elrond

Independent and Teela Sanders

8 posts in this topic

Another article in the independent by Robert Verkaik. A mixture of street and indoor. Comments from Teela with an interview from Ian. I have skim read it, not all positive or negative, tried to be balanced but ends on a down beat.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/sex-industry/vice-uk-britains-booming-prostitution-industry-940078.html

Follow on from what Cellmore had to say about the Middle Classes :D

Sanders suggests that it is the middle classes who are driving the current boom in sexual services. "It could be argued that the middle classes are monopolising the customer base of the sex industry as business entrepreneurs, property owners, conglomerates and legitimate multinationals form a lasting landmark on the high street to specifically target men with disposable income."

Sanders says that as more and more middle class men are paying for sex, there is a contingent trend among the numbers of middle class women who regard selling their bodies as a justifiable means of generating high income.

Another article from today's Independent which appears to be doing a special feature on the sex industry including Sleeping around: The law of sexual supply and demand by Catherine Townsend.

Townsend whilst being 'horrified' at full sex being available for £15 in London concludes:

...I think it's wrong that the minister for women, Harriet Harman, is using the report to bolster her campaign to criminalise the sale of sex. This can't be the answer. It will lead to the equivalent of outlawing abortion: the services that people end up with will be even more dangerous.

Evidence from other countries, including Sweden, suggests that criminalising clients or sex workers can make things riskier not safer for those who trade sex. If the government could register (and tax!) brothels, clamp down hard on much more unsafe street prostitution, and ensure regular health and STD tests for sex workers, I believe both workers and clients would be safer and healthier.

But first, we must remove the moral judgements from the legislative process and accept the fact that sex always has, and always will, sell. The law of sexual supply and demand is illustrated at dinner parties, when my friends and I ask how much it would cost to buy them for the night, and post outrageous scenarios. It's just a game, but the end result is that everyone has a price. And as long as the sex takes place between two consenting adults, who are we to judge them?

B

Bumped, in case WykeTyke doesn't get the chance before G deletes the old threads.

I'm lecturing for Teela in Leeds in the next week or so. She's a good ol' stick. 'In-door sex work and the law'

Madam Becky

www.madambeckyadams.co.uk

I'm lecturing for Teela in Leeds in the next week or so. She's a good ol' stick. 'In-door sex work and the law'

Madam Becky

Who’s the intended audience? – Not undergraduates I hope!!.... :eek:

Why not - are undergrads not capable of taking part in reasoned debate? They could be future Social Workers or lawyers who would benefit from a rounded education and some knowledge of the true facts instead of feminazi propaganda.

Indeed it is. Teela has used my old 'Personal Services' TV show as a teaching aid for many years. They seem to be very interested in the normality of working in flats and parlours. Always good fun!