kissxkate

Road Wise

38 posts in this topic

I have a dilema!

I'm supposed to be driving an hour and a half south to Oxford for a tour date. I have one booking so far and the hotel room is non refundable.

The weather forecast is to expect another snow fall of up to 5cm's and I'm led to believe that Oxford suffered quite badly with snow already. I know it is snowing in Somerset, which is also south of me.

Do I cancel and cut my losses or should I try and get there with the possibility of my booking cancelling on me for the same reason I am concerned? As a punter would you be annoyed if the wg did not even attempt the journey or think her wise (this close to Christmas) to stay safe.

Edited by kissxkate

I have a dilema!

I'm supposed to be driving an hour and a half south to Oxford for a tour date. I have one booking so far and the hotel room is non refundable.

The weather forecast is to expect another snow fall of up to 5cm's and I'm led to believe that Oxford suffered quite badly with snow already. I know it is snowing in Somerset, which is also south of me.

Do I cancel and cut my losses or should I try and get there with the possibility of my booking cancelling on me for the same reason I am concerned? As a punter would you be annoyed if the wg did not even attempt the journey or think her wise (this close to Christmas) to stay safe.

The hotel must have had loads of cancellations because of weather, why not ask them if you can book another date after xmas instead?

S x

The hotel must have had loads of cancellations because of weather, why not ask them if you can book another date after xmas instead?

S x

That is a good idea. I'm currently waiting for a response from my client to see what they want to do. I've asked them what the roads are like at their end. If they say they would prefer to cancel I will call the hotel again and see if that is an option. Fingers crossed.

The Highways Agency has a traffic cam website - (well it does in Kent). The cams are updated every 2 mins so I can judge my route accordingly.

If it looks dodgy I am sure no one would expect you to go. Remember you have to get back as well.

I am not doing any outcalls as I have a sports car and it is unsafe to take out. Be pennie wise not pound foolish, as my mum would say. If you have an accident or get stuck so have to stay at a hotel for longer you will be more than out of pocket.

No dilemma at all Kate, you must cancel. The roads everywhere are too bad for a journey like that. I know we all get p***Ed off when people cancel, girls and punters, but in the current conditions people accept it.

Pandora is right - ok you will lose a few quid by cancelling, but if you start the journey and end up in a ditch near Oxford, you will lose a lot more.

Don't give your punter the choice - just phone and tell him the meet is off. If he has got half a brain he will understand. To be honest, I would have expected him to phone you and give you the option to cancel, if he knows how far you're travelling.

Edited by bisley98

Bummer on the hotel, I am not sure how they stand when it is booked as a non-refundable rate which I assume is what you got. I get these from time to time as well and have one booked in for this Wednesday which I may lose too if the weather has not cleared up by then :(

But I do think it could be a bit risky to travel today and it would be worth cancelling. I am not sure how the A40 is like today.

Last year, on one of the heavy snow days, I had two bookings in Hemel. One cancelled due to the snow and I tried to cancel the other one, who went "oh no, please can you try and make it and I am ok getting there even with the snow" I thought "ok, I will make an attempt to get down there"

The booking was at 11am, I kept him informed the whole way, when I left, approximate arrival time etc (which was 11.20am). As I was texting him I never received any replies which I thought was odd. At 11.20am I was in the flat and texted him saying I am here, where are you.. 20 minutes later I got a call saying I will be there at 2pm, there is a lot of snow (no sh*t sherlock) :angry: I was not a happy bunny!

I think the common sense thing would be to cancel the trip in this bad weather.

Dont forget the roads will be busy this week as people make their way home for christmas.

I know loosing the hotel payment is not nice but surely better that than risk losing your car & posibly more in the snow.

The choice is yours, im sure your client will understand.

BA

Is your life worth less than the cost of your hotel?

The Highways Agency has a traffic cam website - (well it does in Kent). The cams are updated every 2 mins so I can judge my route accordingly.

That is brilliant Pandora thank you, never saw that before. :)

Kate, if it were me I wouldn’t even consider trying to get there. It’s a long journey which will be even longer in this weather and with the Xmas travellers, and you run a great risk of your client cancelling on you at the last minute anyway. Unless the journey is local or essential I think it’s best to stay home as you may get stranded, and the risk of accidents is far higher. The client should understand; I always get cancellations when it snows as my clients think either the journey is too risky or they can’t get out of their drives.

Exactly.

Exactly.

It wasn't the price of the hotel that bothered me, or the earnings for the day, as it was potentially minimal when set against the hotel costs, but the fact that I was booked in by a regular and I didn't want to let them down.

As it is I decided to cancel. My main priority is to my son and I didn't want to risk ruining his Christmas by getting hurt or by putting myself in a position where I could not work for some time and take care of the bills, which also has an impact on him, so I'm still here and freezing at that.

I have a couple of local bookings to look forward to on Wednesday, which are worth treble todays potential earnings, so really not worried about the money short term.

