Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
punter992005

Weird Hotmail Problem

3 posts in this topic

re-formatted my computer on Monday, and put the antivirus back on straightaway. Today I've got some delivery status notifications (dated the 4th) in my inbox with the names of people who I've sent emails to in the past as the missed recipients....this made me think they weren't random spam so I checked my sent messages folder and sure enough my hotmail account says two emails were sent yesterday to multiple and apparently random people from my contact list/sent messages folder. I've ran anti-virus checks and there's nothing on my computer. Which makes sense since these messages were sent when I was at work and my computer wouldn't have even been switched on.

I then thought it could be my phone...I did have my phone apparently hang and crash at almost the exact time that these messages were apparently sent, which is a hell of a coincidence. But again, I've checked my phone and there's nothing on it in terms of viruses when I connected it to my computer and ran a virus check. Also there's no email account set up on there anymore since the details were apparently erased when I upgraded to Android 2.1

All very confusing. I've changed my password in any case, just to be on the safe side but can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be?

Edited by punter992005

re-formatted my computer on Monday, and put the antivirus back on straightaway. Today I've got some delivery status notifications (dated the 4th) in my inbox with the names of people who I've sent emails to in the past as the missed recipients....this made me think they weren't random spam so I checked my sent messages folder and sure enough my hotmail account says two emails were sent yesterday to multiple and apparently random people from my contact list/sent messages folder. I've ran anti-virus checks and there's nothing on my computer. Which makes sense since these messages were sent when I was at work and my computer wouldn't have even been switched on.

I then thought it could be my phone...I did have my phone apparently hang and crash at almost the exact time that these messages were apparently sent, which is a hell of a coincidence. But again, I've checked my phone and there's nothing on it in terms of viruses when I connected it to my computer and ran a virus check. Also there's no email account set up on there anymore since the details were apparently erased when I upgraded to Android 2.1

All very confusing. I've changed my password in any case, just to be on the safe side but can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be?

I think it probably was my phone....downloaded a proper antivirus app for Android and it did find an issue although it was a bit vague about the details. Coupled with the big crash (on my phone) at the same time as these emails were sent (I had to rip the battery out to get it to shut down) I think I've got the culprit.

Another thing to consider is using a third party instant messaging program.

It can be easy to inadvertently reveal your login details to a malicious program appearing as a legitimate one.