Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starman

Islamists Try To Burn Red Light District In Tunisia

11 posts in this topic

Islamists have tried to set fire to a street of brothels in Tunis but were dispersed by police and the military using helicopters, a police official said.

"About an hour ago Islamists tried to get into Abdallah Guech Street to set it on fire," the official said.

"Residents kept them out until the security forces arrived."

Under existing laws, prostitution is illegal, but there are government-sanctioned brothels where prostitutes are provided regular heath checks.

"We cannot accept that women are treated like goods. We demand the closure of all kinds of prostitution houses in Tunisia," 20-year-old protester Anas told AFP, claiming the rally had been organised "spontaneously".

But it's okay to burn them?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/19/3143290.htm?section=world

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/18/6080551-police-disperse-tunisian-protest-in-red-light-district-

Islamists have tried to set fire to a street of brothels in Tunis but were dispersed by police and the military using helicopters, a police official said.

"About an hour ago Islamists tried to get into Abdallah Guech Street to set it on fire," the official said.

Under existing laws, prostitution is illegal, but there are government-sanctioned brothels where prostitutes are provided regular heath checks.

We cannot accept that women are treated like goods. We demand the closure of all kinds of prostitution houses in Tunisia," 20-year-old protester Anas told AFP, claiming the rally had been organised "spontaneously".

Anas sounds a bit of an arse to me.

The hypocrisy of Moslems who say they cannot accept women "being treated as goods" then treating them like an underclass due their religious beliefs is incredible. I have to wonder whether it is the making women more empowered and independent that they're really objecting to.

This is part of the hidden danger of supporting these "popular protests", Egypt so far has been lucky, it could have been another Iran and Tunisia is moving that way rapidly

islamists believe in sharia law,a law that feminists are against,even feminists like julie bindel(prostitute haters) can see how sharia law oppresses women

"We cannot accept that women are treated like goods. We demand the closure of all kinds of prostitution houses in Tunisia," 20-year-old protester Anas told AFP, claiming the rally had been organised "spontaneously".

http://www.abc.net.a...m?section=world

http://worldblog.msn...light-district-

We dont really know how prostitution works in an Islamist country under Islamist laws. Although Tunisia is a lot more westernised than most Arabian countries I suspect being a traditional Tunisian prostitute in a Tunisian brothel cant be a very nice existance given the attitude to even ordinary women in most of the arab world.

It could be that they need closing. The again our insight into these sort of things is limited to what we know from the media or what we assume from the same.

Maybe its a case of the 'do gooders' actually doing good! (closing the brothels )

These would be firestarters are described with the media catchphrase 'Islamists' . There people are much more than Muslims. They're Crackpots, just like the Quaran burning pastor in the good 'ol U.Sof A.

These are the same type of people who would be and in fact are/were , in a different time or place, the footbal hooligan, the skinhead NF supporters, the Catholic churches inquisitors, and of course the archetypal evil, the Nazi who as we all know need classifying as more than Christians!

These people are not Islamists. They dont practice the religeon as demanded in the Quran, they hide behind their own self serving interpretations of passages ( just like the loony Christians) and twist the word of the Quran to suit their own predjudices or satiate dark corners of minds disturbed by years of brainwashing by powerful religeous leaders - as also happens in the Christian world of course.

This it seems to me that this 'shocking' story is more engineered to illustrate and reinforce the western view of evil of the "islamist" rather than report on a genuine effect of political change in Tunisia.

We dont really know how prostitution works in an Islamist country under Islamist laws.

These are the same type of people who would be and in fact are/were , in a different time or place, the footbal hooligan, the skinhead NF supporters, the Catholic churches inquisitors, and of course the archetypal evil, the Nazi who as we all know need classifying as more than Christians!

These people are not Islamists.

This it seems to me that this 'shocking' story is more engineered to illustrate and reinforce the western view of evil of the "islamist" rather than report on a genuine effect of political change in Tunisia.

Thank-you for that Helen! The American tendency to say "My enemy's enemy is my friend" can lead one far off the road!

Thank-you for that Helen! The American tendency to say "My enemy's enemy is my friend" can lead one far off the road!

I seem to recall America supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan against the Russian enemy. If it was not the Taliban, it was the Mujiahadeen. Does anyone know the relationship between Mujiahadeen/Taliban/Al Qaeda/Islamists? Answers on a postcard.

edited to add sweet fa

Edited by dick78

edited to add sweet fa

That Dick, is sometimes the best policy !

islamists believe in sharia law,a law that feminists are against,even feminists like julie bindel(prostitute haters) can see how sharia law oppresses women

You cannot taint all Muslims as extremists. Sharia law like most religious doctrine is open to interpretation to suit a particular ideology ( look up Henry VIII). Open your mind a little and don't believe everything you are told on TV. Islam does not oppress woman in fact it encourages good family values and respect. Yes, I am an hypocrite but thankfully I'm aware of it.