Coventrypunter

Viral Marketing

12 posts in this topic

Many civilian firms use social networking sites to promote their products. Sites like facebook and twitter.

I have noted a steady increase of service providers in this industry using these sites and forums like this to promote their product.

Is this effective, or just an annoyance, or do you just ignore it?

Discuss!

Many civilian firms use social networking sites to promote their products. Sites like facebook and twitter.

I have noted a steady increase of service providers in this industry using these sites and forums like this to promote their product.

Discuss!

Its like anything thats available today > Some technology tools CAN BE very useful in the right hands !

I have found Twitter to be a very effective marketing tool for my businesses - its great for generating SPIN when used accross several accounts and businesses!

I used to call it twatter, and never bothered using it until this year, but I am quite suprised how useful it has been as a spin machine.

I wonder what New Labour would be doing with it now if they were still in power > thankfully they aren't !! B)

I use twitter both with a personal account and a MinxyLILF one....i have about 8 followers on my personal one, and 44 on my work one! But for those that expect me to tweet sexy tweets about how horny i am or that im masturbating.....not gonna happen! More likely to tweet about the cricket/f1! It is useful to advertise whether i'm available on cam and such though!

We had over 500 followers on Twitter until it was hacked and was a very very useful marketing tool. We are half way back now and it is once again prooving its usefulness.

I guess with all other written word, if you dont like it or find it annoying, dont read it.xx To read tweets you have to actively follow someone to see their promotion's so it is not an annoyance to those who are not interested. I would rather tweet than email, I have heard of some agencies that constantly email people and personally I think that is an abuse.

Using twitter or facebook is ok but real viral marketing it isn't.

Viral marketing is when a product, idea, concept is passed on like chinese whispers by use of emails, weblinks, media, word of mouth and creates a snowball effect.

Lots of underground bands use You Tube to great effect. The problem our industry has is that everything we do has already been done so it would not cause much 'hype' which is what makes a good virus. If a gorilla came into House of Divine of tapped danced and I videoed it then that would be good.

Not wanting to blow our own trumpet but here is good viral marketing -

House of Divine - Guardian website.

This was before everyone started using Twitter obviously. I have one person to thank for this and he knows who he is.

oooh forgot this one too.

The Sun

Daily circulation of The Sun is 7,700,000 and is the tenth biggest newspaper in any language in the world. Not sure how much an advert would cost us in that newspaper.

The Sun

Daily circulation of The Sun is 7,700,000 and is the tenth biggest newspaper in any language in the world. Not sure how much an advert would cost us in that newspaper.

Sorry if I am fick but do you see the sun piece as being good for your business?

Do readers read that then google house of divine?

(I suspect yes, actually)

do you subscribe to the view that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Edited by Coventrypunter

The Sun

Lib-Dem MP Julia Goldsworthy labelled the brothel’s use of Twitter 'cynical and inappropriate'.

For the love of God.

Sorry if I am fick but do you see the sun piece as being good for your business?

Do readers read that then google house of divine?

(I suspect yes, actually)

do you subscribe to the view that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

We went from 60 followers to 400+ in 24 hours. If that's bad publicity then yes I subscribe to it that instance. We now have 1338.

CP you are missing the point I was making about viral marketing but I appreciate your position. At the time us being on Twitter was something new in the industry, when something goes 'viral' it's because it's different to the norm, another agency going on twitter or any other social networking site is not going to go viral now as it's old hat and has been done to death already.

People have attempted to use 'viral' negative marketing to in the past in this industry but that normally fails unless there is an element of truth on which to feed the virus and allow to spread naturally.

When we first went on Twitter we were vilified on this very board, people were scaremongering about how their details were used, that was this the kind of publicity we wanted, it won't last blah blah blah. Now nearly everyone is at it, every hour or every day. Perhaps it really was a crap idea ?

Perhaps the website written on a blimp or projected on to Battersea Power Station should be considered for someone wanting to make an impact. I have an idea but it's very embryonic.

We went from 60 followers to 400+ in 24 hours. If that's bad publicity then yes I subscribe to it that instance. We now have 1338.

CP you are missing the point I was making about viral marketing but I appreciate your position. At the time us being on Twitter was something new in the industry, when something goes 'viral' it's because it's different to the norm, another agency going on twitter or any other social networking site is not going to go viral now as it's old hat and has been done to death already.

People have attempted to use 'viral' negative marketing to in the past in this industry but that normally fails unless there is an element of truth on which to feed the virus and allow to spread naturally.

When we first went on Twitter we were vilified on this very board, people were scaremongering about how their details were used, that was this the kind of publicity we wanted, it won't last blah blah blah. Now nearly everyone is at it, every hour or every day. Perhaps it really was a crap idea ?

Perhaps the website written on a blimp or projected on to Battersea Power Station should be considered for someone wanting to make an impact. I have an idea but it's very embryonic.

BTW this came up in my civilian work where we use social networking sites heavily to promote our website, as well as tv adverts. I was curious to see if there were parrallels.

Many a true word Mr D - I quite like the idea of the blimp and/or Battersea Power Station - could you also include pictures of the dish/es of the day?

Discuss!

Well before the days of twitter, unless the service provider puts it on their actual website (which isnt always an option as they are usually managed by a web author rather than the service providers) there wasnt much options if they wanted to post news or short announcements.

There was an Email distribution list that you could sign up to but some punters kick up a stink if they suddenly get an email out of the blue from a service provider. (well they could have retired from punting since they registered or not interested anymore) so not a good option. (I also hate that new "Wink" thing on Adult w0rk. Dont call me, I'll call you)

Best for punting is somewhere a service provider can post easily (Via a mobile, or laptop) , without the hassle of spamming punters email inbox. And where a punter can have a look to see if theres anything new/interesting recently when they want to.

Although theres others mechanisms about I think twitter has become the prefered choice now. Even Im on it. (although my tweets are usually drunken ramblings). And you dont have to register with your real name or anything. (Although Overworked was taken already by some drunk guy in Australia)

I do follow my local places. Sometimes been a tweet when someones available and Ive thought "hmm why not" or a discount. Or someones away. Or someone new joined. Or some new pic of someone. Saves me trawlling the different websites as twitter merges all the places tweets together so I dont have to search them all seperately.

Havent seen any service providers on facebook. But Im not on that. Think if I had a facebook page with pic of me, friend and family Id rather keep that very seperate from punting.

Edited by Overworked