wanderlust

Condoms Ok For Prostitutes- Pope

19 posts in this topic

I doubt this makes any difference to anyone here, but still, it's a moment of sense in the folly of religious dogma....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11804398

Not so sure about the implication that they're wrong for everyone except prostitutes mind. That may go down badly...

I doubt this makes any difference to anyone here, but still, it's a moment of sense in the folly of religious dogma....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11804398

Not so sure about the implication that they're wrong for everyone except prostitutes mind. That may go down badly...

Noticed the same myself. Surely it's only a matter of time now before the Borgias are once again amongst the populace of The Vatican!

In certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection, it can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality," he said.
Perhaps you could give examples of situations in which you're not looking to reduce the risk of infection?
The Pope gives the example of the use of condoms by prostitutes as "a first step towards moralisation", even though condoms are "not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection."
I should love to know what 'really' is the way to deal with the HIV infection, then...
The pope says that the "sheer fixation on the condom implies a banalisation of sexuality" where sexuality is no longer an expression of love, "but only a sort of drug that people administer to themselves".
I've heard it all now. I don't think it's banal to view the genitals as quite important in sex and sexuality, I think it is inevitable. Also, sexuality isn't an expression of love, it's an expression of procreation.

I've heard it all now.

No, Wakeup, you haven't. The quote in the Telegraph is stranger still:

"There may be justified individual cases, for example when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be...a first bit of responsibility, to redevelop the understanding that not everything is permitted and that one may not do everything one wishes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/the-pope/8148944/The-Pope-drops-Catholic-ban-on-condoms-in-historic-shift.html

Is the Pope condoning condoms only in gay sex because it is clear that they are being used to prevent infection, not as contraception? If so, is he tacitly condoning homosexuality too? Two taboos busted in a night? Surely not. This is begining to do my head in.

Is the Pope condoning condoms only in gay sex because it is clear that they are being used to prevent infection, not as contraception?
Interesting interpretation, I think you're right, because the emphasis throughout is on preventing infection. "He stressed that abstinence was the best policy in fighting the disease but in some circumstances it was better for a condom to be used if it protected human life". I always think abstinence is the way to a happy, fulfilling relationship, don't you? Heaven forbid you use one of those evil, rubber things. What kind of world are we living in, where this guy has a huge public platform for his views, but if you point out that they're ludicrous, you would probably be vilified?!

We are still in the dark ages. That is the world we live in. I don't think there will ever be light and freedom. I was shocked to find out that americans can only marry americans. You cannot marry someone from another country unless you are prepared to live in separate countries.

Given that most, if not all of the World's problems are due to over population, isn't the Catholic stance on any form of birth control, let alone protection against AIDS an evil, dangerous and none sustainable view?

The Pope is hugely influential in much of Europe most of central and south America, isn't it about time that he preached safe sex without risk of disease or pregnancy.

The Pope is hugely influential in much of Europe most of central and south America, isn't it about time that he preached safe sex without risk of disease or pregnancy.

Most tragically you can add E. Africa -----the epicentre of HIV/AIDs----- to that list. Yet here's the genocidal Bishop of Maputo (Mozambique) asserting that Western condoms are deliberately infected with HIV: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7014335.stm

Just heard on Radio 4 that 5,500 deaths a DAY occur through AIDS in Africa.....

why anyone takes any notice if this nazi celibate's views on sexality beats me.

Of course the pope says it's okay for hookers to use condoms. Catholic church has had enough scandals , last thing they need is him getting a hooker pregnant

I should love to know what 'really' is the way to deal with the HIV infection, then...

I get the impression that if the Pope said London was the capital of England you'd take issue with it so I'm probably missing the point by saying that he mentioned abstinance as 'really' the way to prevent HIV infection. Whether you like the idea or not you'd have to concede it has some merit.

I get the impression that if the Pope said London was the capital of England you'd take issue with it so I'm probably missing the point by saying that he mentioned abstinance as 'really' the way to prevent HIV infection. Whether you like the idea or not you'd have to concede it has some merit

Its a shame many Catholic priests didnt abstain from commiting sex abuse

Personally I'm just waiting for the first spoof Internet ad: "Ven I'm auditionink new altar boys I alvays take my Mates viz me". Mates - use them if you're a Papal bull.

:lol:

I get the impression that if the Pope said London was the capital of England you'd take issue with it so I'm probably missing the point by saying that he mentioned abstinance as 'really' the way to prevent HIV infection. Whether you like the idea or not you'd have to concede it has some merit.
Well, I have no problem with people following the Catholic faith, that is none of my business. I do feel that a hugely influential figurehead, that has literally hundreds of millions of people hanging on his every word, has a responsibility not to encourage people to engage in conduct that will either (i) threaten their very existence, (ii) make them completely miserable and unfulfilled. This is precisely what he has done by refusing up until this point in time, to say that it is okay to use condoms. Even now, he's doing so reluctantly, with provisos, and thinks it would be better if you just didn't have sex at all! While everyone abstaining from intercourse for a generation - unless you had some sort of certified proof that the other person was 'clean' - would eradicate the disease, it is hardly a practical response, is it?

Dont you just love the catholic church hipocrites with thier holier than thou opinions. In my life time all I've ever read about them is abuse and cruelty. The pope now and those before him should be ashamed.

Rant over

Shelly

I wonder if this would not have been sooner if choir boys could have fallen pregnant.

S x

Just heard on Radio 4 that 5,500 deaths a DAY occur through AIDS in Africa.....

So I'm not the only contributor to listen to Radio 4 then. I think most Catholics in the western world are OK with using condoms or other contraception.

We are still in the dark ages. That is the world we live in. I don't think there will ever be light and freedom. I was shocked to find out that americans can only marry americans. You cannot marry someone from another country unless you are prepared to live in separate countries.

I'm American, and I can assure you that is not true. Where did you hear that? Actually, a lot of people marry just to get a green card to get into the US.