Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Suffolk Punter

Disability Discrimination

8 posts in this topic

Does the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) Cover premises where WGs may work?

Ive been to some that have steep & narrow stairways to the rooms & toilets, surely not in line with the DDA.

What about flats that do not have acces to upper floors by lifts?

BA

Ive been to some that have steep & narrow stairways to the rooms & toilets, surely not in line with the DDA.

BA

I understand it requires reasonable adjustments to enable access to the goods or services. Businesses with premises that are unsuitable for conversion for example can cover their obligations with alternative access provisions for disabled customers, e.g. text phones, home visits etc. So if service is available via out-call it's probably all fine and dandy.

Edited by WykeTyke

BA

I'm guessing that by "the Disability Discrimination Act" you are trying, inadequately, to refer to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 ? If I'm right, you should have a wee quick shufti at Schedule 27, Part I of the Equality Act 2010, where you'll see that the whole Act has been repealed. This doesn't actually make a whole lot of difference, but when talking about statute law it is often a good idea to get the statute cited right. A little bit of pre-posting research is often prudent.

(I'm in a bad mood? No, not really - this is just my style, and the polis kept me waiting for a pre-arranged visit for a full hour this morning, without troubling to ring.)

Edited by Irgendeiner

I'm guessing that by "the Disability Discrimination Act" you are trying, inadequately, to refer to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 ? If I'm right, you should have a wee quick shufti at Schedule 27, Part I of the Equality Act 2010, where you'll see that the whole Act has been repealed. This doesn't actually make a whole lot of difference, but when talking about statute law it is often a good idea to get the statute cited right. A little bit of pre-posting research is often prudent.

(I'm in a bad mood? No, not really - this is just my style, and the polis kept me waiting for a pre-arranged visit for a full hour this morning, without troubling to ring.)

I doubt also it would be accepted that an entired block of flats would have to alter it's actual structure to accomodate this. May as well knock them down and start again.

Edited by Strawberry

Presumably you are still going to charge us at your usual rate of £500 an hour for the advice though? ;)

On a more serious note, I'm often impressed by your in-depth knowledge when it comes to all kinds of legislation that have been mentioned on here. :)

isnt the disability regs an EU matter now?

I'm way out of date on this but I have a vague recollection that, although prostitution is not illegal,the transaction is still considered as being for "immoral purposes" and therefore there is no enforceable contract. I can imagine a strong argument that access to premises would also fall outside the scope of any law.

I'm way out of date on this but I have a vague recollection that, although prostitution is not illegal,the transaction is still considered as being for "immoral purposes" and therefore there is no enforceable contract. I can imagine a strong argument that access to premises would also fall outside the scope of any law.

Whatever the legal status you can't do very much about narrow corridors, steep stairs in an established building. Adaptations can be made were possible say to bathrooms etc, adding ramps but flats without lifts and narrow stair cases aren't going to be changed.