Thank you all for taking away the niggle though. I heard back from the client about an hour ago who told me the roads were bad in Oxford and that they were struggling to travel themselves so not to worry. This was the biggest relief for me. I hate letting people down :mellow:

I shall use the time to go visit my Dad instead. I was wondering when I would be able to fit it in, so quite pleased.

Edited by kissxkate

Good call Kate. I had the same decision to make two and a bit weeks ago when I was due to go up to Glasgow. Snow hadn't fallen greatly yet but was very much due to, I had quite a few hours worth of bookings and more asking.

On the Thursday before going up on the Monday I made the decision to cancel my trip. After speaking with several Glasgow callers, hearing it was getting really bad road wise up there, gridlocked town centre roads already, I decided there were too many risks with the trip.

I texted or emailed all my bookings to let them know, all were understanding and one went so far as to say I had shown some sense :)

However that left me with a blank week with no clients and snow still due :(

So I decided to put up a discount on the other site (not on my website, discounts there never get much of an immediate response) and ended up having a good week after all and the snow in Brighton only last 2 days, while it was horrendous in Scotland.

Still wanna get back up there, it'll be Glasgow again so I'll settle for rain if I can't have a clear sky :D

Unless you have a car that can handle the snow, I wouldn't bother.

I have to ask you though, is this thread really necessary?

The news is full of accident reports, deaths and even incidents where people have abandoned their cars as they got stuck. I think that should make your mind up for you.

Hi Kate.

In my opinion the best thing to do is cancel,any punter who expects you to turn up is not very sensible.This weather won't last forever,your safety is more important than any amount of money, as others have said you have to get back.So put your feet up and have a good safe Christmas.

Why I was still debating with myself as to if I should go or not was based on 3 things.

1. We had no snow fall in Worcester for 24 hours and the skies were looking ok this morning.

2. I had been using this site http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/motorways/#incidents to check if there were any problems with my route. I had discovered it back on Saturday, as I was hoping to go up to Chester for some shopping. The routes this morning were not showing up with accidents or problems and it was just the knowledge that Oxford had suffered quite badly with snow 2 days ago that made me edgy. I had listened to radio one on the way back from Cheltenham and I new some students were stranded there.

3. I really didn't want to let my client down.

My gut feeling was telling me that I should stay put, but I couldn't see anything that confirmed that gut feeling, so I thought it might be a good idea to check here and see what others felt, especially as some of you may be situated along the route or actually in Oxford.

As it is it started to snow here in Worcester about an hour and a half ago and is still falling quite heavily now. My sons gone into town with his friends and I know I would be worrying about him if I wasn't here, let alone if I was stuck in some awful snow driven accident, so I'm sure I made the right decision. I just didn't have that confirmation in my head this morning.

Thankfully I made the money I needed to pay my mortgage while in Cheltenham and was very lucky as the snow started to fall on the last evening of my visit, which did not hamper my work at all. I deposited the money into my bank account on the same evening before the snow started to fall, so was able to rest easy.

I wish some people wouldn't look for the negative. This thread was not started for any other reason than a moment of indecision and the hope that someone may confirm my gut feeling. I don't live with any other adults, I could hardly ask my Mum if she thought it was safe, as she didn't know I was going away so I came here, it is as simple as that.

My local news doesn't include Oxford, as I come under the West Midlands and as I was using the bbc travel information that didn't state any problems I wasn't sure. If you look at it now there are 3 warnings in the Oxford area. So glad I didn't go.

Edited by kissxkate

I won't go on any outcall if there is the risk of snow, clients are more than welcome to come to me but bashing my car and having it off the road - not to mention the risk of getting squished under a lorry or worse is not worth a couple of hundred pounds. That said I've just been over to Newcastle and back this weekend. I was so very scared Saturday about the drive back today after seeing all the scary pictures on the news reports. Luckily Cumbria and Tyneside aren't badly hit, the A69 was a bit slushy and icy with a nasty patch of freezing fog but that was it. It's blooming cold but the motorway is completely clear the entire length of the county.

I've been checking the weather forecast for 3 days, as well as traffic updates constantly. I had to get home today, but if it had gotten very bad I'd have just booked another night at the hotel and let any commitments back home know asap.

Edited by Strawberry

Why I was still debating with myself as to if I should go or not was based on 3 things.

1. We had no snow fall in Worcester for 24 hours and the skies were looking ok this morning.

2. I had been using this site http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/motorways/#incidents to check if there were any problems with my route. I had discovered it back on Saturday, as I was hoping to go up to Chester for some shopping. The routes this morning were not showing up with accidents or problems and it was just the knowledge that Oxford had suffered quite badly with snow 2 days ago that made me edgy. I had listened to radio one on the way back from Cheltenham and I new some students were stranded there.

My gut feeling was telling me that I should stay put, but I couldn't see anything that confirmed that gut feeling, so I thought it might be a good idea to check here and see what others felt, especially as some of you may be situated along the route or actually in Oxford.

