starman

The truth about legalisation in the Netherlands

7 posts in this topic

The Netherlands is consistantly under attack for it's policies on prostitution.

A favourite ploy of those arguing against recognising the 'work' in sex work or those who choose to ignore the rights demands of sex workers is to claim that legalisation in the Netherlands is a failed experiment.

Common assertions are that the sex industry in the Netherlands has exploded, that trafficking of women into prostitution has increased, that organised criminals control everything and that recent changes in Amsterdam's red light area somehow prove that all this is unarguable.

Successive studies on the sex industry, post-decriminalisation, conducted by the Ministry of Justice say otherwise.

Marjan Wijers has written a short article on sex work in the Netherlands.

She briefly outlines historical events leading to decriminalisation, discusses how the sex industry is regulated, introduces findings from recent studies and provides her observations on successes and concerns coming from her experience working on these issues for many years.

more here

excerpt:

Demand

Both the demand for and supply of prostitution services appear to have decreased in the past years.

Various sex businesses are closed, windows are empty and prostitutes complain about the lack of earnings.

It is not clear as to what extent this is the result of the lifting of the ban on brothels.

Many other factors can also play a role in the drop in demand, such as the economic downswing, the growth of the Internet,

the eroticisation of nightlife (as a result of which voluntary unpaid sexual activities have increased) :P,

and the deterrent effect on clients of camera monitoring in prostitution areas.

Generally, the change of law has led to an increase in regulations and control which has led to the closure of some businesses and a decrease of prostitutes from outside the EEA.

Thanks for that post, very interesting.

I have been doing some homework on Amsterdam as an interesting place for Madam Beckys as I now am more Europe based.

It seems that the general view of clients punting in Amsterdam is one of poor quality and service, and often lack-luster ladies.

It would be nice to open somewhere that I could have a well run legal business and know I'd be there for more than a week.

I have read of many windows being closed for money laundering issues and that they are trying to tidy the whole thing up legally.

Lots of my ladies seem keen to do a few days!

Madam Becky x

Madam Becky taking over the world??? :D:):)

It's my MacBrothel theory.

I think chaps should be able to go to any town or city and visit a parlour where they get the same standards, prices, services and in every other flat in the group! They know what they are getting and know what to expect and who to complain to if they don't......And 'extra fries' if they need them!

MBX

Do they have old biddys in the car parks in Amsterdam writing down car registration numbers and looking for ginger nuts?

Do they have old biddys in the car parks in Amsterdam writing down car registration numbers and looking for ginger nuts?

I think they are on barges mainly. I hate soggy gingernuts so I may have to complain to the police.

Just not good enough.