Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Eye-fi

4 posts in this topic

I've recently splashed out £125 (which sounds quite a bit, but shows that for me certainly, and I think for many of us, the "real" £ and the "punting" £ are different units!) on an 8Gb Eye-Fi SDHC card, which is meant to wirelessly send my priceless photographic triumphs spontaneously to both my lap-top and to Google's Picasa, via any open Wi-Fi connection.

(Oh, and it is supposed to work out where all the photos were taken and fudge the Lat & Long data into the Exif!)

For me it doesn't seem to do much that any other SDHC card would'nt do, but then, I live in the mountains where there is a decided shortage of free Wi-Fi hot spots, although the other day I turned the camera on in the Starbucks cafe in the M40 Warwick services, while I drank an exorbitantly priced mocha, and, again, nothing happened!

Anyone else tried this brilliant technology, and have any comments?

I've recently splashed out £125 (which sounds quite a bit, but shows that for me certainly, and I think for many of us, the "real" £ and the "punting" £ are different units!) on an 8Gb Eye-Fi SDHC card, which is meant to wirelessly send my priceless photographic triumphs spontaneously to both my lap-top and to Google's Picasa, via any open Wi-Fi connection.

(Oh, and it is supposed to work out where all the photos were taken and fudge the Lat & Long data into the Exif!)

For me it doesn't seem to do much that any other SDHC card would'nt do, but then, I live in the mountains where there is a decided shortage of free Wi-Fi hot spots, although the other day I turned the camera on in the Starbucks cafe in the M40 Warwick services, while I drank an exorbitantly priced mocha, and, again, nothing happened!

Don't know if you tried searching the Eye-Fi Forum tech help ....

http://forums.eye.fi

If no luck there, try the free pc tech forum here :

http://forums.techguy.org

Post for help in the Hardware section, you might get some assistance.

This sort of technology gives all the PR about how great it is and so on. Just simply connect to any free wi fi and there you go. they make it sound like this country is connected all over by free open WI FI.

That is the problem if there is no free open Wi Fi then it is just another memory card. Even when there are free WiFi available it is usually not open and a code is needed. The only free and open WiFi you will find is if someone has not set any security on their home WiFi.

It also relies on the WiFi to show you where you took the pic but if no WiFi the only other way is GPS and if that is not on the system then pointless. I would either return for a refund or sell it.

For me it doesn't seem to do much that any other SDHC card wouldn't do, but then, I live in the mountains where there is a decided shortage of free Wi-Fi hot spots, although the other day I turned the camera on in the Starbucks cafe in the M40 Warwick services, while I drank an exorbitantly priced mocha, and, again, nothing happened!

I really can't see the point of this 8GB Eye-Fi card, never mind for £125 (this is just ridiculously high price, never mind the thechology).

First: why don't just get normal SDHS 8gb card for £3.99 and transfer pictures from them it to your netbook. (yes, I understand you need to have a netbook/notebook with you also at least). You going to transfer them from the CD card somewhere eventually anyway.

Second: (sorry, I am repeating Versus69 on some points)- FREE Wifi network are actually very difficult to come by. Ok, there are always Starbucks, Macdonalds, some Motorway service stations, some large building sites have an unsecured open connections, few chains of Pubs, and thats about it! Doubt that you will bother to ride around and to call to those places, just for the cake of sending few pictures from your camera. Also, usually free open WIFI spots have a limit how many files you can sent through theirs netowrk. AFAIK: its not more then 30-40MB. Considering that an average RAW photo file takes about 10mb,(I think you mentioned before on this forum, that you take images in the RAW format) you only can sent 3-4 images.

Another option (which Versus mentions also) to drive close to some industrial estate, or private houses, and see if you can pick and open network, where people, or some companies have not been arsed to secure it (I am the one by the way ;-)).

The question is, why do you want to do it?

Surely you can wait to get back home, and use you own Broadband connection to sent this photos. Why is it such urgency to sent them there and then from the CD card and you paid £125 for it! This is crazy! I am honestly cant get it.

Edited by Xenia