As it is it started to snow here in Worcester about an hour and a half ago and is still falling quite heavily now. My sons gone into town with his friends and I know I would be worrying about him if I wasn't here, let alone if I was stuck in some awful snow driven accident, so I'm sure I made the right decision. I just didn't have that confirmation in my head this morning.

Thankfully I made the money I needed to pay my mortgage while in Cheltenham and was very lucky as the snow started to fall on the last evening of my visit, which did not hamper my work at all. I deposited the money into my bank account on the same evening before the snow started to fall, so was able to rest easy.

I wish some people wouldn't look for the negative. This thread was not started for any other reason than a moment of indecision and the hope that someone may confirm my gut feeling. I don't live with any other adults, I could hardly ask my Mum if she thought it was safe, as she didn't know I was going away so I came here, it is as simple as that.

My local news doesn't include Oxford, as I come under the West Midlands and as I was using the bbc travel information that didn't state any problems I wasn't sure. If you look at it now there are 3 warnings in the Oxford area. So glad I didn't go.

Kate, there is absolutely no need to explain your actions. everone on here agrees you did the right thing - it would have been foolish to go out on that journey in this weather.

I have always followed my gut feeling in all things, and am usually right, as indeed you were on this occasion.

No client can expect you to travel that distance in this weather, and as someone else said, he could have pulled out at the last minute himself anyway.

At least you know you have the money sorted this month, so nothing to worry about there either.

Now sit back, open a bottle of whatever does it for you, and sit back and watch the snow falling!!

I’ve driven in some atrocious weather to get to clients and never again will I put myself in the position where I’m scared whilst driving. You can be as careful as you can be but it’s the idiots on the road, who drive inappropriately for the conditions, to watch out for! One booking I had a few years ago meant a drive from Southampton to Heathrow; the weather was OK when I got there but when I left the roads were a few inches deep in snow. Wow! :blink: The client was very good and offered me the room for the night (as he was leaving once the booking was over) but I had no choice but to get home. It was mainly on the motorways (M25/M3/M27) so they were bound to be OK right? Wrong! They weren’t kept clear and there was rutted ice under the snow, which the wheels got caught in constantly. That was dodgy enough but juggernaughts in the middle lane overtaking everyone was just downright frightening; if they lost control they were going to take a few of us out! :angry: It was a hellish journey that took 3.5 hours instead of the usual 1.5. But at least I got home that day. Some poor sods get stranded which must be awful.

These days it’s far more relaxing only doing incalls; now it’s the poor clients who have issues with the weather :P . If they cancel they cancel, it’s just one of those things B) .

I’ve driven in some atrocious weather to get to clients and never again will I put myself in the position where I’m scared whilst driving. You can be as careful as you can be but it’s the idiots on the road, who drive inappropriately for the conditions, to watch out for! One booking I had a few years ago meant a drive from Southampton to Heathrow; the weather was OK when I got there but when I left the roads were a few inches deep in snow. Wow! :blink: The client was very good and offered me the room for the night (as he was leaving once the booking was over) but I had no choice but to get home. It was mainly on the motorways (M25/M3/M27) so they were bound to be OK right? Wrong! They weren’t kept clear and there was rutted ice under the snow, which the wheels got caught in constantly. That was dodgy enough but juggernaughts in the middle lane overtaking everyone was just downright frightening; if they lost control they were going to take a few of us out! :angry: It was a hellish journey that took 3.5 hours instead of the usual 1.5. But at least I got home that day. Some poor sods get stranded which must be awful.

These days it’s far more relaxing only doing incalls; now it’s the poor clients who have issues with the weather :P . If they cancel they cancel, it’s just one of those things B) .

Bottle of wine opened, fire on and pussy cat purring on knee while twinkly tree lights smiling in my eyes. I'm relaxed again now :)

Edited by kissxkate

hmm. the A44 is the road from Worcester to Oxford. there is Fish Hill up out of Broadway, and then down the hill through Bourton on the hill.

both best avoided.

I know of people who were stuck on the A34 on Saturday for over 9 hours doing about 1 mile an hour. So I think you made a very good call.

As an ex professional driver i would say to stay put.

Let the proffesionals get on with their jobs (stock to supermarkets etc)

As has been said put your feet up & have a good christmas with your son knowing both of you are safe.

It is more relaxing doing in-calls, I don't live too far from my working premises so it's fairly easy getting there, I have had some cancellations due to the snow, some have re-scheduled, others have said they will do so. I had one nice gentleman today who came quite a way using a potentially bad route, luckily he made it, hopefully has nice a time was had by him as well as me and it was worth his while making the journey.

Edited by Joanna Manchester

I've a few fairly regular journies between Manchester and Ne Lanc's businesss and personal both ends, I'm currently trying to keep the travelling down to a minimum. The snow and ice is bad enough, but the idiouts who just treat it like any other day? Today I travelled late morning down the M66 from NE Lanc's to Manchester, the sun was extremely low and dead centre of the windscreeen, combined with frozen washers and windscreens covered in crap, (most people), you were driving blind the amount of people who rocketed past at 70 to 80 without being able to see where they were going, they do same in fog?