Most computer components have a long lifespan, probably 5 years or so depending on how well treated they are (and also how cool they are kept).

My desktop's cpu and graphics card are both overclocked, which does reduce the lifespan, but it's highly likely I'll replace the components before they go pop.

For one they are much more discreet. I don't have a corner dedicated to computery I have a nice potted plant on a nice Cupboard I can stash all my technology into and still have a stylish living room with no screen keyboard great huge computer cabinet or spagettii wiring flopping about.

You sound like my sister. You're not are you? (No, of course you're not)

I don't understand why people so badly want to hide computers away.

A modern flat screen monitor surely looks as nice as a modern flat screen tv? We don't hide those in cupboards.

I knew someone a couple of years ago who had a wireless router. It was made by Orange I think, and designed to look like a book. I thought it looked quite cool, but when helping my friend set it up, they asked if I could hide it behind an oversized plant pot :mad: