Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wanderlust

Mayor of London consultation

9 posts in this topic

See http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/crime/vaw/

Which has a link on stopping violence against women (which all reasonable people want to see stopped, needless to say!), with a pdf document and an online survey of 'Do you agree that violence against women is bad and apple pie is good?' sort.

Whilst not one of the worst documents i've seen on the topic it does, like so many official publications, conflate trafficking and prostitution, inferring that all foreign wgs are forced. There is an inference too that prostiution and violence are inevitably linked and the usual waffle about tackling demand. Nowhere does it acknowledge that some (most) prostitution is voluntary or a case of being perceived as the 'least bad option.'

As ever, Poppy are cited but the authors appear not to have to spoken to either the IUSW nor the ECP; nor, for that matter to any individual wg.

One has until 20/7 to write in expressing views. I have completed the survey doing my utmost to draw the distinction between voluntary prostiution and forced and questioning the use of Poppy/Eaves as a source of objective evidence. I'd encourage others to do so too.

Frankly I expected better from Boris Johnson.

Thanks for that. I completed the questionaire, pointing out the lack of consultation with the organisations that speak for sex workers. I to am disapointed in Boris. Someone on here did mention that Boris was trying to close down soho, or was that westminster council or both As well Boris seems to want to clamp down on advertising.

I to am disapointed in Boris.

I'm surprised that you're surprised at Boris Johnson's mediocre politician's flannel!

Personally, I never expected Boris to emerge as a super-hero in shining armour, righting all the wrongs that the evil Red Ken had wrought in his years of misrule.

Predictably, he's mouthing the same old platitudes that politicos have used since time immemorial in order to make it sound as if he's leading the charge when in actual fact, he's bumbling along somewhere in the middle distance with his hands in his pockets.

Boris has little interest in truly bringing about change of any sort - he's got a vested interest in maintaining the status quo which affords him and his kind so many privileges. He was elected mainly because he isn't Ken Livingstone, just as David Cameron is likely to be elected mainly because he isn't Gordon Brown and the result will be much the same.

Words fail me...! :D

...and on reading the questionnaire, I found these 'schoolboy howlers' that could well have been penned by The Boz himself:

"1.Petition and collaborate with the health sector to ensure that policies incorporate all forms of violence against women and that they are effectively implemented.

3. Integrate violence against women into the London Housing Strategy"

It really is an exceptionally inept use of language!

...and on reading the questionnaire, I found these 'schoolboy howlers' that could well have been penned by The Boz himself:

"1.Petition and collaborate with the health sector to ensure that policies incorporate all forms of violence against women and that they are effectively implemented.

3. Integrate violence against women into the London Housing Strategy"

It really is an exceptionally inept use of language!

Mmm, more Borat than Boris, methinks. Perhaps, as Minister for Women, Harriet Harperson should be informed of this threat to the female sex?

Which has a link on stopping violence against women (which all reasonable people want to see stopped, needless to say!), with a pdf document and an online survey of 'Do you agree that violence against women is bad and apple pie is good?' sort.

Whilst not one of the worst documents i've seen on the topic it does, like so many official publications, conflate trafficking and prostitution, inferring that all foreign wgs are forced. There is an inference too that prostiution and violence are inevitably linked and the usual waffle about tackling demand. Nowhere does it acknowledge that some (most) prostitution is voluntary or a case of being perceived as the 'least bad option.'

As ever, Poppy are cited but the authors appear not to have to spoken to either the IUSW nor the ECP; nor, for that matter to any individual wg.

One has until 20/7 to write in expressing views. I have completed the survey doing my utmost to draw the distinction between voluntary prostiution and forced and questioning the use of Poppy/Eaves as a source of objective evidence. I'd encourage others to do so too.

Done it too - I did find that the language used in the text and questions was so obviously biased it actually made it quite hard to answer, but I tried to make the point that prostitution and trafficking are not the same thing, are not intrinsically linked and that by putting them in the same sentence re objectives, it pretty much proves that the compilers have their minds made up already (which if they've only consulted the likes of Poppy and Eaves will be no surprise to anybody).

It's a very bad document but I've completed it and hope others to do. We need to nip this kind of rubbish in the bud.

Boris Johnson writes regularly for the Telgraph and it's often possible to comment on his articles, which regularly attack excessive government, elf n' safety fanatics, pressure groups etc, etc. This perhaps is a good forum to keep making the point that he should confine himself to pressing the Met to use existing law against rape, ABH, GBH, coercion, forced marriage etc etc rather then engaging in peculiar and loaded 'consultations'.

This survey was rubbish - a complete waste of tax payers' money