pvcman

Internet Enabled Tvs

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking at replacing my Dad's TV and it seems a lot of new TVs are now web enabled (sometime by using a separate dongle.)

Does anyone have any experience of using these TVs and what are they like in practice? What are the various apps and widgets like to use and are they stable i.e. not keep dropping out?

I'm looking at Samsung or Sony and I've heard that some of the recent Samsung sets are good but Sony software is not as good.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Not worth it... Internet access is usually restricted. I use a net top style PC (Acer Aspire Revo 3610) connected via HDMI to get the internet via my TV.

B

Not worth it... Internet access is usually restricted. I use a net top style PC (Acer Aspire Revo 3610) connected via HDMI to get the internet via my TV.

B

The TV would be for my elderly Dad - it would take me a year to explain to him how to use a mouse...

So do you not think a net enabled TV would be worthwhile even just to access a few sites like iPlayer, YouTube etc?

The TV would be for my elderly Dad - it would take me a year to explain to him how to use a mouse...

So do you not think a net enabled TV would be worthwhile even just to access a few sites like iPlayer, YouTube etc?

Definitely, but I would stay well away from Sony. Most of the TV's that I see coming up again and again on Freecycle are Sony's. I think that the Samsung looks good.

I have one of the new Sony's, a 40ex503, and I think it is a great TV. I don't really use the internet bit on the tv as it is more just a select number of services, but having an in built iplayer is fantasitic.

The TV will connect on an ethernet cable or you have to buy the wireless dongle.

Aha... you've changed the specification :P

Yeah, in that case an internet enabled TV might do the trick.

Personally in your situation I'd do some research (of which this thread is part LOL) , select 2-3 brands which seem to fit the bill and then take your father along to a shop selling them and get him to test them to find one he can understand.

WRT research: you'll prolly find more help than you ever need over at avforums.co.uk.

I'd also consider buying from John Lewis assuming they still offer a free five year warranty and will still price match... there's a whole thread dedicated to that over at avforums.co.uk ;)

B

Aha... you've changed the specification :P

Yeah, in that case an internet enabled TV might do the trick.

Personally in your situation I'd do some research (of which this thread is part LOL) , select 2-3 brands which seem to fit the bill and then take your father along to a shop selling them and get him to test them to find one he can understand.

WRT research: you'll prolly find more help than you ever need over at avforums.co.uk.

I'd also consider buying from John Lewis assuming they still offer a free five year warranty and will still price match... there's a whole thread dedicated to that over at avforums.co.uk ;)

B

Thanks for the advice. I bought my last TV from John Lewis with the 5 year warranty so am looking to do the same. I'll check out avforums.co.uk - I've visited before but not checked out anything about internet enabled TVs.

Thanks for the advice. I bought my last TV from John Lewis with the 5 year warranty so am looking to do the same. I'll check out avforums.co.uk - I've visited before but not checked out anything about internet enabled TVs.

Wait for this if you can:

http://www.youview.com/

It will do for internet TV what Freeview did for digital TV.

How old is he? unless he's a real vegetable, it should be easy. I showed an 85 yr old lady how to surf, and she picked it up in a few months.

I have been considering a new TV too, at the moment I have a Toshiba 32", It's connected to my PC via a HDMI lead, I wonder If a new TV with a ethernet socket would be worth It.

How old is he? unless he's a real vegetable, it should be easy. I showed an 85 yr old lady how to surf, and she picked it up in a few months.

I'll take that comment in the (probable) spirit it was intended... my dad is in his 80s and has dementia... he struggles with any kind of technology. Pre-dementia, it took him years to learn how to use the timer on his video recorder.