Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colonel Bonkers

Google Chrome

9 posts in this topic

A few months back some kind member tipped me off that a good way of covering your internet tracks was to use the incognito mode on Google chrome. I've just been doing that, but then logged off. When I logged on again all the sites visited were clearly visible on the home page. Where am I going wrong?

A few months back some kind member tipped me off that a good way of covering your internet tracks was to use the incognito mode on Google chrome. I've just been doing that, but then logged off. When I logged on again all the sites visited were clearly visible on the home page. Where am I going wrong?

Make sure you are opening an incognito window

from the help pages.....

Open an incognito window

Click the wrench icon (or Ctrl+Shift+N) on the browser toolbar. Mac users: If you don't see the wrench icon, go to the menu bar at the top of your screen and click File.

Select New incognito window.

It's only that window that remains secret.....all the normal windows will run as normal.

That should be it.

Remember that any sites you go to will still have a record of your visit - so no naughtiness

Maybe this will help: http://www.techrena.net/internet/remove-most-visited-sites-from-new-tab-in-google-chrome-in-easy-steps/

Thanks, chaps.

I was probably just being careless, and had sauntered out of incognito mode without noticing.

Thanks, chaps.

I was probably just being careless, and had sauntered out of incognito mode without noticing.

Also useful to uncheck the prediction service - Wrench/options/under-the-bonnet tab

Also useful to uncheck the prediction service - Wrench/options/under-the-bonnet tab

Thanks. Very useful. I had no idea.

I have now transferred all my illicit activities to Google Chrome.

google chrome lol no privacy on google chrome

google chrome lol no privacy on google chrome

That's what I was thinking, an odd choice for someone concerned about privacy.

Seriously, I don't want to make anyone paranoid, but if you're using Chrome you should read up on its privacy policy. I think all the other browsers now have a private browsing option, and Opera is probably as fast as Chrome, so there's not really any need to use it. If you must use it, there's an alternative called Iron, which is Chrome without Google's built in tracking.

That's what I was thinking, an odd choice for someone concerned about privacy.

Seriously, I don't want to make anyone paranoid, but if you're using Chrome you should read up on its privacy policy. I think all the other browsers now have a private browsing option, and Opera is probably as fast as Chrome, so there's not really any need to use it. If you must use it, there's an alternative called Iron, which is Chrome without Google's built in tracking.

Oh dear, just when I thought I was getting up to date...

On the whole, I don't think I need to be too paranoid - just something which will cover my tracks from someone who isn't actually rummaging through my internet pockets.

However, I've noticed something that obviously isn't working. Although I've activated the 'clear browsing data' I've noticed that some - not all (dare I say it, UKpunting is exemplary in this respect) - sites still immediately recognise my nickname as soon as I log in with the first letter - including Punternet, although I've asked the site not to remember me. Where am I going wrong?