akanostromo

I Wonder Which Sites They Have In Mind?

4 posts in this topic

Just seen this on the BBC site.

I seems to me that SOCA's definition of "serious crime" is "those which give an opportunity for a bit of theft under Proceeds of Crime" and I can only imagine they and the CPS will spend even more time focusing on the sex industry.

Edited by akanostromo

Just seen this on the BBC site.

I seems to me that SOCA's definition of "serious crime" is "those which give an opportunity for a bit of theft under Proceeds of Crime" and I can only imagine they and the CPS will spend even more time focusing on the sex industry.

Another example of the creeping authoritarian state. The most worrying aspect these powers is they require no conviction or even evidence, only allegations and as we know the MET are not above claiming all sorts of stuff is illegal, like taking photographs, accepting advertising from prostitutes, or even just criticising the MET.

On a practical level, Nominet only control domains ending in .uk so punternet is safe. However, it might be worthwhile for brothels and agencies register alternative domains ending in .com or .net of their names.

Almost posted about this story earlier. Here's another link from a techier perspective:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1903841/coppers-shut-illegal-websites

This provides a fuller explanation of how this could work:

Currently Nominet does not have any clear obligation in its registrant terms and conditions that a domain name may not be used in connection with any activity that would constitute an offence under UK criminal law.

However other domain name registries including .org and .biz do have such a requirement and Nominet thinks it should change its terms and conditions.

This would give a contractual basis to suspend a domain where Nominet has reasonable grounds to believe it is being used to commit a crime. This basically would mean a notification from a UK law enforcement agency, so if the coppers say that what you are doing is illegal you could lose your domain name.

So far Nominet has worked on trust with the coppers and this has led to the suspension of over 1,200 domain names that were being used for criminal activity since December 2009.

The plan is to have a system in place to look at how it handles formal requests for suspension, whether safeguards are necessary such as an appeals process and what information and support might be needed from the industry for responsible officers in law enforcement agencies to help them identify when action is appropriate.

Could definitely see the end of .co.uk domains used in connection with the illegal aspects of prostitution (e.g. brothels and agencies).

B

It is possible to object to this policy proposal via email as shown on the nominet website.

I would point out the following as relevant.

1) You are a UK domain name owner.

2) As such you are indirectly a customer of nominet.

3) The burden of proof for the police seize virtual property such as a domain name must be equivalent to that needed to seize physical property.

4) Domains must only be seized by a court order.