Therodder

The Brothel Creeper

14 posts in this topic

The brothel creeper

As the debate rages about the pros and cons of legalising prostitution, Sebastian Horsley - a man who's slept with more than 1,000 prostitutes - gives a controversial and candid account of his experience of paying for sex

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2004/sep/19/features.magazine37

Er, it's all fascinating stuff but Sebastian Horsley has been dead since June and this article is over six years old :confused:

The brothel creeper

As the debate rages about the pros and cons of legalising prostitution, Sebastian Horsley - a man who's slept with more than 1,000 prostitutes - gives a controversial and candid account of his experience of paying for sex

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2004/sep/19/features.magazine37

I'm sure someone on here can beat 1000... I've only been counting the last 5 years and am up to about 200 !

Having read the piece I could not believe it. It sounded like all the cliches of prostitution rolled into one. He was a male whore? Really? He ran a brothel form his back bedroom? His present girlfriend buys him prostitutes, lifed right from Penthouse letters if you ask me

- "Why should I go to the theatre to see rape, sodomy, alcoholism and drug addiction? I can get all that at home."

He sounded like quite the character. Nailed to a cross for 20 minutes? All in the name of art I guess.

Obituary

Edited by SoapyTitWank

I didn't know he'd died until I read that. Why do interesting people die so young? How sad :(

I didn't know he'd died until I read that. Why do interesting people die so young? How sad :(

I agree. I once emailed him after a TV appearance I saw and received a charming, flattering (and predictably barmy) reply almost straight away, ending with an apology for not remembering me if we had met. I assured him that whilst I've met a lot of punters from Hull, I'm sure I would have noticed him :P. May he rest in peace (should he choose to).

Edited by AdorableAmy

I had a slightly ambivalent feeling about him. As a personality and character, I enjoyed the sense of mischief and flamboyancy. His at times irreverent wit was very endearing. When I read some of his exploits, I did at times feel a little like a patient adult who’d encountered an infant trying to shock for attention. But I like that sort of Dandy style and larger than life personality. However, I recall seeing him on some TV programs where he supposedly embodied the ‘typical punter’. While he was hugely amusing, I did not feel he really helped to boost the image of clients as ‘normal people’ that could be someone’s partner, father, son or other male relative to counter all those typical negative stereotypes as he was too busy hamming up the image of the immoral misfit and libertine to make the usual Daily Mail reader types shudder and recoil rather than perhaps show a more ‘balanced’ image of the typical client.... :rolleyes:

Didn't he die just before a show about his life was about to start? What would Harriet H have made of that?

I had a slightly ambivalent feeling about him. As a personality and character, I enjoyed the sense of mischief and flamboyancy. His at times irreverent wit was very endearing. When I read some of his exploits, I did at times feel a little like a patient adult who’d encountered an infant trying to shock for attention. But I like that sort of Dandy style and larger than life personality. However, I recall seeing him on some TV programs where he supposedly embodied the ‘typical punter’. While he was hugely amusing, I did not feel he really helped to boost the image of clients as ‘normal people’ that could be someone’s partner, father, son or other male relative to counter all those typical negative stereotypes as he was too busy hamming up the image of the immoral misfit and libertine to make the usual Daily Mail reader types shudder and recoil rather than perhaps show a more ‘balanced’ image of the typical client.... :rolleyes:

I think there is a dormant dandy that needs unearthing in most of us. Just knowing that you're looking good, stretching your own mind and poking a stick at others. He was the normal fella, the abnormals are most likely the 9-5 ers who live for the weekend, Stella, some draw and Dizzy Rascal.

Er, it's all fascinating stuff but Sebastian Horsley has been dead since June and this article is over six years old :confused:

Alas, poor Sebastian - I knew him well? I didn't read the article but I hope I am right that, whatever the cause, he had a smile on his face. And that his heirs were disappointed! If you can't take it with you, why not have great time getting rid of it before you go? :P Edited by Tiggy 7

Didn't he die just before a show about his life was about to start? What would Harriet H have made of that?

Sebastian was at the opening night. It was the after show party which preceded his overdose and untimely death. I saw the show a few days later. I would recommend his book "Dandy in the Underworld" which can be purchased from Amazon.