Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
banshee

Outing

9 posts in this topic

A WG friend of mine has had her real name,phone numbers and even her home street name placed as an advert in our local paper. Evidently a former boy friend has an axe to grind. She is obviously very upset but is loathe to take action because of her activities. Is there any way she can seek redress as she may well have to move yet risk further harassment

It has been (presumably?) printed and published now? It won't be possible to put the genie back in the bottle!

What is the advertisement? Does it purport to be the WG's own ad, but revealing more that is normal, or is it a "Public Information" notice?

In either case I'd have thought that a telephone call to the paper could stop the next week's insertion (such small ads often run for three weeks). If it looks like her own ad, she simply say that she didn't place the ad, which has nothing to do with her, and is causing her serious embarassment. If it is a PI ad, then she wants to point out that even though a solo WG does nothing illegal, the paper has no business outing her without very careful research.

If ads can be placed on-line, the paper's conditions of contract are probably also available on-line, and I'm sure there will be a wishy washy provision as to nothing "immoral or illegal" which should be mentioned.

IMHO the bastard who plays this sort of game should be put in the stocks!

Thanks for your comments and advice. The advert is pretty graphic and of course appears to be hers. He appears bent on causing constant trouble.

I imagine most local papers have a way of screening for malicious ads, fake death notices and the like, surprised they accepted this one. After all there must be loads of dumped blokes etc, who would stoop to this. Go to citizens advice.

He can be prosecuted.

He will have had to place and pay for the ad.... if by credit card (which is usual) there will be a record of this. He may also have placed the booking via email though he could easily have invented a fake one.

Laws in England and Scotland are different but she should go to the police.

Thats strange normally you have to show ID just to put an engagement or funeral notice in a local paper.

Thats strange normally you have to show ID just to put an engagement or funeral notice in a local paper.

You don't have to show any ID - most classifieds are arranged over the phone these days. No need to any proof of ID at all.

A WG friend of mine has had her real name,phone numbers and even her home street name placed as an advert in our local paper. Evidently a former boy friend has an axe to grind. She is obviously very upset but is loathe to take action because of her activities. Is there any way she can seek redress as she may well have to move yet risk further harassment

Harassment is a crime under section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. She should talk to the Police and the Newspaper to prevent further publication, because they have a duty of care under section 1 to not facilitate.

Edited by WykeTyke

in my local papers you have to take in your id either passport or driving licence and a 2 current bills

i cant imagine a newspaper allowing any tom dick or harry to set up an advert but i also know that the sport dont ask for any id just a credit /debit car to pay for the advert