marksmith

Getting Check Out At The Clinic

56 posts in this topic

Sorry if this thread has come up before, im sure it has but couldnt find it.

Anyway ive never been before for the old check up, so thought it was about time i did. Could anyone tell me the procedure? Do they take water sample, a swab, or both and do they test for HIV?

IME, they'll only test for HIV/Syphilis if you ask.

Generally advised not to pass water for a couple of hours beforehand.

If you're totally paranoid, go private as the NHS don't test for everything...

B

The website for your local NHS clinic should have all these details.

If you are nervous you could bear in mind that they can't and won't do anything without your prior consent. Every step of the way. There's no harm in calling the clinic first to ask a few questions - as an ex-nurse I can promise you that any health worker worth their salt would positively welcome this and would be more than happy to explain things to you and to put your mind at ease. It is great that you are planning to do this, I wish everyone would take such responsibility for their health (and that of others) and I hope you will find, as I always have, that it is actually not an unpleasant experience at all.

Sorry if this thread has come up before, im sure it has but couldnt find it.

Anyway ive never been before for the old check up, so thought it was about time i did. Could anyone tell me the procedure? Do they take water sample, a swab, or both and do they test for HIV?

I paid a precautionary visit to my local NHS Clinic in November and found them to be very thorough indeed.

They take swabs > downstairs [ouch] and orally

Urine test

2 Samples of Bloods

10 day response time > no news is good news policy

As far as I was told they tested for everything including HIV and Hep as well as the standard

They interview you and if you tell them you visit WGs regularly they will give you the full test and they even offered me the Hep vacc which I accepted [3 jabs/visits]

I found them to be very helpful and professional.

It can be difficult to get an appointment though so I would recommend calling your local clinic first, asking any questions you may have

as they are very approachable, but usually very busy.

I personally see no reason to go private.:)

@ vulvasailor - i doubt that very much, having worked in just such a clinic in my early twenties I can assure you that it takes quite a lot to make staff notice anything odd about a person considering the numbers and diversity of people they see each day. these are people who have chosen to work in this particular area of healthwork - as a self-selecting group they are, in my experience, incredibly positive in their attitudes about sex and about people, as well as almost entirely non-judgemental (in a very real sense) and pretty much unshockable.

Just asked a fried about it (forgot until just now he went a few months back). He said they took a swab and a urine test, with the option of a blood test. Not sure if thats standard practice these days or just specific to each clinic

There is some variation between clinics as to what is offered universally (to everybody) and what they only do if specifically asked or if told that one has taken certain risks. Mostly because of funding. They need to target "at-risk groups" and individuals apparently instead of just testing everybody for everything.

The only way to really know is to ask the clinic that you plan to visit what they offer to everyone, what they offer to some but not all, and what they do not offer at all.

If they refuse to test you for something that you wish to be tested for it is worth asking why - you may change your mind when you understand the risks better or they may decide they can test you for it when they understand more about your lifestyle. It is also worth asking why they want to test you for something if the test sounds scary/painful and you are not sure it is truly needed - let them explain the procedure and the reasons for it and then make an informed choice for yourself.

It is not just a variance from one clinic to another, you may find that even if you visit the same clinic as a friend you will each be treated differently. Its all about risk assessment basically and that's why communication and honesty is important.

Im not bothered about answering questions or anything like that, only thing that does concern me is the swab test. Does it hurt?

The swab test burns ever so slightly, but don't worry it's only a small thing (the swab that is)

Just be honest about your lifestyle and about ALL the activities you partake in. They will ask if you have had unprotected sex with the WG to which you will (hopefully) answer no. However it's helpful to mention if you have had any unprotected oral sex!!

The doctor asking you to milk your penis was a slight shock though LOL

The swab test burns ever so slightly, but don't worry it's only a small thing (the swab that is)

Just be honest about your lifestyle and about ALL the activities you partake in. They will ask if you have had unprotected sex with the WG to which you will (hopefully) answer no. However it's helpful to mention if you have had any unprotected oral sex!!

Gets quite amusing when the GU doctor ask you if the girls kiss, come from RO etc. :P

B

One well known Harley St GUM doctor should know. Heard he liked to do some medical research ;)

One well known Harley St GUM doctor should know. Heard he liked to do some medical research ;)

Yeah, my doctor sounded like he wanted to undertake some field research, never mind medical research!. ;)

B

I will mention i have unprotected orax sex, both giving and recieving. Thats the only chance i have caught something really, ive always had protected sex

If if asks "do you have a regular partner", i wont know what to say. I have a regular WG partner if that counts :D

Edited by marksmith

It gets embarrassing when he asks about all your sexual partners in the past 3-6 months and you say they are all Sex Workers :\

Does it really make a difference if you say you slept with x number of girls (sex workers or not). End of the day least you know a sex worker will (or most) use a condom for sex, cant be said with randoms off the street

It gets embarrassing when he asks about all your sexual partners in the past 3-6 months and you say they are all Sex Workers :\

Why?

B

I paid a precautionary visit to my local NHS Clinic in November and found them to be very thorough indeed.

They take swabs > downstairs [ouch] and orally

Urine test

2 Samples of Bloods

10 day response time > no news is good news policy

As far as I was told they tested for everything including HIV and Hep as well as the standard

They interview you and if you tell them you visit WGs regularly they will give you the full test and they even offered me the Hep vacc which I accepted [3 jabs/visits]

I found them to be very helpful and professional.

It can be difficult to get an appointment though so I would recommend calling your local clinic first, asking any questions you may have

as they are very approachable, but usually very busy.

I personally see no reason to go private.:)

Yup, cant add much. My clicnic is in the local hospital so dont see much reason at going private.

When you first go they do give you a form to fill out, etc. "Have you ever paid for sex?" etc. mobile number etc.

Then ask you about the last 3 or 4 partners in the actual examination room.

My advice is dont lie. My clinic knows Im a punter and visit varius MK places and girls. They ask what you did. "did you give/recieve oral without protection? Sex without protection? etc.."

Then give your japs eye and back of the throat a wipe with a swab ( I just stare at that yellow bucket on the wall and think of Top Gear). Then two urine samples, one to the brim, one half full. (Theres usually a water cooler in the waiting room incase you cant go, Has happened to me. I hate waiting in the waiting room needing to pee.but not peeing 2 hours before the time usually works for me )

Then usually I go for the blood samples too.

If you havent then they may start up a Hep C vaccination if you havent had one.

Then just wait in the waiting room as they may give you the results of some of the test there and then at my clinic.

In the case where they may be concerned about something they may ask you into a different examination room with a Doctor to discuss it. For me it was suspicious I may have contracted something, Dont worry turn out to be false in the end) but they just gave me some tablets as a precaution and I was off on my merry way.

Thats it.

It is nerve wrecking the first time you go (and I hate having to be somewhere where I have to wait to pee) but its nothing in the end.

But then if you want to punt, then you should always get checked out. I just call it a doctors appointment at work and no one questions it.

Never caught anything myself but for pure piece of mind I still keep going.

IME, they'll only test for HIV/Syphilis if you ask.

Generally advised not to pass water for a couple of hours beforehand.

If you're totally paranoid, go private as the NHS don't test for everything...

B

Actually, I go to the NHS clinic at 56 Dean Street in Soho and they do test for everything if you ask - just say you picked up this girl in a dark alley, had your wicked way with her and the condom broke - they are very responsive when you put it that way! Seriously, it is a very nice clinic, staffed by some very savvy young nurses and they are very professional. They will give you some results on the spot and TXT you the rest in about two weeks. You do NOT receive a certificate suitable for framing, however. :)

Actually, I go to the NHS clinic at 56 Dean Street in Soho and they do test for everything if you ask - just say you picked up this girl in a dark alley, had your wicked way with her and the condom broke - they are very responsive when you put it that way! Seriously, it is a very nice clinic, staffed by some very savvy young nurses and they are very professional. They will give you some results on the spot and TXT you the rest in about two weeks. You do NOT receive a certificate suitable for framing, however. :)

Actually they don't test for everything. Main things they do, but not everything. ;)

B

Get your Hep B vaccination whilst you're there.

Far commoner & more contagious than HIV, and just as nasty. But entirely preventable with vaccination :)

The only hard thing about it is the swab test it stings for like 2 seconds, thats the only reason i hate going but i still go regular just in case. I go every 3-6 months depending on how many WG's ive been with.

Before my last visit, I had received a "freebie" from a doctor (I had almost forgotten what they were like!). When the doctor asked me about her occupation, I admitted that she was a doctor and went on to explain that that was why I was getting myself checked up...you never know where they've been! This brought a smile to the young male doctor's face.

On a more serious note, GUM clinics vary as to what tests they carry out. I have never had an oral swab (no reverse oral). They always want to test for HIV tho', essentially for statistical purposes to ensure that the whole patient population is included. One young female doctor took a disliking to me and excluded most of the relevant tests and sent me to see the health adviser who did not understand why I had been sent (fairly cautious profile). I simply laughed and explained that the only advice she could give me was not to do it (i.e., visit WGs all the time). The female health adviser appreciated the joke.

Jack

When they ask about sexual partners, you dont have to name them do you?