Coventrypunter

Mr Speaker, John Bercow -will he fix it?

10 posts in this topic

have they the best person for the job?

and will his possible move to new labour affect his authority?

Never heard of him, but his barnet looks a bit suss to me!!

have they the best person for the job?

and will his possible move to new labour affect his authority?

On becoming Speaker he renounces party affiliations, so he can't cross the floor now - at a General Election the Speaker doesn't stand for a party but just as "The Speaker".

As to whether he can fix it? - well, not on his own, but let's hope so and give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

On becoming Speaker he renounces party affiliations, so he can't cross the floor now - at a General Election the Speaker doesn't stand for a party but just as "The Speaker".

As to whether he can fix it? - well, not on his own, but let's hope so and give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

He is a man who is ready to change his views, he used to be really right wing, and now is a moderate, whether it is through conviction or to remain electable remains to be seen. Let's face it, he would have to be really bad to be worse than Martin. Every journo is now trying to dig some dirt on him, I almost feel sorry for him

John Bercow moved left quite quickly after he married a Labour supporter at 40 years of age. As one MP put it " John discoverered sex and new Labour at the same time"

I cannot see why you should. He was one of only 3 Tories to support the Govt's proposals in strict liability at third reading.

I cannot see why you should. He was one of only 3 Tories to support the Govt's proposals in strict liability at third reading.

Oh, I didn't know that - utter twat then, we're doomed :eek:

Oh, I didn't know that - utter twat then, we're doomed :eek:

well it's already through the Commons anyway. It's in the Lords now so it makes fuck-all difference who's speaker in the Commons. Obviously there will probably be ping-pong at the end, where it goes back and forth for a bit; but looking at the hostility that's instantly coming at him from his own party I think he'll have bigger issues to deal with in the coming weeks and months.

Yeah he is my MP and he wrote several times to me saying we would support the Labour line.

It is a pity he is now speaker, as there is no chance to vote him out. The Buckingham area is very Conservative, and it could be his constituency was getting fed up with him. Maybe UKIP won't tow the line of not standing against him.

He is part of the problem so I dont think he will fix it. :eek: